Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Steering Overhaul 89 IFS 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Overhaul 89 IFS 3.0L

hey all
My 89 pu with 330+K is in need of some new steering components. IE all my bushings on my tie rod and relay rod seem to be "not good"...

What I'm thinking is rather then replace only what it needs now, I my as well replace everything that could even potentially need it while I'm getting under there.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has undertaken a project similar to this, and if so:
What all for parts were ordered/ not ordered and wished they had/ ordered and not needed?
How critical is it that I get the correct pullers (ie for pitman arm removal, tie rod removal from relay rod... etc)? I have a Heavy Duty meachanic friend with a wide range of pullers on his truck but they are mostly for bigger applications.
While I'm in there, is there anything else anyone can think of for me to look over/ check/ replace to potentially save me a headache down the road?
Also, any good pages out there that someones come across dealing with any of this work? I do have a FSM, but always like to read through someone else's experiences before I start something like this.

And before you post with the obvious, yes I know all I should need is a cutting torch, a welder and a SAS kit, but just not quite ready for that game yet. All in good time..

Thanks in advance for any help, replies...
Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 AM

I am about to embark on this with my frame-up restore. Ironically, today the UPS man/woman should be dropping off a box with 4 new ball joints and 4 tie rod ends. I got them on eBay for about $100. Not sure if I'll regret getting them there or not (not sure on the quality), but buying them individually would cost more. The same person sells the idler and pitman arms as well.

I can let you know how they turn out.

You'll need a puller for the pitman arm. I used a combination of the puller and a tie rod fork on the tie rod ends. You can also bang the crap out of them as well, but once they come loose, you'll more than likely have to cut off the nushroom left over to get them out.

I attempted to pull the pitman arm at one time, but gave up after breaking one puller, and had no patience with the second one. The pitman is on tight, but apparently will come off by putting the tool on, cranking it down a bit, dousing it with PB blaster or equiv. and some "light" taps. I may try to remove it again, but not until the steering box is back on the frame.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota parts are brutally expensive, and economy parts are just that. My locally-available econo tie rod ends are holding up fine, but my non-greaseable idler is shot in less than 6 months.

Cost is always a factor. I'd go the eBay route, and replace components as needed down the line with OEM or lifetime warranty parts. Nothing lasts forever
Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 AM

Ya, my box came in. They a OE Brand parts. The tie rod ends and the upper ball joints all have grease fittings, the same that were on my truck. That's a plus. They also appear to have all the hardware too. I didn't take them all out of their bags yet, not until I actually get to putting things back together.

The seller ID on eBay is bestsuspension. Stuff comes from Florida. Oh, and the stuff at least carries a 1 year warranty.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:24 PM

right on
really appreciate the info, thanx guys
Old 04-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Wow, $123 from that seller for all tie road ends, all ball joints, idler and pitman arm! Not too bad... only thing I see is that if their as pictured, there not greasable; but it's hard to tell. I'm still adding him as a favorite seller for when the time comes around and I need them! Thanks for sharing the find
Old 04-11-2008, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
Wow, $123 from that seller for all tie road ends, all ball joints, idler and pitman arm! Not too bad... only thing I see is that if their as pictured, there not greasable; but it's hard to tell. I'm still adding him as a favorite seller for when the time comes around and I need them! Thanks for sharing the find
Again, the tie rod ends an the upper ball joints that I got all had grease fittings. I'm not saying that the idler has any or not, cause I didn't get one.

I could snap a few pics of the stuff I got, if it helps.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:49 AM

I bought similar balljoints and tierod set a year or so ago and the balljoints did not hold up. I just replaced them last week with Toyota balljoints. I just installed the new cheap tie rods last week as well, and hopefully they hold up longer than the balljoints. I will check this weekend how the idler is holding up from the past year.

I remember when I installed the balljoints I even had to drill the holes out to make them fit as the lower castings were not to spec.

If I had known before hand that I could get balljoints for $45 each or so from TOYOTAPARTSALES.COM, I would have bought them there originally. Yes I hate the local dealer as every time I buy something from them, I feel seriously violated. TOYOTAPARTSALES.COM has excellent prices for Toyota parts.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:35 AM

Also check out ToyotaPartsCenter.net and RockAuto.com They both carry OEM Toyota stuff at very good prices. I had to replace my pitman arm on my '88, and ended up going to the dealer though instead. Still, from the dealer it was only around $80...so that's not too bad all things considered. I would have saved about $20 by going with RockAuto on that part...but I needed it that day and couldn't wait.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:20 AM

If it were me I would spend the money on the ball joints and save on the rod ends. Rod end will last a long time as long as you grease them, even cheap ones, but not ball joints. If you don't look after the stuff get the most expensive you can get. Make sure you get an idler with grease fittings as none of them last long but grease helps.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:14 PM

$1448 Toyota wanted for balljoints, inner and outer tie rod ends, pitman arm and idler arm...
Customs are probably gonna nab me a little bit at border (take off you hosers!) but so far I've spent $195 CAD with shipping included in that price...
Thanks very much for the info again everyone (especially Cyberman). You just saved me 1200 bucks!

oh and BTW good luck with the frame off!!! Your aviator makes me jealous...