86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

please help on harness from engine to 02 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please help on harness from engine to 02 sensor

Ive posted about this stupid 02 sensor ive been dealing with and still cant get it right. To make a long story short the original harness where the 02 sensor end meets the other harness near the transfer case melted some of the wiring on the exhaust and the truck cut off after blowing the EFI fuse. It melted on the engine side of the harness so i just cut the wires, put in new fuse,and ive been running the truck like that for at least a month everyday. Runs fine but only getting 14-15 mpg and i drive 600 miles/week so its really adding up. My question is if i buy a new Toyota sensor, what do i do about plugging it back in since the plug in for the engine side harness has been cut? I guess i could straight wire it but i really want it right so any suggestions? I would buy a new harness but havent really paid attention to where it runs or how hard it would be to install. Id greatly appreciate any help before i suck it up and pay no telling how much for Toyota to fix it for me.

PS- diagnostics box shows code 21
Old 04-21-2006, 05:55 AM

when the wires touched and shorted out could it have caused some sort of permanent ground or anything? i dont know but i feel like if i replaced the wiring from the sensor all the way to the engine it would fix it. i just dont know if you guys know a cheaper place than the dealer or if anyone else has had the same problem?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any way to find one in a bone yard that you can cut out and splice, the section of harness with the connector, to in yours? Same thing happened to me but it was right where the cross member runs under the tranny. So I was able to cut and splice the wires easily. good luck
Old 04-21-2006, 07:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't 'really' need a connector. Just make sure you get the wires connected properly. If you get a Denso Sensor ( and you should ), you can just splice in extra wire in place of the ones that were burned. Chop the connector off the end of the new Sensor. You'll have to splice in again on the next change, but that shouldn't be for 100,000 miles or so. Lemme know if you have trouble matching the wire colors and I'll crawl under mine to see which ones hook up. I replaced mine about 2 years ago, but don't remember which wires were connected since I only had to plug the connector in.

Mike in AR
Old 04-21-2006, 11:01 AM

i just tried that with a $15 "Denso" off of Ebay for $15 but that didnt work (the head of the sensor that goes in the pipe wasnt even as long as the original). I wrote it down but couldnt remember if it mattered which black wire from the sensor went to the other harness?? And it doesnt really matter about the length of the wires does it? Yeah id really appreciate it if you could check the way your wires are run so that i can get this thing fixed. truck runs fine it just bugs the heck out of me knowing that something isnt quite right
Old 04-21-2006, 04:00 PM

My CEL was on and I got a code saying that my O2 sensor was bad so when I went to replace it with a bosch sensor, the connector broke on me! so I just spiced into it, but I never got rid of the CEL after I reset the computer.(disconect the battery terminal) It stayed off for about 20 miles but it came back on. So I wouldnt recomend splicing into it.