Sponsored by: DashLynx

wont start sometimes HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wont start sometimes HELP PLEASE

my cousin has a 1989 4 runner w/ 3.0
runs drives and idles fine
after running for a 1/2 hour or so we shut it off and go to restart it after an hour or so and it wont fire
turns over fine can smell fuel
so we tried to pull start and it fired right up
after dealing with this for about 2 months and still cant fig
ger anything out is there any one with a sugestion
Old 01-27-2012, 07:16 AM

Yes, use the FSM from the link in my signature, and diagnose the problem - "3VZE MFI System Diagnostics".
Here is a clue:
crank and no start = problem with air, fuel or spark - which one? Have you checked?
push start = you are pressing the gas pedal and the AFM is opening, in turn, turning on your fuel pump.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 AM

well just to keep everyone on the up N up we figured the engine was getting flooded and thats why it wouldnt start. we ran a few back yard machanic tests and figered we would cut off the fuel supply before shutting the engine down so it wouldnt flood. well it still did not sure how but it did. in conclusion we have a toggel switch hooked up to the fuel pump and when the truck desides its not going to start we can turn the pump off and crank it over till it fires up and re turn on the fuel pump. it has worked for now, thats about 3-4 days. we would have push started it atleast 7 times already. to my best knowlage i think fuel is leaking by the injectors or mabey it has something to do with the cold start.. any thoughts
Old 01-31-2012, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would check the cold start injector and the sensors for it, u could always unplug the cold start and see if that makes a difference, it will be harder to start when its been sitting over night but sounds like u have that problem already.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing I ran into is that Toyota pulls full current throught the ignition switch and when it wears out I had intermitant starting problems. After throwing a starter at it with the same problem continueing- I bought 'Painless Performance' remote ignition relay kit for it- not a problem since and I bought a kit for my other truck as well. Reroutes the current throu the relay and relegates the ignition switch to trigger only. One of the best mods to the truck.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:24 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad Braga
... i think fuel is leaking by the injectors or mabey it has something to do with the cold start..
Probably not the cold start, but it could be. I would say your first guess is correct. When you shut it off, the residual pressure leaks into the intake through your bad injector(s). Overnight the fuel evaporates (and since the engine is colder, it is more tolerant of over-rich) and it will start. But if you shut it off for an hour the fuel just sits in the intake, over-riching the mixture and preventing it from starting.

Since it "could" be the cold start circuit and not the injector itself, the suggestion to unplug it is a good one. If that clears up your "warm" start problem then you have a problem with the cold-start timer. If the cold start injector is just leaking, this test won't tell you anything.

You could try "injector cleaner," (it's not expensive) but don't hold your breath. The only real fix would be to pull the injectors and have them serviced (also not that expensive, but you have to get to them. )