Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turbo Gauge Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PunchinPreacher
Hi guys,

when I did my 3rz swap into my 22re 86 4runner, I swapped to the digital dash.

I used the 86 4runner EWD book.

everything works great except the fuel gauge always reads empty.
the sender is either different or wired different. I haven't troubleshooted further.

overall it was an easy swap.
get the connectors for the digital dash, as they are different. Easy to wire though.

if anyone needs more info, I may be able to find the notes I had made.

good luck,
thanks!
I once spent time in the Toyota parts department asking for any documentation on the clusters... even Toyota leaves little knowledge about these things.

Anyway, the exploded diagram called out a separate fuel sending unit from the typical model with (digital cluster) underneath the title. So, it IS a different sending unit.

What is the 4Runner EWD book? Is it different from the FSM?

Last edited by XtraSlow_XtraCab; 07-08-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
at is the 4Runner EWD book?
EWD = Electrical Wiring Diagram manual and it is a seperate publication.

everything works great except the fuel gauge always reads empty.
the sender is either different or wired different. I haven't troubleshooted further.
The senders for a digital gauge and a analog gauge are different!
Analog gauge sending units spec out at 3ohms +2 or -3 ohms at full, 32.5 + or -4.8 ohms at 1/2 and 110 ohms + or -7.7 ohms at empty.
Digital gauge sending units spec out at 89.6 ohms at full, 64.3 ohms at 1/2 and 5.8 ohms at empty.
PunchinPreacher's gauge is reading empty all the time because the analog and digital sending units work in opposite directions.

Swaping a digital dash from a turbo Auto 4 Runner into a non turbo application is not as easy as it seems. I was just looking over my 86 FSM and I was comparing the connector pinouts of an analog cluster and a digital cluster. For a digital there are 4 connectors instead of three and wire placement is not even close, not one pin position matches on the connectors of the two clusters. That means that you need the detailed breakdown of a Factory Wiring Diagram Manual and you need to be able to read those diagrams with ease. You also need to know how to work with Toyota connectors so that you can release wires from their existing pin positions and move them to other pin positions (sometimes in other connectors) without causing them any damage. If you don't have a head on your shoulders for electrical circuits or have the patience to work slowly and verify what you are doing...I wouldn't recommend an individual tackle a job like this.

Last edited by Hadmatt54; 07-08-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I figured the sensor was different, so if anyone can help me find one, that would be great!

As to the difficulty, it was pretty easy.. Just look at diagrams...most the wires are just a match the color deal.

or, what I did is take 6" of the digital loom with its connectors, and wire them into the dash harness with the current ones. So I peeled the insulation off without cutting the wire, inserted a digital dash wire, soldered and taped it up.

it's easier to do than explain.

maybe I can get pics if needed.

the way i did it works so that I can run either the analog or digital dash in 5 minutes. Analog dash and digital dash connectors are behind the current Speedo (digital).
Old 12-28-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is an older thread but, I am about do a 3rz swap into an 86 4runner replacing a 22rte with the digital turbo dash. If you have any notes on getting the dash to work with the 3rz that would be great.