86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheel play "with camber" (up/down)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheel play "with camber" (up/down)

I told the dealership mechanic about the clunk on my front end (I couldn't replicate it believe it or not LOL). He couldnt' find any issues up on the lift, but he did find some "camber" play in the wheel (and not side to side which supposedly a very minor amoutn of play is normal for the front ends of these trucks with Torsion bar IFS/Idler arm steering), which he thinks just needs the wheel bearing to be tightened (said it was around a half hour job or so).

Any thoughts?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway bar bushings? Does the "clunk" only happen while cornering?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:06 PM

It ony happens when I had the steering wheel near or at full lock turning left, and it seemed to be only under certain articulations, like if I was slightly off camber on a hill or something, but maybe 60% of the time? Well interestingly enough, he lubed the steering stops when I had my truck serviced last weekend, and I was under the truck today and had a look at the steering stops, and the part on the suspension that hits the steering stops when you max out your turning, and I wonder if it's "off" or not lined up properly right now, becuase I do have my torsion bars cranked a little lower than most, so I wonder if the lube has caused that to stop happening, but when the lube is gone overtime, the steering stops "catch" instead of rub due to maybe my torsion bars being cranked lower (do you think that would be an issue, the steering stops not lining up due to a certain crank in the torsion bars?). But yeah I'll ask about that, maybe arrange to have the truck taken into the alignment/suspension shop I usually go to (and which this dealership often outsources a lot of their suspension work).

Part of me also wonders if anyone in here has had issues with camber play, and if you've had the wheel bearings loosen slightly to cause this (if this is what causes this? I'm a newbie in that respect).

Last edited by CoedNaked; 04-20-2006 at 08:08 PM. Reason: N/A
Old 04-20-2006, 08:23 PM

How about when driving on pavement and cornering? Has the noise ever happened then? Otherwise I would say to replace your steering stop covers. (not exactly sure what they are called). They are a little plastic cover that covers a metal nub in your IFS that prevent the wheels from turning anymore. Since they are plastic, they wear out and now you have metal on metal. Turn your wheel all the way in one direction, and then get out and see what is hitting in the front. You may find a small plastic piece that is worn through to the metal. It will be sitting over a nut. They are cheap to replace, and a crappy design.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:22 PM

The only problem with turning your wheels all the way to the steering stops is the tire/wheel gets in the way from you actually being able to see the stops. I've tried, believe me.

The clunk doesn't happen when on pavement/cornering. It happens on pavement or on gravel roads when turning left IE as I said above when the steering wheel is at or somewhat near full lock.

I think most guys just keep lubing the stops after that plastic piece wears away if I'm not mistaken?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remember, there are other steering stops besides the ones down by the wheel. There is a stop welded on to each frame member, that sticks downwards. Turning left, the idler arm hits one stop, and turning right, I think the steering damper mounting bolt hits the other stop. It'd be worth checking those out.
Maybe your idler arm or idler arm brace is getting caught on that stop??
Old 04-21-2006, 03:52 PM

I needed an alignment so I took my Runner into Big O (I was in a pinch). the dude said he couldn't align it (well he could, but it would just fall back out) and that I needed new tie rods. got back, brought it to the 4 wheeler shop, he said I had up/down wheel movement due to wheel bearings needing repacking. $300 later, that problems gone (got it aligned) but I think I do need new tie rods (ordered & waiting for 'em). so wheel bearings may not be too far off