Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Wideband o2 sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Innovate = Junk in my experience. I burned out two controllers boxes in 2 months. Switched to AEM and havent had a problem since (Installed on various vehicles for testing pruposes).

I used a wideband in my 22RE truck after a complete rebuild to monitor running conditions. The truck will run in closed loop most of them time (from 14.0-15.0 AFR and back). Under 3/4 throttle or uphill the truck will switch to open loop and run 11.5 AFR which is a tad rich but works fine. Playing with the AFM may help to adjust the open loop.

An interesting thing about this... Is the truck will usually go lean at full throttle or high RPM (14.0 AFR). I do not know why or how to correct this problem. This may be common Im not sure. In any case, I have since removed the wideband and the plugs look normal after many miles

For those who simply want to make sure their regular o2 sensor is working, check for closed loop at the diagnostics port under the hood (system cycles between 0-1V on mulitimeter).

Last edited by the171; 12-08-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:54 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by the171
Innovate = Junk in my experience. I burned out two controllers boxes in 2 months. Switched to AEM and havent had a problem since (Installed on various vehicles for testing pruposes).

I used a wideband in my 22RE truck after a complete rebuild to monitor running conditions. The truck will run in closed loop most of them time (from 14.0-15.0 AFR and back). Under 3/4 throttle or uphill the truck will switch to open loop and run 11.5 AFR which is a tad rich but works fine. Playing with the AFM may help to adjust the open loop.

An interesting thing about this... Is the truck will usually go lean at full throttle or high RPM (14.0 AFR). I do not know why or how to correct this problem. This may be common Im not sure. In any case, I have since removed the wideband and the plugs look normal after many miles

For those who simply want to make sure their regular o2 sensor is working, check for closed loop at the diagnostics port under the hood (system cycles between 0-1V on mulitimeter).
I believe the 22re and 3vze use the same sized AFM... Maybe not, but pretty close. With ~25% more displacement, it explains the running lean vs rich...
Old 12-09-2013, 12:03 AM
RSR

Originally Posted by cpljenkins01
So I now understand more about adjusting these 3vze I was not aware of the purpose of adjusting the air adle screw until now. I was running at 10% (stock) timing and was just adjusting the afm back and forth to get the best milage and not getting low end rattle. Well I could not get the low end rattle to stop without dumping loads of fuel in it until I started messing with the air adle screw. I did not think that would affect the low end rattle but it does. Still. It dialed in perfect but it helped a lot. Can anyone send me a pic of what it does when I turn the air adle screw either direction? Also I read before where some took it out and drilled it out for performance reasons? Is this true? If so can you show me how?
Not actually the screw you're adjusting, but rather the spring inside the top cover... need to do it adjust the tension on the AFM flapper... The screw is the bypass screw, which adjusts the amount of air that goes by during idle. Look at the supra swap forums. Same principles, different AFM...
Old 12-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
O ok does it effect it differently when its cold? I notice when my truck is still cold it will sputter when I tap the throttle willl this have anything to do with it?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:54 PM
RSR

Originally Posted by cpljenkins01
O ok does it effect it differently when its cold? I notice when my truck is still cold it will sputter when I tap the throttle willl this have anything to do with it?
It does, but you should only mess w/ the AFM idle air bypass screw if swapping in a Supra AFM for the stock 3vze one. The stock AFM screw is set at factory in its optimal position and that's why it's capped/sealed to prevent tampering.

If happening when cold, it suggests possibly a TPS issue, a throttle plate in need of cleaning, an issue with your throttle air bypass screw, or something related to fuel delivery. The AFM isn't the likely culprit. The lone exception being if you run a K&N oil filter, in which case, your entire AFM may be sticking and likely has internal damage -- in which case, you need to replace it, not mess with a screw...

Before modding your intake, I'd recommend you get your stock setup running optimally. See my 3vze upper plenum cleaning writeup as it covers your throttle plate somewhat too...

Last edited by RSR; 12-10-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When I got the truck someone had already messed with it and had it all messed up I am just trying to get it dialed back in the best I can.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Punchy
I have had no problems running a narrow band (stock) with my linear needle gauge for years now.
On a normal running engine the ECU is in a constant state of flux of high and low across stioch during idle and cruise, It does this to keep synce and look for problems.
During hard throttle and WOT the ECU goes into Open Loop and dumps more fuel.

In my opinion I cannot see the use of a wideband on a OBD-1 EFI when you cannot program the ECU.
Wide or narrow has the same affect on OBD-1, Its always trying to find stioch and if its in a constant state of to low or too high depending on its running condition it throws a code.

I could understand if this was in the 96 and newer toy section but still not needed.

Ok So I just read this again. You have a needle Air Fuel Ratio Gauge? in use with a normal (narrow ) band o2 sensor?? where did you get it and how did you set it up? Just splice one of the o2 wires? pictures please

and thank you, because I think you just saved me a bunch of money
Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you mount the gauge in cab you can run the gauge sensor wire through the firewall (drivers side or passenger side depending where you mount the gauge)
and run it to the test port near the battery and plug it into the OX1 tab.

If you accidently put that wire in any of the other tabs (other then OX2)you will toast the gauge instantly.

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/black...tio-gauge.aspx
Cluster setup AF-Vac/boost-Fuel Pressure.
Attached Thumbnails Wideband o2 sensor?-100_0358.jpg   Wideband o2 sensor?-100_0359.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
you are running that into the diagnosis port box?