Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wont Start!?!?!? (seems to be everyones problem)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wont Start!?!?!? (seems to be everyones problem)

Hello to everyone. Im am new to this forum (came across it looking for answers). I know that this topic has been brought up many times and by reading them all I have just found myself even more confused than when I started. My problem seems to be the same as everyone elses the owns a toyota. I have owned my 94 Toyota 4x4 Std cab pick up for about a year and a half now. Around 5-6 months of owning the truck it started to give me trouble (starting.) I would turn the key and nothing would happen. Didnt even try to turn over, so I push started it, turned it off and tried it again. It worked. It would do this every once in a while then stopped doing it for some time until just recently. Now the truck wont even start after being push started. (turning it off once I got it started and try to start in with key). Not even the clutch cancel button would start the truck. We are about to replace the starter relay (behind glove box). (when we turn the key this makes a clicking noise. There is also relay in the engine compartment (this also clicks.) Could it be these relays or is it the starter/selenoid???? I noticed a trend that when I would leave the ac/heater on when turning truck off it would not start the next time I tried starting it. But recently I have left the air off and still does it (if not worse than before).

Thanks for any help that can be provided. We are totally stumped.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

www.4crawler.com

Do some digging on Roger's site. I bet you find your answer.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:17 PM

Any other suggestions?? Still stuck.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:22 AM

My dad had a problem much like yours with his mazda pickup. You would turn the key and it would just "click". It turned out that the battery cable was shorting out and giving no power to the starter. One we fixed that it started fine.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jeff/Joe
Any other suggestions?? Still stuck.
Did you go through all the diagnostics that Roger suggests on his site? It's in the starter contacts section.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Did you go through all the diagnostics that Roger suggests on his site? It's in the starter contacts section.
Yeup... sounds like starter contacts. Mine does the same thing, but it's not that bad - yet.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:14 AM

i had the same exact problem. i just replaced both battery terminal cables. havn't had a problem since. also, you can clean the terminals, that worked sometimes.

also if i turned on my headlights it would make a clicking sound if i remember right.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nismoracer beat me to it... you have the classic symptoms of corroded battery cables or battery terminals.

The starter motor is on a different circuit than the ingnition and alternator, so if neither the starter motor wants to crank and the ignition doesn't fire when push-starting it, then the common point is at the battery and/or cables (including the ground cable too).

The reason the ignition doesn't fire when push starting it, is because the alternator needs the battery to supply current through the rotor before it will "generate" any power itself. Once the alternator starts producing power, it will provide itself with rotor current from it's own generated power.

The bad cables or battery terminal connections are preventing both the starter motor and the alternator from getting any power.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
From your description... sounds like the voltage is enough to trip the relays but not high enough to start (kick the selenoid over). I'll go with everybody else and say the starter contacts are shot. 4Crawler has a section on replacing these. It's easy except removing the starter for the first time is kinda tricky but you can do it! Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:41 AM

Alright guys a new day and new problems.This morning I cleaned the battery cable connection (just on battery), I pulled out the relay inside the cab behind glove box and gave it a try. The truck tried turning over but didnt. So I put the relay back in, and tried starting it, after a second or two of it trying, it finally started. Started very rough but with time smoothed out. So I turned it off and tried to start it again. Wouldnt start. Didnt even try to. So I thought maybe it has to do with the relay. So I took it out again and tried firing it up. Again tried to turning over but never got what it need to get it all the way over. Thank you guys for your time and suggestions. My dad read over Rogers thing but I never got to ask him about it. Now what do you guys think????
Old 01-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i had the same problems with my starter found out the the shaft the engages the flywheel was all worn so i thought i could get a new shaft well i was wrong they dont even make the shaft so i had to buy a new stater it starts fine now
Old 01-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if you have the 22re it takes all of 30mins to pull the starter
Old 01-11-2006, 07:48 PM

Alright guys a new day and new problems.This morning I cleaned the battery cable connection (just on battery), I pulled out the relay inside the cab behind glove box and gave it a try. The truck tried turning over but didnt. So I put the relay back in, and tried starting it, after a second or two of it trying, it finally started. Started very rough but with time smoothed out. So I turned it off and tried to start it again. Wouldnt start. Didnt even try to. So I thought maybe it has to do with the relay. So I took it out again and tried firing it up. Again tried to turning over but never got what it need to get it all the way over. Thank you guys for your time and suggestions. My dad read over Rogers thing but I never got to ask him about it. Now what do you guys think????

Have you checked the charge on your battery? If you are having any kind of connection problems with the battery terminals and cables, then your battery may not have been getting charged when the motor was running, and it has been drained.

Also, it might not be enough to just clean to post connections. Ohm out your battery cables and replace them if you read more than a few Ohms, because if there was any corrosion on the posts, then there could be corrosion inside the insulation too, aggravating the problem. That goes for the ground cable too.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now what do you guys think????
Ummm... still thinking starter contacts here. You're still describing the same symptoms I have.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:36 AM

well we finally figured it out with your guys help. Today my dad and I cleaned the connections on the battery again. Then we took the wheel off and looked at the starter. This is where we found the problem. Looking at the starter we noticed one of the connection on the starter was loose. So my dad pushed it back in, I gave it a shot and it fired up. So to test this, he loosened it back to where it was, I gave it a shot and no go. So it was a bad/loose connection with one of the ones on the starter. Since the starter is still good and not wanting to replace something that works. We put some adhessive on it to get it to stay where its supposed to be. I am later going to get some zip ties to make sure it doesnt go anywhere. Its a temporary fix but until I run into some money (Im a poor college student lol) it will do the trick. Want to thank you guys so much for helping us with this problem. Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:24 AM

Now the truck wont even start after being push started.

Good to hear you got the starter working.

A loose wire on the starter solenoid wouldn't prevent you from push starting the vehicle like you described earlier, so sounds like you had a couple problems going on... loose connection on your starter, and bad connection at your battery.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:53 PM

reading that over i typed it wrong. I meant that after i got it started from getting pushed I would turn it off to see what would happen. When I did that it wouldnt start. Im sorry. I typed that wrong.