86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sell The Swampthing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sell The Swampthing?

Ever get one of those vibes to get rid of something before something goes horribly wrong? Been gettin that vibe lately, but haven't really forseen anything bad other than a leaky axel seal and a lotta play that feels like the r&p's about to blow. Been gettin the hankerin to get rid of the Swampthing (or lazy frog as it got called at work today... wierdos), and have a powerful urge to get me a 85 or under p/u, and build it up. How much do yall think I could get for me ol' runner? No body other than an offroadin enthusiast would probably wanna buy it though...
Old 05-25-2007, 07:00 PM

well ya know, if ya cant find a buyer u could always give it to me... lol. i wouldnt mind too much.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:06 PM

I'm sure you wouldn't mind, but the funds for the future Snot Rocket would

Hopin to get 3 for it... Wonder if that's even a reasonable askin price lol.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampThing
I'm sure you wouldn't mind, but the funds for the future Snot Rocket would

Hopin to get 3 for it... Wonder if that's even a reasonable askin price lol.
that 3 bucks or 300
Old 05-25-2007, 07:16 PM

Hmmm, if only I didn't live so far away....Texas eh?
Old 05-25-2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
that 3 bucks or 300
As in 3k

Originally Posted by BluYot
Hmmm, if only I didn't live so far away....Texas eh?
Yeah, south Texas too.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Here in sac, you could probably pull 4k no problem.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, from a blind seller, and if you don't tell them everything, you could probably get 3k. Be sure to get a written agreement that it is sold as is, no warrantee, and no money back.

You should post some current pictures, becasue to be honest, going from memory about the build ups you were talking about, plus the new info about leaking seals and diffs on the edge of blowing, plus the ammount of mud it's seen, id say 3 hundred would be asking too much. Maybe not, but you'd need some convincing pictures.

Folks need to remember, when you build up a rig, unless you keep it cherry, and don't go too far, you will lose money unless you are dishonest about the sale. No one wants to buy a pre built truck. Too risky. Modifying trucks really takes the resale and shoves it down the toilet.

Last edited by AxleIke; 05-25-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:37 PM

I heard once that you can only ask for 1/2 price on every part installed.

I would love to have bought an already rig, BUT I have very little faith in others abilities to do things properly.

I almost bought an `88 truck on 35's, SAS, ARB's F/R, OBA, blah, blah, blah for 7000. It looked awesome, no rust, straight body but I can't buy someone elses rig not knowing what kind of work was done.

Just my opinion as always!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:45 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
well we're about to have an 84 4runner for sale if you're interested
Old 05-25-2007, 10:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd have to agree, 3k is high considering the history of the Swampthing.

I guess we've abandonded the "ST build-up", then?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:46 PM

i almost freaked when i saw this. i love that truck, i would also love to have swampthing.

my girlfriends familey would ☺☺☺☺ themselves, lol her dad wouldnt know what to do.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:08 AM

i might be tricked into tradein u my 94 pu... just maybe. lol. havent done anything as of yet. what all have u done to that beast?
Old 05-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Like AxleIke said, you would have to sell it to someone without a computer and internet access to get 3 grand for it.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:57 AM

Well... It's not so much that it's been abused. *Waits for lightning bolt to strike* It's just not... Something that most people would use as a DD. So that's why I say unless someone was an offroading enthusiast they wouldn't be likely to buy it.

Everything thats done to it is in my sig. Anything else you wanna know about it just ask me. I'll take some pictures, but it'll probably be a while before I can figure out how to get this dog gone new phone all hooked up to the computer.

Just the body damage is the main thing that I'm worried about. Most of the dents are from trees and fists. It really affects nothing, just someone's inclination to buy it. Frame's not tweaked at all. Bumper's still good and sexy lookin, only a little paint off it from the multitudes of deer and fences and small trees it's obliterated. That and the interior is gutted, back seats removed, and the tach zip-tied to the steering colum. Got's 206k miles, but new clutch and engine completely rebuilt @ 173k.

Turns out the r&p isn't about to go. Havin the both back side's seals and bearing done right now, and they checked it out while they had it apart (they do it really wierd. they remove the entire 3rd instead of just pullin out the shafts while the truck's in the air) and I was just running low on fluid and it gave it play.

My truck's been through just about everything with a few bumps and scratches, but has came out wantin more. I've hooked chains with many a bigger and "more powerful" truck, and have won. Most recently I hooked em with a 05 chev 2500hd. Slammed on the brakes, he started rostin his tires, I popped her into 4lo (hubs still unlocked, so yeah I was still in 2wd) and oh whats this? The green machine is pullin around a chev! It does great in the mud. It does decent on rocks. It loves the sand.

I've been offered 1.5k by a dealer as it is right now (no back seats, soft top on, before I got the rear leak fixed, ect), but they pissed me off. Talked alot of crap about it, so it eventually came down to me and the sales guy doin a bumper pull. Let me tell ya, a 01 f250's chrome front bumper looks beautiful flyin through the air. People don't believe me how incredibly strong this bumper is...
Old 05-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SwampThing
Well... It's not so much that it's been abused. .....

...Most of the dents are from trees and fists.

...I was just running low on fluid and it gave it play.

... I've hooked chains with many a bigger and "more powerful" truck, and have won. Most recently I hooked em with a 05 chev 2500hd. Slammed on the brakes, he started rostin his tires, I popped her into 4lo (hubs still unlocked, so yeah I was still in 2wd) and oh whats this? The green machine is pullin around a chev!
... so it eventually came down to me and the sales guy doin a bumper pull. Let me tell ya, a 01 f250's chrome front bumper looks beautiful flyin through the air. People don't believe me how incredibly strong this bumper is...
OK, read the first line, then read the rest of the lines. No offense, but this is what I am talking about. I think it is great that you use your truck for how you want it, but all that stuff doesn't do much for resale value, especially to others who know how you use it. Good luck in selling it and I hope you get a pretty penny for it.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:26 AM

Very true. But it runs great! Lol. Guess I could always try the sellin to someone's son/daughter for they're first car. Fawn over the fact that it gets 22mpg, very safe in any kind of collision with any type of object, geared down low so its easy to drive even though its a stick, 4x4 so you don't have to worry about them getting stuck and you having to call a tow truck, ect...
Old 05-26-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
To be honest, if I had some money I'd buy it...but, not for 3k.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:40 AM

To be honest, if I had chingos of money, I'd keep it, sas sbc and repair the body on it. But, I've always wanted to do a lifted sas'ed p/u with a flatbed. Those look sooo sexy to me.

Well, if things go as bad as yall are leadin me to believe, I can always take it back to that dealer and get 1.5k lol...
Old 05-26-2007, 12:06 PM

Kinda like this one

good luck i bet you could get 2k for it.

Quick Reply: Sell The Swampthing?