Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Truck maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck maintenance

In a couple months I知 getting stationed back in the states where my truck is located. However it has sat for a year and only driven a hand full of times in about 5 years because of being stationed elsewhere. Once I get back I知 gonna change the coolant and thermostat, brake fluid, clutch fluid, pcv valve, battery and alternator, front shocks. Is there anything else I should look at or replace? I really want this truck to last as long as it can. Any help is appreciated. And it痴 a 1988 TP 2.4L 22R-E
Old 03-02-2019, 03:32 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruin425
... I知 gonna change the coolant and thermostat, brake fluid, clutch fluid, pcv valve, battery and alternator, front shocks. ...
Are you replacing the thermostat, alternator and shocks for a reason? Those aren't maintenance items, and I doubt they wore out just sitting for 5 years. Each of them can be tested, of course.

I don't have much experience with vehicles sitting for a long time, but I think I'd get rid of all the gas in the tank. Siphon out as much as you can. Disconnect the fuel return line from the Fuel Pressure Regulator, and run a line to your "slops" gas container. Then run the pump with the diagnostic port until you get an air bubble. Then replace the fuel filter. (using this method avoids disconnecting a high pressure fuel connection, where you'd have to replace the crush washers. The disadvantage is that if there is crud that can get through the filter, it goes through the fuel rail to get to the FPR.)
Old 03-02-2019, 05:20 AM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
If it's sat outside you may need tires from weather cracks...
Old 03-02-2019, 07:30 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Oil especially and filter. Pretty much all your fluids. Power steering, diff, trans.

Fuel inj cleaner would be helpful after draining fuel. One that also removes water as that length of time in storage allows water and moisture to accumulate.

Cooling system flush cleaner through radiator and plenty of distilled water

Check that parking brake hasnt seized and be prepared to fix if it doesnt engage.

Rust check on undercarriage. Removal solvents are sold at most places. Paint over treated areas.

Check wiring in engine bay and any openings for evidence of rodents who may have chewed or taken up shelter.

Lube ignition lock cylinder and door locks.

New treads if 6 yrs or older.

Welcome back
Old 03-03-2019, 10:03 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
In a couple months I知 getting stationed back in ...
Military? Thanks for your service. oorraah!
Like Scope says^^^^ Don't fix what's not broken.
Pls my post on 22RE Charging system.
Also fix starter relay wiring that was done WRONG AT THE FACTORY. Search "clicknostart" or "clicknocrank"
Old 03-03-2019, 05:36 PM

The thermostat is about 6 years old and shocks I知 assuming need replaced they have rust all over them. Some of what I知 doing is just preventative maintenance since I知 already messing around with stuff. I wanted to upgrade the alternator because I have a sound system with an amp that powers the sub and door speakers. I read up that it値l help with the electronics by having a higher amp output. I致e found some direct fit but they池e 200-300. I was thinking about just taking the old one in and having the shop remanufacture it to a higher output
Old 03-03-2019, 06:30 PM

.... I read up that it値l help with the electronics by having a higher amp output. ...

But how are you supposed to know that existing alt is not enough for your application? Trust what you hear from others?
... was thinking about just taking the old one in and having the shop remanufacture it to a higher output
Depends on how much it would cost. But how are u supposed to verify that the "remaned" alt is really higher output than stock? Take the shop's word for it, or have existing tested, have new tested and compare results? Who's gonna do that and how much would it cost?
[/QUOTE]
Old 03-04-2019, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
But how are you supposed to know that existing alt is not enough for your application? Trust what you hear from others?

Depends on how much it would cost. But how are u supposed to verify that the "remaned" alt is really higher output than stock? Take the shop's word for it, or have existing tested, have new tested and compare results? Who's gonna do that and how much would it cost?
[/QUOTE]

I知 sure what I have is fine but I just wanna step it up and have a little overkill because taxes are coming and I値l be rich. I知 waiting for the week to start so I can call and ask how much it it would be to rebuild. But yeah if I had mine rebuilt I壇 get it tested obviously so I know what output it now has. I知 just trying to avoid paying 260 which is the lowest I can find one for. Does anyone know of a cheaper site or a different vehicle make that can cross reference over to a Toyota?
Old 03-04-2019, 07:05 AM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
Search on this forum for 22re alternator upgrade. I'm pretty sure I found a thread on here about using a different alt from I think an mr2 turbo, that was like 20 or 30 apps higher than the stock 22re output. I might have had to do a pulley swap but the alt bolted on and plugged in. With yours being an '88, you would probably have to swap the plug for the newer style too
Old 03-04-2019, 12:04 PM

...because taxes are coming and I’ll be rich. ...
LOL! That always helps.
Search this forum for CS-130 (https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hm...s/3728021.html). That way you already know that alternator is rated at 100 amps. Less trouble than having someone tear apart a perfectly good one to "re-wind" it. Minimal mechanical modification is needed.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-04-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:23 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Your sound system won't put enough of a load on your electrical system to notice the difference. Just because that amp you bought says 200 (or 300 or 600) watts doesn't mean it's using that much except for very brief intervals. Generally the average power output of a very loud car stereo system is 20 watts or less. You ears will bleed at more than that. That's an average current of less than two amps, which your stock alternator won't notice. Those several hundred amplifier watts are very useful to cleanly reproduce musical peaks, which generally last a few 10's of milliseconds, but it's unlikely your amplifier even has adequate heat-sinking to survive outputting 200 watts continuously.

Offroad lights (non-LED's) and winches are about the only real reason to upgrade your alternator.