Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Value of my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 1986 Toyota Xtracab pickup. DLX trim package. 193,000 miles.5 speed G54 trans. Original carb, motor, transmission, drive train. Body, glass, interior.

I have some minor rust issues on the bed. Every thing works except for the cigarette lighter with I'm currently fixing and the Air conditioning. I'm about to take it to a shop to get an estimate for full coverage insurance and I was looking to yota tech to get an idea of how much value my truck has.

Truck was was given to me by my gpa and I have spent almost $3000 in parts to get it back in operational condition.

Last edited by dropzone; 07-25-2017 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:10 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
maybe $3K. Sorry but that rust looks a bit more than minor to me
Old 07-25-2017, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Value really just depends on what someone is willing to pay for it in this area. Blue book for it just due to its age is not going to be much. Your rear bumper is kind of hard to find. I had to take 3 of those bumpers to make one and it still was not perfect. By the looks of it, for this part of the country, it is not a bad looking truck. Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:25 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Truck prices are VERY regional; my opinion on value won't do you any good at all. If you're trying to sell it, look around on Craigslist (or what passes for that in your area) to see what similar trucks are fetching. In my neck the woods, you'd never get any where near $3,000 for that truck. Even with the cigarette lighter.

But if what you're looking for is an estimate for full coverage insurance, my advice is much simpler: Don't. You HAVE to have liability coverage, but for any vehicle more than 3-4 years old you're much better off NOT carrying Collision (damage to your vehicle caused by you) or Comprehensive (tree falling on your truck, or having it stolen). You'll pay hundreds of dollars every 6 months. If you crumple a fender the carrier won't pay to fix it. They will "total" the truck by sending you a check for $1,200. (and they junk the truck) The amount you paid to get it running means nothing.

Yeah, if you get in a real accident (your fault, or the other guy has no insurance) you're out the truck and the $1,200, but how often do you plan to have an accident that bad?
Old 07-25-2017, 07:45 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
^^^ What Scope says. Collision/comprehensive insurance is only appropriate in two cases. (1) If you have a loan on the truck and the lender requires it. (2) If a total loss represents more than you can reasonably afford. In all other cases you're just sending money to line the pockets of the insurance company. Remember, dealing with insurance companies is like going to Vegas. On average, the "house" ALWAYS wins.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:04 PM

I am looking for an estimate to get full coverage insurance. The real question is.... Do I use the highest estimate or the lowest one?

The difference in full vs liability is not that bad. Farm bureau quoted about $550 per year for full and I pay about $350.

And from rom my research, I have seen these truck go go $3500 in way worse condition than mine.

If I may remind everyone, this is one of the most original 1986 Toyotas I seen out there. Most trucks have been junked up all over and will never be stock. This is also an Xtra cab which I've seen demand a premium.

DISCLAIMER - I have a sentimental to the truck and I will never sell it. That may also affect my judgment in the value. Lol. Plus I have no experience buying, selling, or appraising vehicles.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:21 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
will your insurance visually inspect your truck?

$3k and in good shape
https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/...215636407.html

$3200 body no rust but dented
https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/d/...234613174.html

$10K
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...197606699.html
Old 07-25-2017, 03:26 PM

Then you should look into specialty "Classic Car Insurance." Farm Bureau doesn't give a Rat's Patoot about this truck being real original, or how much you've already put into it. UNLESS you buy the special insurance. (This kind of insurance isn't hard to find, but it may be difficult to underwrite. As in: you may need to find some sort of nationally-recognized evaluator of 30 yr-old classic Toyota trucks to set the value. Not just some "shop" downtown. And certainly not your personal pick between highest or lowest estimates.)

If it didn't work this way, we'd all pick up some rust-bucket, get an "estimate" that it's worth $20,000, and then push it off a cliff.

