86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Who wants Mods for the 3.0?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who wants Mods for the 3.0?

I'm in the process of getting proto-work for my '04 Solara. I'm getting the first intake with a MAF adjustment processor that leans out the mixture and the transmission shift kit for the G2 from a shop in MD. When they found out I bought a '95 T4R they were jazzed and asked if I'd trade cars when they're done with the Solara.

They wanted to know if there was a market for aftermarket mods for the gen 2, 3.0 4Runners. They made intakes for the Mazda 6s and got an average 16hp to the wheels. Nice! We'll see what they get on the 3.3l Solara. They make anything there's need for, so if a community such as this cries out for a fix, they'll find a solution.

So what, if anything do you think we need? I see that headers are done. I see some home-mods to the VAFM. Josh (the front man) said he's most interested in a MAFci conversion. (the ci refers to their homegrown chip that converts MAF signals to what the ECU needs to lean out the mixture as needed for peak HP.) The chip is programmable so they set it for proper mix at each rpm (I think it's a 100 rpm band but don't quote me.) If you get the software you can tweak it as needed to accomodate other mods. That should make a huge boost over the VAFM "choke the engine" intake. Could be double what they get with the other intakes they make.

If you're curious, go to www.cp-e.com. If there's someone living near Beltsville, MD that can give up their ride for a couple weeks, you could get a free rig out of the deal for being the first. www.cp-e.com

Sorry for the novel, but here's the bottom line. Anyone want this? I'm getting nothing from the other forums. YotaTech seems more into this sort of thing. So put in your two cents even if to say "I'd never buy it" or "My 3.0 is powerful enough" (liar!). Or if you have another product that you wish was out there. They need to know there's a market before they spend their time on our truck.
Thanks!
Old 06-11-2005, 05:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys if you want your 3vze to have more power and will buy an intake system which converts us to MAF, let him know! My vafm swap is nearing completion as well....
Old 06-11-2005, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

If it makes more power, and decent gas milage, I am IN.
Tell em' theres one ready to buy!
KEnt
Old 06-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by livelarg
If it makes more power, and decent gas mileage, I am IN. Tell em' theres one ready to buy!
KEnt
I'm in as well as long as the price is reasonable.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Keggo
I'm in as well as long as the price is reasonable.

I perfer mine to be rediculously expensive, but that's just me.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:50 PM

I'll take one! Uh..wait a minute...what is it exactly? Easy on the acronyms. Oh yeah, need that for a 1st gen.

Last edited by enutter; 06-11-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:05 PM

Down to the C and BumpinYota, can you please explain to me what it is exactly that you are talking about? I am interested, but I like to know what is exactly being done and how things work.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto and ditto (1st gen)
Old 06-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

I'd be intereseted depending on cost
Old 06-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Hahahaha, maybe if I had a little more money I wouldn't mind... hahahah
Old 06-11-2005, 05:23 PM

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Originally Posted by enutter
I'll take one! Uh..wait a minute...what is it exactly? Easy on the acronyms. Oh yeah, need that for a 1st gen.
VAFM = Vane Air Flow Meter - found on these engines ---> 22r/22re/22rte/3ve

MAF = Mass Air Flow Meter - found on any vehicle 96 or later. 5vze is an example

The difference being the VAFM on our 1st and 2nd gen yotas has less than 4 square inches of area for the whole engine to breathe through - and the air must force a flapper out of the way to get that.... A MAF on the other hand is a hollow tube with a heated wire in it. A 3" diameter MAF has over 7sq inches of surface area and has no obstruction...

Currently the Split second 3.0 MAF is on the market but all told the expense is around 500 to convert it.... I hope this option will be cheaper than that, and hopefully produce more power than the mod Im almost done with...

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 06-11-2005 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:45 PM

Oh, I get it now. Now due to the increased air flow wouldn't our injectors and such need to be tweaked as well. The 3.4 injectors are bigger and with that massive increase in air intake that would be necessary correct? Or am I wrong? Bumpin Yota, I would like to see a write up and some pictures of what you are doing.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:13 PM

Soon! Im hoping the 3vze injectors will keep up...
Old 06-11-2005, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the tutorial Bumpin'. You were right... I was in the wrong place on the other forum.

