86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing cover gasket

So im new to this whole toyota thing i just got an 87 with the 22r seems to run good but leaks oil out the timing cover gasket i was just wondering how big a job it would be to replace the gasket and is there anything else i should do while im in there? any help is greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
How many miles?

How many miles since it's had a timing chain kit done?

IMHO, since I've been through this 'leaking timing cover' thing.... NOT worth it to try and seal it up through the bolt holes, etc..... It doesn't last most often(didn't for me).

Timing chain job is a bit extensive for a beginner... but it's a GOOD, no GREAT thing to learn on. You have to remove quite a bit, but it's pretty roomy in there and as long as you follow EVERY instruction to the tee... you'll be fine. Personally, if you're, let's say, 150K Miles and never done the timing chain? I'd do it now, ABSOLUTELY!

1.(IF YOU ARE over 150K miles and on the same chain kit) Order the kit from www.engnbldr.com . Give them a call and talk to Tod really quick, explain to him the miles, etc., and let him help you decide on "should I get a new Water Pump, Oil Pump, just get the whole kit?" stuff.. HE WILL NOT try to sell you anything, ...but GREAT guy and great customer service. (Especially with an 87 22RE with 7" lift... I would imagine it does a WEE bit more work than most, eh? )

2. When you get to the Chain install(if you do so), DO NOT PUT GLOBS OF SEALER ON THE GASKET/BLOCK/T-COVER, k? IT WILL leak again(ask me how I know? My former KNOB machinist did it to me, leaked like a pig!).

3. Use this, http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml .... Great guy and a Member on here who KNOWS HIS STUFF! There are also lots of threads, including mine and Irab, and many others, who've done it with pictures and even video. You will NOT have trouble finding all the info you need, plus some tips on getting the CAM drive gear up over the CAM easier, etc. K?

I just don't see it being logical to tear all that off and not replace that kit for maintenance, ya know? It's CHEAP maintenance and could save you EXPENSIVE repairs if you snap the chain, blow a chain guide, etc.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 AM

Is it the valve cover (on top) or on the front of the engine (behind the fan)?

Last edited by Chickenman; 05-12-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chickenman
Is it the valve cover (on top) or on the front of the engine (behind the fan)?
Hmmmm, I hadn't thought of that, hahahaha. Sup, Chickenman?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:06 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to ChefYota4x4 for putting that link in for 4Crawler's timing cover direction! I just had to replace the timing chain tensioner on my daughter's '86 runner and never would have found the top bolt hidden in the pool of oil! Alot of stuff to take off, but really not a bad job once you get into it!
Old 05-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by TENTRACKS
Just wanted to say thanks to ChefYota4x4 for putting that link in for 4Crawler's timing cover direction! I just had to replace the timing chain tensioner on my daughter's '86 runner and never would have found the top bolt hidden in the pool of oil! Alot of stuff to take off, but really not a bad job once you get into it!
WOOT! lol... Now that's what it's all about ........ Now back to scheming up ways to kill my own G22REmlins! hahaha.

Hey, Ten, ... you didn't forget the sealant on the top/center oil pump bolt, did ya? (Or maybe you never removed it? The pump?)

PS> O.P./JMH1994 .... any update?????
Old 05-16-2012, 06:38 PM

that's awesome! Lets here how the rest of it went!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:15 AM

It just rolled over 200k it leaks out of the timing cover not the valve cover i was going to go ahead and do the timing chain too probly but to be a 22 r it really does not work to hard to be on 35s
Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 AM

Hey man, you can run 40's if ya want... it's all in the 'preference', and it's YOUR BEAST, right? WILL wear things out faster, especially underneath(especially if they're not reinforced)... but again, it's your choice, 100%. Gotta be happy with whatcha drive. BUT, when it's leaking like a stuck pig from the timing cover.... trust me, THAT WILL become 'POURING out the timing cover', .....sooner than later. It's not just leaking out the front main seal, right?

If it's just too tight on cash right now, etc.(I have no way of knowing), at least just pull the valve cover and check out the guides(IF it's only leaking from the front main seal/oil would be slinging all over the front of the engine, if so...???). If it IS a leak on the side of the cover or through a bolt hole... trust me, PULL THAT SUCKER, and while in there, replace the timing Kit. (READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY, especially on 'marking the bolt locations' and 'do NOT torque the tensioner past 10-12ft#' and 'don't use LOTS of sealer' AND '.... SEALER GOES ON the top/center oil pump bolt(if you even remove it).

Report back, JMH

PS> DO NOT gouge or nick the timing cover... Treat it GENTLY. The block and t-cover surfaces need to be SPOTLESS and dry, and free of nicks/scratches.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:19 PM

86 timing cover gasket

The oil pump was another story, I did take the top bolt out with no trouble ( hidden-but I always like to feel around where I can't see! ) when I went to replace it, the thread stripped before I could snug it ( someone else had the cover off before me!) It's still not in there, only leaks a little though, so I will go back in, pull the pump, drill it out and re-thread for a larger bolt ( was my plan!)
Old 05-23-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by TENTRACKS
The oil pump was another story, I did take the top bolt out with no trouble ( hidden-but I always like to feel around where I can't see! ) when I went to replace it, the thread stripped before I could snug it ( someone else had the cover off before me!) It's still not in there, only leaks a little though, so I will go back in, pull the pump, drill it out and re-thread for a larger bolt ( was my plan!)
Right on, ..... don't forget the sealant on that top bolt(it's in every manual, even the Haynes[while yes, the Haynes DOES like to hide much in babble, lol... it's there] ..... and THERE ARE 3 differen't torque values of the "Oil Pump Mounting Bolts".... I believe 9# on 1 bolt/14# on 2/ and 19# on the other 2...)Is it possible you didn't know this and torqued a 9# value bolt to 19#?. NOT razzin ya... I can't know what you did, lol... Just asking for the heck of it.

And, ..... are you in L.A.? I have a timing cover you can grab if you'd like, on the cheap(engnbldr sells em for 50$ or so, and the junk yards have them for around the same, Aisin).

Make sure that TOP/CENTER oil pump mounting bolt(which gets sealant on it) does not protrude from the back, it will push on the tensioner and can REALLY mess with things.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, Admitted noob here. So when replacing the timing cover, you put a thin layer of FIPG (or sealant) in between BOTH the engine block and gaskets, and ALSO in between the timing cover and gaskets, correct ? Also the top center bolt on the oil pump to be sealed. Just put loctite or something on the threads before installing ? Lastly, I left the head in and my head gasket in the front is not "stuck" to the head anymore. Should I bend it down slightly and seal it back to the head or just put sealant on the bottom of it when installing the timing cover ? Thanks all for the tips/tricks.

Last edited by Larz28; 05-29-2013 at 09:38 AM.