The good news: we're all in the same boat. We have the 20+ yr-old trucks we have because we like them more than Kelly and Edmunds do. Welcome to YotaTech.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:31 PM

No offense dropzone but I laughed when I looked at the trucks in each link. The one for 10k is definitely a nice truck and far nicer than mine but the other two looked chopped up and I can see aftermarket parts ALL OVER?! Even the one for 10k had what looked like a Weber carburetor. There seems to be a little dispute as to which is better.... Stock or Weber. I'm going to always say the Aisin is better. I look at the Weber as a good alternative but the cheap way out also.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:52 PM

"The good news: we're all in the same boat. We have the 20+ yr-old trucks we have because we like them more than Kelly and Edmunds do. Welcome to YotaTech." Totally agree!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You have a nice truck for this area and I am not knocking it. Wish I could find them in that great of a shape around here. I will say after working on hundreds of trucks from 79-94 I know there is plenty of problems that come with a 30 year old truck. Yours is going to have several of the same issues that comes with these old trucks. Most are easily fixed and plenty of information on here about how to fix them.

From my experience with these trucks and to where I like to have them in as new of a condition as possible, I would set my budget from $1000-2000 to get it to where I want it to be if it was my truck. I have my own stash of parts and access to another stash of parts and do my own work from bumper to bumper. That cuts cost way down for me. I would suggest only spending the money on it just for your own personal reasons and not looking as an investment or hopes of getting your money back. Since it was your grandfathers truck I could see why you would want to keep it and not worry about the cost as much.

There is a ton of information on here but since Photobucket stopped their service, pictures will be missing that could help you to get it to where you want it to be. As in any hobby, getting your money back is really not an option. I have people in my area ask about these trucks and I call them hobby trucks. You are working on these for a passion.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:25 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
it's your money, so spend it on comp/coll if you want to. i haven't paid for any coverage except liability for at least 15 years. there is nothing about your truck that would make me want to start, either. my '87 4r is in better shape, and almost as original (parts replaced have mostly been oem). only has 167k. no way i'd carry comp/coll., though. you will need to replace wear items and age-failing parts, and using the money you don't send to the insurance company will put you ahead.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:35 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Hate to say it, but here in the desert southwest where I live, anything that rusty would be a parts truck.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:08 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
Hate to say it, but here in the desert southwest where I live, anything that rusty would be a parts truck.
I briefly lived in both Wyoming and Arizona and thought it was so cool to see cars and trucks from the 60's driving around in obviously unrestored condition.

Now that I'm in NE Ohio, the OP's truck is in similar shape to the average vehicle only on the roads for a decade. The only exceptions are if they garage their nice car and drive a winter beater.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
This is a great example of how prices and condition can be completely different from region to region.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and there are still many rust free, pretty original trucks around. Many still have good original paint! Your truck would be considered in just OK shape where I live because there is a good selection of better trucks in my area.

However, in the rust belt, your truck might be considered in really good shape with only minor rust. Since many older Toyota trucks are long gone in these regions, your truck would be a good find.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:34 AM

I appreciate everyone's replies and I have to say that the yota tech community is awesome and beyond helpful.

As as far as money and a budget for the my truck, I've spent around $3000 and in looking to spend another $1000 to make it reliable. In the end, I'll probably put 10-20K into it doing a complete restoration. I really do love this little truck and I can easily see why so many others love Toyotas.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:44 AM

I have an 87 with antique tags and just insured it with hagerty. it has full coverage to $5000 value for $255 annually. that is also based for southwest va
Old 07-26-2017, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by skeeter0288
... insured it with hagerty. it has full coverage to $5000 value for $255 annually....
Is there an annual mileage limitation? Deductible? I don't know much about this sort of coverage (other than knowing it exists).
Old 07-26-2017, 10:03 AM

they did not mention any mileage restrictions . there is a deductible but off the top of my head I do not know what it is . I cannot use it to haul anything or pull a trailer , unless the trailer is antique as well and is in a show or parade , it must be garage kept and you must submit pictures which you already have ,. hagerty.com and follow the prompts. you can get a higher dollar value if desired . I got the lowest value offered @5k. that was alright with me . I can increase later if I so desire . mine is still a work in progress.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:22 PM

That's a very good price for insurance skeeter but I believe it so low bc of the antique tags.

I cannot not get antique tags for my truck in Arkansas bc it is my only vehicle. It's a daily driver and I plan on pulling a trailer occasionally.