86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Toy drinks oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toy drinks oil

ok well i got this problem, my toy 22re is gulping down the oil. i am talking a quart about every 100 miles at least. i have checked the head gasket (radiator oil cap and compression) the externals and its all clean. the truck dont smoke at all. i have noticed oil blowing out the tail pipe but its not burning/smoking. only thing im leaning towards is bad valve seals on the exhaust side. well any help would be greatly appricated cause im getting tired of buyin oil HAHA.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rings smoke all the time.

Valve seals will smoke on cranking

Valve guides will puff after an extended idle (ie every ford crown vic on the road)

This is a good rule of thumb.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:35 PM

Must be an oregon toyota thing. Mine drinks about a quart every thousand. And i have no blue smoke so i have no idea.

I would do a compression check if i were you.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:50 PM

yea the thing that gets me is all that oil loss and everything checks out good. i would think there would be a deffinate sign that there would be something wrong like blue smoke pouring out the exhaust. and if it were rings it would smoke, im at a loss. the oregon thing is sounding like a good possibility being all my compression checks out good.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about this-
I get puffs of blue, sometimes black, smoke above 3K rpm (while driving, i.e. under load) if I blip the throttle or try to accelerate quicky. I also get a clicky noise before and during the smoke emission. I am losing tons of oil. Go through about a gallon in 10-14 days
Old 04-09-2011, 10:41 PM

Maybe this guy

is sneaking over to your truck at night and drinkin your oil.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:06 AM

Black smoke upon hard accl is a sign of unburnt fuel, kinda common, more common if not tuned perfectly.

Blue smoke is oil and if its puffing after accl, usually valve guide. However if its trailing during de-accl (engine braking) you are looking at rings or bad ring seal, possible warped cyl walls. This is usually shared with excessive oil in the PCV system.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:40 AM

Ya my engine needs to be rebuilt. I never see it when engine braking, only on accel, but there is copious amounts of oil in the PCV valve and tube. I have replaced the PCV valve with a new unit from TOYOTA.

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 04-10-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:42 AM

dunno if this pertains to you. after my first HG went i had it replaced. all upper gaskets etc. some where around 200K it started using more than it ever did, about 2qt@wk eventually it lead to (doesn't mean it caused it) a rod blowing a hole in the block. every shop i went to would tell me it sounded horrible . drove it till it happened

if you can afford to park it rebuild it. all new parts internal (it'll work better in the long run_ i'm even going as far as new bolts. sorry if this post doesn't help.

Last edited by yotarover; 04-10-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:49 AM

Its still running great actually. Just started knocking a little at certain LOW rpms (like 500. sometimes idles low at stop lights). It has been using oil since I bought it. Oil pressure has never been very good. I'm already planning on rebuilding it, or dropping a rebuilt engine in her. I'm looking for a 22re already out that needs to be rebuilt or, is just cheap. Rebuilding that engine, then dropping it in once done. I live like 4 miles from work and was planning on getting a bike for the summer anyhow

Its funny- I replaced the head gasket about 10K miles ago, (136K) and for the first two weeks after doing it, she didnt use a drop of oil...then it started again. Then I replaced the PCV valve and for a week she didnt use oil...then it got worse...then one day it stopped using oil... I accidently over filled the oil..then it started using a lot more, and the front main started leaking... oooh shes still tickin' though
Old 04-10-2011, 01:29 AM

bike or lexus sc400 or a 300
Old 04-10-2011, 01:35 AM

not yota related but if your ever in nc. on hwy 64 there is a older guy who owns a shope called. 64 Cycle (between ruth & Morganton ) he finds bikes and rebuilds them all new parts. i'm kinda regretting not getting a ninja for 1200$
Old 04-10-2011, 01:42 AM

when i replaced the hg. the rings were kinda worn out after 19 yrs of use. bearing were going bad (like i said drive it till it falls apart) but then again my truck is still sitting under the car port. rebuild it all new parts to the bolts. swap in a 5sp (rebuilt new parts) new parts for the front and rear (ifs or sas).

honestly i'd sell my lexus sc400 V8 before i got rid of my yota
Old 04-10-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there a good vacuum on the pcv when running ? The hose to it could be plugged or a build up in the intake restricting flow.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:58 AM

The PCV system doesnt have a vacuum. Positive Crankcase Vent, all it does is allow combustion gas that escapes past the rings to vent back into the intake instead of into the atmosphere. It also prevents excessive gasses from building up under the pistons and blowing out seals.

Bad rings will allow too much combustion gas into the crankcase (below pistons) and blow a heavy liquid oil back into the intake, therefore burning oil (aka, blow by). But as I said earlier, this will show a heavy oil in the PCV system.

To clarify, the PCV has a positive vent pressure, not a vacuum.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil
The PCV system doesnt have a vacuum. Positive Crankcase Vent, all it does is allow combustion gas that escapes past the rings to vent back into the intake instead of into the atmosphere. It also prevents excessive gasses from building up under the pistons and blowing out seals.

Bad rings will allow too much combustion gas into the crankcase (below pistons) and blow a heavy liquid oil back into the intake, therefore burning oil (aka, blow by). But as I said earlier, this will show a heavy oil in the PCV system.

To clarify, the PCV has a positive vent pressure, not a vacuum.
It draws the gases back into the intake system to re burn them with vacuum, with out the vacuum it would be a vent.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:13 AM

More defined as a circulation of gasses as the pulled gasses are replaced with clean air to prevent combustion gasses from collecting in the valve system. This is why V6 engines only have one PCV valve and a non PCV hose from the air cleaner in the other valve cover.

Which to the OP, will not oil disappear. If oil is passing through the PCV system its due to blow by which is a bottom end issue.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:38 AM

A poorly working pcv system can cause a engine to build excessive pressure ,which can cause oil to be forced past seals and rings. It may not be as common on Toyota engines, but I have seen it happen on American made engines. Just a suggestion on a possible cause.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:16 AM

Flashback:

I ran a 5star Chrysler service dept down near Myrtle Beach a few life times ago. I had a fella come in PISSED because another dealer raped his wallet to solve a silly problem.

Truck was a Dakota R/T 5.9. He installed a few silly things to make himself feel better about his weak engine; usual crap, exhaust, K&N cold air intake etc.

Anyway, every 2 minutes you heard a God awlful squeal which lasted about 15 seconds. The prior dealer replaced the alt, water pump, belts, tensioners, belly pan gasket, clutch fan, belt; some of the items twice.

I stand there looking at this thing, just watching as it cycled every few minutes from quiet to SQUEEEEEEEL.......

I figured all factory components had been replaced several times, had to be the aftermarket intake. I spend all of 3 minutes poking at his cold air intake and find that the PCV vent hose was ran to the cold air intake, but the hole was optional. The vent knockout was never removed/drilled out.

The engine would build up positive crank pressure and couldnt push it into the intake, so at a point it would leak out of the blocked fitting.

Last edited by Sportsmanphil; 04-10-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:43 AM

What did you get for a compression test on each cylinder? I had a similar problem in a 87 4runner, but it burned oil too. It ended up being the valve guides.