Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

where to mount speakers in rear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wiring

Originally Posted by highonpottery
My 93 p/u only came with the 4" dash speakers and the head unit did not have rear outputs when I wanted to add more - so in my case I decided to swap out the head unit for a modern one. It was the logical choice since they're not that expensive, WAY better than factory and the new one is a single din unit instead of factory double-din, so I gained more storage space.
Amplifier is another option to get rear outputs.
Simply run your wiring under your upholstery and up behind the interior panel to keep it all hidden.
I did the same thing and bought a new kenwood single din head unit. I was just wondering what wire do I buy that would run from the Head unit to the speakers. Thanks
Old 06-23-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by nmtoy
6" in my 88 excab.
That's clean^^^

Originally Posted by Kaleb2136
How did you wire them from head unit? Did you have to buy an amp for them?
Originally Posted by highonpottery
...swap out the head unit for a modern one. It was the logical choice since they're not that expensive, WAY better than factory and the new one is a single din unit instead of factory double-din, so I gained more storage space....
Simply run your wiring under your upholstery and up behind the interior panel to keep it all hidden.
Originally Posted by Kaleb2136
I did the same thing and bought a new kenwood single din head unit. I was just wondering what wire do I buy that would run from the Head unit to the speakers. Thanks
New head unit makes sense. Aside from freeing up space, you get added safety because you can link your smartphone to its bluetooth- instant hands-free calling over the speakers; automatic muting of music when you're on the bluetooth senses phone is being used. Simplifies playing music from your phone, too. No need to connect an auxiliary cord, although that remains an option.

Re: wire... AWG18 speaker wires will suffice. On mine, wires for the rear speakers run under the dash, to the kick panels, then under the door threshold, then into the rear panels.
Re: Amplifier... If you're not into a fancy system, just find speakers that more or less match the per channel output of your head unit and you should be good to go without an amplifier.
Attached Thumbnails where to mount speakers in rear?-screen-shot-2017-06-23-9.33.17-am.png  
Old 06-23-2017, 08:01 PM

Wiring

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
That's clean^^^

New head unit makes sense. Aside from freeing up space, you get added safety because you can link your smartphone to its bluetooth- instant hands-free calling over the speakers; automatic muting of music when you're on the bluetooth senses phone is being used. Simplifies playing music from your phone, too. No need to connect an auxiliary cord, although that remains an option.

Re: wire... AWG18 speaker wires will suffice. On mine, wires for the rear speakers run under the dash, to the kick panels, then under the door threshold, then into the rear panels.
Re: Amplifier... If you're not into a fancy system, just find speakers that more or less match the per channel output of your head unit and you should be good to go without an amplifier.
Alright thanks a lot!
Old 07-15-2017, 06:19 PM

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
I just finished my setup. Kenwood single din head unit, 4 inch lightning audio fronts, and 6.5 inch Kenwoods in the rear. Sounds good for minimum money spent.
Attached Thumbnails where to mount speakers in rear?-image.jpeg  
Old 07-15-2017, 06:20 PM

Rear speaker
Attached Thumbnails where to mount speakers in rear?-image.jpeg  
Old 07-15-2017, 07:49 PM

Nice

Originally Posted by N_Aviles
Rear speaker
That's nice, what did you use to cut the holes on the covers for the rear speakers?
Old 07-16-2017, 05:19 AM

Initially cut a 1 inch hole with a hole saw. Then progressively opened up the hole with a grinder.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear speaker
Initially cut a 1 inch hole with a hole saw. Then progressively opened up the hole with a grinder.
Nice!! Where did you find panels that didn't have a latch knob in them? Here is how mine ended up.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:06 PM

Panels

Originally Posted by wacked
Nice!! Where did you find panels that didn't have a latch knob in them? Here is how mine ended up.

Mine have the latch on them. I'm gonna cut under them. I still haven't decided what I should use to cut them with though.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:23 AM

Mine still has the latch. I placed the speaker high enough to cover it.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:20 PM

Rear setup

Old 07-23-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's crazy that I've never seen another XtraCab in person that wasn't like my '94 DLX 4x4 22RE (5 speed) as far as the rear speakers go, cause my truck came with them. Kinda strange considering it had the lower spec gauge cluster that doesn't have a tachometer, oil pressure gauge, voltmeter, etc, whereas N_Aviles's truck appears to have been oppositely equipped (at least as far as the rear speakers and gauge cluster goes).

