Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turn signals popping fuses like candy

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn signals popping fuses like candy

OK guys/gals,
I've got a stumper. Last week my turn signal fuse blew. So, I replaced it and everything was fine for a couple days. Then it blew again! This time I used a 15 amp (original is 10 amps) fuse just to see if that affected anything. Well today, the 15 amp blew!

I'm not willing to take any more risks with a bigger amp fuse. I've just gotta figure out where the source of the problem is. So, has anyone had an issue with the turn signal fuse blowing?

thanks!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:55 AM

I had the same problem over the winter, with snow and slush still on the streets. I blew three fuses. The fuses I used were the NAPA brand multi set of fuses. So I ran out, I ran to the closest Autozone to me. I just bought another 15amp box of 10. After I put the AZ one in no more blown fuses. I was thinking it may have been the slush stuck in the wheel well was some how dripping down over the fuse box at the kick panel.
Personally I think it was the quality of the fuses. But you may have a short somewhere.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the cables. Run some volt test. Are you able to determine when they blow? and if so, what are you doing when they do blow?
Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 AM

I had the same problem with my '90. My receiver hitch was used as the ground for my trailer lights plug. The ground wire was broken and even though the trailer was not hooked up every time I would hit the brakes with the headlights on the fuse would blow and no more turn signals.
This took me forever and a pocket full of fuses to figure out. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:49 PM

I had a similar problem with my old 95 pickup. Some wise guy made a wiring harness for a canopy and trailer out of .... speaker wire.

Then hid the speaker wire around the frame of the truck. It took me an afternoon with a multi meter to find the shorts.

Having a good wiring diagram helps too.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a simular problem on another truck i had.. My problem was 1 of the wires running down the frame had rubed the plastic coating off and was shorting out on the frame
Old 05-30-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by amusement
I had a similar problem with my old 95 pickup. Some wise guy made a wiring harness for a canopy and trailer out of .... speaker wire.

Then hid the speaker wire around the frame of the truck. It took me an afternoon with a multi meter to find the shorts.

Having a good wiring diagram helps too.
.. reminds me, a couple years ago my front parking lights quit working on my truck.. I couldn't figure out the problem so i took 1 of them heavy duty orange extension cords and tied into the tail lights, ran it all the way down the frame.. works good, but i used fairly heavy guage wire
Old 05-31-2007, 06:52 AM

Update on my problem:
I put a 20A fuse in....simply because I'm an anal driver and like to use my turn signals....call me crazy I know it's not the safest thing to do, but not being able to signal was driving me mad!

Anyways, I haven't blown the fuse, but I do have some other weird things happening.
1) The right turn signal indicator (little green arrow in the dash) doesn't light up when I turn it on and the volt meter swings back and forth from (approx) 17 to 13 Volts, in synch with the clicker. Both of the symptoms happen at the same time and both are intermittent.

2) The hazards have stopped working. Which I suspect is another blown fuse.

so, I'm guessing (as most of you have) I have a short somewhere. I don't even know where to start looking. How does one go about troubleshooting something like this?

As someone suggested, I do have a trailer hitch and wiring harness. I guess I could check the ground there.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Simplify and test. Pull all bulbs and see if the 10A fuse blows (or plug a 10 amp meter in place of the fuse. Put one bulb at a time back in and repeat. If any trailer wiring connector, disconnect and re-test. If you have installed anything electircal recently, try disconnecting and re-test.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:34 AM

I had the same problem last year. What worked was checking the fuse to the brake lights. Mine was blown, which somehow caused the turning signal fuse to blow until I replaced it. Just a thought.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:47 PM

Not quite going to guarantee this but...you have an open ground wire around your trailer hitch wiring. This is going to cause power seeking another route to the frame and it will blow fuses.
As said above remove the hitch wiring bundle and drive it around for a while. I guess if worse comes to worse call the local yota shop and talk to a certified electrician. Might cost some money but peace of mind has got to be worth something!