Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

switching from mechanic to electric fan ??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
switching from mechanic to electric fan ??????

Hey guys, got a few questions. To solve my problem of a seized fan support bracket bearing(the one the fan rides on) I am trying to switch it over to electric fan. I have the correct length belts for the P.S. pump to crank pulley and Altentor to crank pulley. I went to start it and it made gnarly sounds, and i am almost 100% its cause my timing belt is now loose. I saw the the stock fan support bracket has a timing belt tensioner--http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/engine/67timingbe.pdf

( the cheap aftermarket Dorman one did not even have a tensioner!!!).

So I put the stock(seized bearing) fan support bracket back on with no fan or pulley and use it just to put tension on the timing belt?? Any help would be awesome cause I am sick of the damn False water pump BS
Old 12-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The timing belt tensioner is not on the fan bracket, it's on the block under the timing belt cover. Removing the fan bracket will not affect your timing belt at all. If it's making a noise without the fan bracket installed then it could be the power steering pump of alternator. Try putting just one belt on at a time and see which one makes the noise.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you hear where exactly the sound is coming from? Was it a squealing or grinding type sound? Typically a loose timing chain sounds like a loud chattering as it slap[s the timing cover.

Let me clarify for myself. Are you bypassing the fan support pulley all togehter and running a shorter belt to alternator?

I just did an E-fan conversion on mine, but left same belt just removed fan clutch assembly.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:56 PM

I am bypasing the fan support pulley all together by running shorter belts to alt. and P.S.. Its does sound like the timing belt it hitting the timing belt cover..... and I when I grab the timing belt it seems waaaayy to loose. I have never had a problem with before I took the timing belt cover off. And eric the red, it seems way to loud and serious, the other belts(alt. and P.S.) and tight and what not. I hope it did not through my timing out of whack!
Old 12-05-2008, 06:04 PM

Alright so I just had my buddy from work over who rebulit his 3.slow in his truck. Here is what we found out...
-My timing belt jumped all over the place All the timing was way off.
-This could mean my engine its a worthless pile of metal( bent vavles, top of pistons, etc)
-the reason why this happen was cause I DO need the fan support bracket due to the fact that it has a timing belt tensioner on it....SEE LINK
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...67timingbe.pdf

-There is a pulley in there that puts tensioner on the belt, but the rod in that tensioner(on the fan support bracket) puts tension on that tensioner pulley.

Damn I love this motor......
Old 12-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cpizzle42
-My timing belt jumped all over the place All the timing was way off.
You will have to remove the timing covers and put the belt on correctly, might not be a bad idea to put a new belt on while you're there

-This could mean my engine its a worthless pile of metal( bent vavles, top of pistons, etc)
No, the 3.0 in a non-interference engine, the valves do not hit the pistons, there shouldn't be any mecahnical damage

-the reason why this happen was cause I DO need the fan support bracket due to the fact that it has a timing belt tensioner on it....SEE LINK
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...67timingbe.pdf

-There is a pulley in there that puts tensioner on the belt, but the rod in that tensioner(on the fan support bracket) puts tension on that tensioner pulley.

Damn I love this motor......
I've never seen a timing belt tensoiner attached to the fan bracket, they are bolted to the block
Old 12-06-2008, 05:13 PM

Actually, I think the .pdf you have is for the VERY similar 3VZ-FE 3.0 liter V6. The tensioner mentioned in your .pdf is part of that motor, not yours. Yours is the 3VZ-E 3.0 liter V6. The other posts are correct, your timing belt tensioner is under the timing cover. Your .pdf file shows a similar component but calls it simply an "idler pulley". Your application uses the same idler pulley but it has a swinging mount and a spring to provide tension for the belt.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by viciouscycle; 12-06-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:16 AM

yeah your right i got the 3VZ-E with there is a pulley which gets tension from a tensioner thingy on the fan support bracket.