Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

91 4Runner Tailgate Window Unknown Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 4Runner Tailgate Window Unknown Gremlin

Hello to all and thank you for this amazing site full of great info. I wanted to make this thread to see if my situation and solution will help other with this peculiar issue.

The emergency break on my 91 4Runner broke one day so i bought one from a local junkyard for $40. I removed the entire lever mechanism and installed the one i got. What does this have to do with the title, right? Well, as it turns out, i forgot to secure a wiring harnes back where it was originally fastened; "no big deal" some may think, but it turned out to be a real PITA!

The pull-lever mechanism was touching the cables as it slided up and down, and with time, i started to notice that the rear window wiper would activate sometimes when i released the e-brake. This led me to the conclusion that it was grounding the rear wiper circuit as the mechanism peeled the insulation of a white-black cable from the harness. This, as i checked the diagrams obtained here on this site (thank you yotatech), turned out to be a the grounding wire for the rear wiper switch.

Biggest issue here was that i opened the tailgate one day and it wouldn't go back up. I checked the switches, the motor, the relay (not fun to do), and nothing. So i did some research and found out that that if the rear wiper does not fully retract the tailgate window won't work (shocking). So after digging through the good ol digrams i decide to trick the relay into thinking the tailgate window is up and see if it makes the wiper work and it did.

These steps are considering that you have the same problem that I had which was that the window was stuck open. Here's what i did:

1. Open the tailgate, and remove the access panel to the motor.
2. Unplug the connector to the motor and supply power to the motor directly.
**Do this carefully as the window's weight will pull it down as is extends out of the tailgate**
3. Once the window is fully out close the side latches of the tailgate as if it was fully closed (This will trick the relay and the sensors to believe the tailgate and window are fully closed).
4. Lift the rear wiper blade into maintenance position, activate the rear wiper switch, and turn it off for the wiper arm to return to where it rests (you have to put the blade to rest manually).

This resets the relay into ready position.

In my case, the short caused the wiper motor to activate while the window was open, this caused a fault and the relay locked the window motor and the wiper at the same time.

I hope someone finds this useful and can make use of the awesome pics of my little disaster that kept me awake from 2230 to 0630
Old 07-27-2015, 02:02 AM

Disaster Pics

This is how i wired the motor to feed power directly with the battery.

Rear Left side panel partially off to check the rear power window relay.

Rear Power Window Relay

Rear Wiper Motor and Mechanism

Tailgate Side Latch locked into close position

Rear window fully extended
Old 07-27-2015, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the write up and pictures!
Old 07-27-2015, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by grumpin
Thanks for the write up and pictures!
No problem, i hope it helps.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:21 AM

my window motor works but is not getting power? the wiper works- tried jumping from wiper to motor with no success-checked relays and believe they are good (can hear click)-wiper arm is missing! when I turn wiper off i feel its going all the way to end position-found 2 broke ground wires in tailgate and reconnected, still nothing from window motor but now have door ajar light on dash (constant) where do I look now??? driving me nuts!!! also - as a side note radio wires where all cut- with that there are 5 wires that are cut and I don't know where they should connect-grey and red stripe which has 2 wires (red&white)-grey wire with 2 wires (black&white)- black&red wire-white&green wire-and a green wire. these are all located on floor by radio , do they have anything to do with window-door locks-pwr. mirror-sunroof-or shift lock? getting p46 code??? lost at this point- I have a feeling intergration relay is suspect but cant get fuse box off- removed 1 screw on bottom and it don't budge--- any ideas would be great
Old 02-15-2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by rocket01
my window motor works but is not getting power? the wiper works- tried jumping from wiper to motor with no success-checked relays and believe they are good (can hear click)-wiper arm is missing! when I turn wiper off i feel its going all the way to end position-found 2 broke ground wires in tailgate and reconnected, still nothing from window motor but now have door ajar light on dash (constant) where do I look now??? driving me nuts!!! also - as a side note radio wires where all cut- with that there are 5 wires that are cut and I don't know where they should connect-grey and red stripe which has 2 wires (red&white)-grey wire with 2 wires (black&white)- black&red wire-white&green wire-and a green wire. these are all located on floor by radio , do they have anything to do with window-door locks-pwr. mirror-sunroof-or shift lock? getting p46 code??? lost at this point- I have a feeling intergration relay is suspect but cant get fuse box off- removed 1 screw on bottom and it don't budge--- any ideas would be great
The tailgate has a switch/sensor that warns you when it's open, if that light is on its telling the wiper motor not to turn on even if everything is okay, you should start by checking that switch on the tailgate, on my 92 it activates when the side latches lock, yours may be the same
Old 04-30-2018, 10:19 PM

Cable from frame to back of the block

Driving home truck would loose power (loose power for about 2 sec then turn on back to normal . Few blocks down it would do the same)
I get home to check and the wire connecting from the frame to the back of the block is burnt off .
were should I re connect that one ?