Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Windshield replacement and trim 2nd gen 1995

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 06:17 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Windshield replacement and trim 2nd gen 1995

Hi YOtechers.
I seem to be spazzing out here. I have spent some time over my last several days-off cycles researching windshield replacement. And now its my week off again, and I am surely confused.

I think it was Yotard had finally had the best solution (replacing windshield). Guess I forgot to mention, busted original grey and have a bronze from a 94 (had orginally bought for motor) with pristene brown interior, and bronze glass. Got all moved over save the windshield.

Anyway, I can't recall ever seeing a good consensus regarding install. I thought you all had 'agreed' that some rubber trim to protect glass - cutting off the excess - but can't find that thread even if it made sense - rubber around side, and not replace the chrome stuff. I intend to have a glass company come by and install it. Figure that s worth easy 100 bux.

Any of you all that have done that mind giving an opinion? I dont recall any photos of what looked proper.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 452 Likes on 249 Posts
im having a hard time deciphering some of what your saying about grey and bronze, is that the tint color? but it sounds like your about to pay someone to come replace your windshield, in which case I don't know why your asking about install instructions. the rubber your asking about is just garnish in order to find a cheaper alternative to the chrome trim, since its about 300 bucks. I had the rubber trim installed when I had my windshield replaced last year. just tell them you want some generic rubber edge instead of the oem chrome. theres a ton of posts about the rubber trim instead of the chrome.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by coopster
Hi YOtechers.
I seem to be spazzing out here. I have spent some time over my last several days-off cycles researching windshield replacement. And now its my week off again, and I am surely confused.

I think it was Yotard had finally had the best solution (replacing windshield). Guess I forgot to mention, busted original grey and have a bronze from a 94 (had orginally bought for motor) with pristene brown interior, and bronze glass. Got all moved over save the windshield.

Anyway, I can't recall ever seeing a good consensus regarding install. I thought you all had 'agreed' that some rubber trim to protect glass - cutting off the excess - but can't find that thread even if it made sense - rubber around side, and not replace the chrome stuff. I intend to have a glass company come by and install it. Figure that s worth easy 100 bux.

Any of you all that have done that mind giving an opinion? I dont recall any photos of what looked proper.
Thanks in advance.
If that glass donor hasn't already had the glass removed you need to be very aware of the odds it isn't going to survive being removed with out being damaged.

Certainly no professional I've ever heard will say they can get them out "no problem".

There is only the option of a glued in window for this era. The overseas first gen had a gasket style that requires modifications to the US glass.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Unlikely that glass will survive removal process.
As mentioned above later gens use urethane adhesive to secure the glass, not rubber gasket.
Trim collects and traps moisture and debris and hastens rusting. Chrome even more so.
I do not have trim on my new windshield. Easier to rinse and dry.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Unlikely that glass will survive removal process.
As mentioned above later gens use urethane adhesive to secure the glass, not rubber gasket.
Trim collects and traps moisture and debris and hastens rusting. Chrome even more so.
I do not have trim on my new windshield. Easier to rinse and dry.
I knew you all would help! Thanks!!
Well, I had my son help me, bought a horror -fright cable windshield tool Worked pretty good. Got one small nick (? I suppose) in upper right corner. Not much, maybe 1/4 inch wide. Probably mostly me with either bad angle, or too much tension. The original grey windshied (or maybe was clear?) had busted some years back. But yes, the one I removed two weeks ago is bronze. Also swapped all the bronze glass from the rust bucket as well, already have all but windshield in place. I had cleaned out , derusted - not that it was too bad - the inside bottoms of the doors, sprayed urethane or bedliner whatever inside the doors, and put insulation sound deadener mats inside doors. Plus cleaned the regulators, the motors, and the lock mechanisms.

/end-aside Sorry. Back to the glass: So just have them put plain urethane adhesive, and I guess it somewhat squishes out the sides?, so I won't need any rubber gasket or anything to protect glass edge exposed on outside? I think that's something I'm confused and concerned about.

At this point I can't see back up my original posting, but I had some rust, not too bad - on the 95 (original/target) windshield frame - that I had cleaned off , put some JB weld IIRC or a similar product to fill in the larger pits which were on the upper right corner as well, interesting enough. Then primered it and painted it. Nothing fancy, I intend to repaint the entire body with implement paint. (Massey-Fegurson gray, from Tractor supply.) Not intended to be a show piece.

I probably have pics of the frame with rust, and after repair, if anyone wants or is interested. Somewhere. That was at least one computer back, 2016 before I spent the fall down in LA.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:24 PM

Cool.
Yes, glass tech puts inverted V bead of urethane. It's plenty thick that it will squeeze out. On website about windshield install advises NOT to use body filler to even up dips and bumps on install surface. Less unnecessary layers is better. Urethane adhesive will accommodate dips and bumps.
I suggest you ask glass shop whether or not urethane can be applied directly on bare, clean metal. IF it can, I would clean metal thoroughly, have them install windshield, prime metal not covered by urethane, paint as appropriate.

Re: edge of glass, I also though I'd need to protect it, so I had rubber trim installed on glass, then I trimmed the "wings" (illustrated somewhere on my build thread) off to expose the gap - because I want to be able to rinse the gap and dry it thoroughly.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-06-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:22 AM

Hi Mr. Rad~
Yours was one of the threads I had looked at a while back; I recall the diagram of where you trimmed, but didnt see any photo of trimmed-in-place.
I can't recall, but another big post, where they had serious cancer down on the lower right corner. (YoTard, or 87yota?? Not good with names; sorry). Anyway they had filled it I thought.
Think thats where I got the idea to fill the larger pits.
I will ask when I find someone to place windshield.

Thanks for the help. Apologies in advance for delayed responses; go to work manana, and I do 14 days in row. (15 cuz it's nights).
Old 04-08-2019, 05:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the windshield replaced on my '94 Yota PU a couple months ago. I opted to not reuse the original trim {except the one on the cowl panel. The installer supplied the rubber trim to go around the sides and top of the windshield. Rubber shaped like a 'T' with the botom leg pressed into the urethane. Looks good.
Cost me $325 total. Tinted and shaded.
Oh yeah, he was mobile. Came to my shop.

Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 04-08-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by coopster
Hi Mr. Rad~
Yours was one of the threads I had looked at a while back; I recall the diagram of where you trimmed, but didnt see any photo of trimmed-in-place.
The youtube video on this post shows me rinsing the gap: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52169488
If you look closer the rubber was trimmed.