Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

timing chain cover question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:35 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing chain cover question

can I remove the cover without having to replace a head gasket or oil pan gasket? I think I can, but I need a rough idea of time span on this for those that have done it? The motor will be in the truck, and I will remove the shroud, radiator and so forth.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:50 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If you're not pulling the head or the oil pan, you still need to replace the gaskets. That's a given anytime you break a seal. You may be able to leave the headgasket intact, but should you have problems matching the cover up to the dowels or bugger the gasket, chop it off with a sharp chisel at the head/block CLEAN and reseal with ultra grey or FIPG.

There's several threads discussing whether or not to pull the head/oil pan, but one is going on right now. One of the things brought up in the present thread, though, is the notion that is the timing chain has failed....ie. guides or chain have broken.....that it would be a good thing and even necessary to atleast drop the oil pan to remove broken pieces so as not to obstruct the oil pick up strainer or draw remiments into the oil galleys. You may not be facing this situation, but I thought I'd mention it just the same.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ive done it... its a gamble. if you try, just use a lot of high temp gasket maker in there when it goes back together.
when i did it was with a new head gasket and oil pan gasket so they hadnt really mated to the surfaces. i would think yours would be more likely to tear
Old 12-29-2008, 06:20 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
see thing is, I just put this motor in a month ago, I had to go fast so I couldnt take my time and do the timing while it was out, I took the old pieces out of the pan, and put a new oil pan gasket on because the motor was in a 2wd and I need my pan, I also did the head gasket a month ago and really dont want to take the motor completely apart. Ok, thanks for the help. What was the time span. I can do the head gasket in about an hour and a half, is this as tedious as that?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:23 AM

also, I have just discovered when I downshift around 30mph, the truck chatters like it had a heavy duty clutch in it. These arent real fast vibes, they are kind of big bouncy vibes.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
ujoint?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I just did my head gasket and I can add that you do not need to drop the oil pan. That said, remembering the head gasket it does go between the head and timing cover. I think it would be a gamble to not replace the HG. I know, makes the job that much bigger, but it's better than doing it twice or even three times. I used the Toyota gasket goop for the oil pan btw.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:15 AM

My cousin did timing cover without doing the head gasket and has bad oil leaks now. I told him to yank the head, but he is stubborn. I use rubber pan gaskets, they are reuseable
Old 12-29-2008, 09:23 AM

I vote to pull head. I hate gambling w/ my yoder. i always end up on the losing end. spend a extra hour or so now. Avoid the stress of wondering if it will make it trouble free outdoors next time u go!!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 AM

I have done it before without problems. You have to be careful of the head gasket when you pull the cover off. Also make sure the you drop the front part of the oil pan a bit. You can do that in a way that you only brake the front seal of the pan. Push some silicone up in the crack after and you should not have a problem.

This is not the right way but since your gaskets are new you should be able to do it.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:09 PM

I know I just hate to go out and by another head gasket when this one is only a month old.

I was thinking ujoints for the downshift chatter also, I might just run the chain until it snaps, I have a brand new head in case the one on there bends the valves.