Judging from their past works, any product they make would include a mandrel bended alum. pipe with the MAF sensor, filter and any wiring connections needed. The kit they sell for Mazda has pretty easy instructions. Then there's the microchip that takes the MAF sensor output and uses it to talk to the ECU, tricking it to lean out the mixture. Haven't dug into the 4R electronics yet so I'm just assuming there. So it sounds like it's worth letting them monkey with my truck.

I'll see if they get a warm-fuzzy about the market after browsing YotaTech. Stay tuned.

For the Gen 1 guys, find a guinea pig that can drop the truck off in MD for a bit. Someone in the area could give it up for a couple weeks for the stage one proto, then pop in a few weeks later for the production pipe refit. Also if there's a local Gen 2-3.0 in MD, VA, KY, etc. that would like to be the first... I'd give it up. For me to do it I have to drive 1500 miles round trip. That's about $180 in gas and 28 hours of my life. I'd be more than happy to buy it once it's done.

Keep any Q's coming and I'll relay to the shop.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:15 PM

I'd be interested to hear more about the mod, but I'd also want a realistic appraisal of what other components will need upgraded or modified as a result of adding a MAF. What are the risks to the reliablilty of the other, stock components of the system?

I've done a lot of mods to my ride, and nearly all of them cost me more money in other, unexpected areas in order to compenstate for one thing or another. I'm sure this type of project isn't without risks and trade offs. I'd just like to know what they might be.

Ed
Old 06-12-2005, 08:39 AM

Bumpin'Yota can add/correct me but any intake system improvement will increase HP and mileage and will leave your exhaust flow rate as the choke point. Add the leaning of the mixture and the only side effect of breathing better would be slightly higher exhaust temps. Some claim that the cat might not last as long due to this, but if you search around, there's no evidence of that.
So the intake should be a stand alone mod kit. You may dig the extra power and want to move down the line with headers/exh, but you don't have to. Whoever protos the thing would keep us aprised of issues so you could wait and see before investing. Also you can check the intake mods (like Bumpin'Yotas) to see if they create the need for other mods. Should be similar. I assume MAF would add a bit more HP though. Also check the 3.4l swaps. If the support gear can handle that power, we certainly won't be stressing engine mounts or trans with the pony boost.

Last edited by Down2TheC; 06-12-2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:30 AM

a VAFM and a MAF use different type of signals to the computer, how are you going to adjust those signals? I don't believe that a simple chip can do that.

check out split second. they make MAF kits, which require laptop programming of the fuel map to make the AFM-MAF kits work.

www.split-second.com

if you can get one to work, then I'd definetly be down for one
Old 06-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

I'd be interested

I'm always looking for more power+fuel economy the juice is just too pricey not to. But like everyone else here...how much? and more importantly how reliable? Cheers aviator
Old 06-12-2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eric
check out split second. they make MAF kits, which require laptop programming of the fuel map to make the AFM-MAF kits work.
Pretty much the same thing. (Guess our definition of a simple chip is different). But if cp-e made it for us, it would come programmed for the 3.0. SplitSec is "Universal".
[edit]
Just found this on another thread. Didn't know it existed. (Maybe it doesn't for the 3.0, not sure.) Anyway, the conversion chip on the cp-e intakes does about the same as this thing does. Jump to pg 4 "How it works" for a better description of what the conversion chip does.
http://www.gadgetonline.com/U-Tune.pdf
[/edit]

And again... can't talk pricing before the proto, just talking need/demand to see if they'll do a proto. I did ask the cp-e to ballpark if they could.

Last edited by Down2TheC; 06-12-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:19 PM

well so far I am in. If it ends up being pricey I think I will still get it though. Based upon the reading I have done on mods like this it will really help supplement the shoddy intake design of our 3.0s. I will be putting headers and a new exhaust system on here shortly so I will have that ready for this mod. I can't drive to MD anytime soon, but if they want to send me something I can install it and give them the updates and info they need if that helps at all.

Quick Reply: Who wants Mods for the 3.0?