I swapped out all my blown stock speakers for new Kicker 4" and 6.5" models from Walmart right when they decided to stop selling them, so the remaining ones in store were marked like 75% off and I ended up getting them all for around $25 I think. I think one of the biggest improvements I made was the addition of SR5 front speaker enclosures/boxes that I got from a 4Runner in the junkyard . I've yet to see a 4Runner in the yard that didn't have these, since SR5 trim was far more common than on the pickups. They bolted right in and required no modification to use, which was nice.

Replaced the headunit with an extra Kenwood I had, and recently a nice JVC that was given to me. Added an extra 10" woofer and amp I had in the attic to the storage compartment under the rear seat. Never made a subwoofer box or anything before, but making this lid out of MDF was pretty easy, even with going the extra step to sink the woofer in flush so that the seat could still be folded down flat and be used just as well. Works perfectly since the amp is underneath, in that storage compartment, thereby keeping all that crap out of the way for hauling MX gear on the back seats. Always thought that a separate sub box looked like the most irritating space hog for a non-enormous vehicle's interior.
Attached Thumbnails where to mount speakers in rear?-img_9503.jpg   where to mount speakers in rear?-img_9504.jpg  
Old 07-25-2017, 11:45 AM

CBH148, Do you have pics of your oem speakers?
Being in Alabama, that is Gulf States Toyota region, they did have a bunch of really weird dealer/port installed options back in the day.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:44 AM

Subwoofer

Originally Posted by cbh148
It's crazy that I've never seen another XtraCab in person that wasn't like my '94 DLX 4x4 22RE (5 speed) as far as the rear speakers go, cause my truck came with them. Kinda strange considering it had the lower spec gauge cluster that doesn't have a tachometer, oil pressure gauge, voltmeter, etc, whereas N_Aviles's truck appears to have been oppositely equipped (at least as far as the rear speakers and gauge cluster goes).

I swapped out all my blown stock speakers for new Kicker 4" and 6.5" models from Walmart right when they decided to stop selling them, so the remaining ones in store were marked like 75% off and I ended up getting them all for around $25 I think. I think one of the biggest improvements I made was the addition of SR5 front speaker enclosures/boxes that I got from a 4Runner in the junkyard . I've yet to see a 4Runner in the yard that didn't have these, since SR5 trim was far more common than on the pickups. They bolted right in and required no modification to use, which was nice.

Replaced the headunit with an extra Kenwood I had, and recently a nice JVC that was given to me. Added an extra 10" woofer and amp I had in the attic to the storage compartment under the rear seat. Never made a subwoofer box or anything before, but making this lid out of MDF was pretty easy, even with going the extra step to sink the woofer in flush so that the seat could still be folded down flat and be used just as well. Works perfectly since the amp is underneath, in that storage compartment, thereby keeping all that crap out of the way for hauling MX gear on the back seats. Always thought that a separate sub box looked like the most irritating space hog for a non-enormous vehicle's interior.
Do you know if your subwoofer is ported or sealed? I was thinking about putting a subwoofer under the seat
Old 07-26-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by n_aviles
cbh148, do you have pics of your oem speakers?
Being in alabama, that is gulf states toyota region, they did have a bunch of really weird dealer/port installed options back in the day.
I don't have any pics of the old speakers unfortunately. Naturally, I trashed them as soon as they exited the vehicle since they were so past it.

That's interesting to learn about that structure of regional distributing companies that several states' Toyota dealerships are a part of. Googling that returned info about it, saying that the 2 companies are Gulf States Toyota (GST) and Southeast Toyota (SET). It says GST covers Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Texas, and then SET covers Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina, so then I guess my area would fall within the SET region, though I bought the truck up in Tennessee nearly 2 years ago, and I've got no idea where all this truck's been prior to that. Would love to run a Carfax and whatever the other vehicle history report is to get an idea.

Originally Posted by kaleb2136
do you know if your subwoofer is ported or sealed? I was thinking about putting a subwoofer under the seat
I didn't know they ported some subwoofer speakers, if that's what you're saying, but this one is just a 10" Rockford Fosgate Prime R1 so I assume it's a pretty standard issue low-end woofer. As far as the lid goes, I made it with no port hole or anything. I keep the passenger side lid on all the time, and the 2 compartments are connected through narrow section underneath the front edge of the lower seat cushions (when they're folded down). I planned on working out some way of fastening the subwoofer lid down to the storage compartment -- preferably something quick and easy, but I never got around to it since testing the subwoofer to see what it sounded like sorta turned into just leaving it as-is haha. I love the way it sounds though, and it was certainly a radical improvement over how it was without a subwoofer.