86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter issues

I've tried looking up threads on here with my concerns, but haven't had much luck...if anyone can point me in the right direction, please do! Otherwise.....

I have a starting problem. Yes, another one of these threads! Here's mine: sometimes my truck won't start. The relay clicks, and I can hear the cold start injector injecting, but not even a click from the starter itself. This usually happens when I've driven for a while. It's like, after I turn the truck off for a few minutes and something gets heat soaked, then it happens...but not 100% of the time either.

I've checked the relay, and it clicks when power is applied. I've also changed the starter contacts with a set bought from the Toyota dealer. Still, the problem persists.

When this happens, using the clutch cancel switch or depressing the clutch has no effect. In order to start it then, I have to pop my hood, get out, pull the cold start injector connector off, then use a wire from there straight to the battery, and it will start every single time.

My starter is a Napa starter, not the OEM. Could this have something to do with it? My co-worker says he went through 4 Napa starters on his Toyota van before finally getting a Toyota starter, and the problem went away...I don't want to spend $150 on a reman Toyota starter if I'm not even sure that's the problem.

My truck is an '89 Toyota 4Runner, with the v6, manual transmission, and 4wd. HELP!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Try this test to help identify the source of the problem:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest
Old 07-12-2011, 03:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Had the same problem for a while, replaced the starter, ignition switch, checked all the grounds, redid the connections (cleaned them) etc etc etc.

Installed a Hot Shot kit and the problem is gone.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:37 AM

I just replaced my starter on my 3.0L and now my truck starts like a charm... But my had been failing much like yours for quite some time. and i was milking it.

Lifetime warranty at O'Reily's was only 73.99...
Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 AM

Try smacking the starter with a hammer next time it dose this. If it starts normally once you do that then its time for a new starter. Hope this helps
Old 07-12-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Had the same problem for a while, replaced the starter, ignition switch, checked all the grounds, redid the connections (cleaned them) etc etc etc.

Installed a Hot Shot kit and the problem is gone.
Junkers...what's a "Hot Shot" kit?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Shoua
Junkers...what's a "Hot Shot" kit?
A starter relay kit:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#OtherOptions
Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkStrong16
Try smacking the starter with a hammer next time it dose this. If it starts normally once you do that then its time for a new starter. Hope this helps
No need for a new starter; just replace the contacts (under $20) & she'll be like new~
Old 07-13-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
No need for a new starter; just replace the contacts (under $20) & she'll be like new~
Did you read my original post? I've already replaced the contacts with the OEM Toyota ones. Didn't help.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
imo, should stay away from non factory starters. your better off buying a junkyard oem starter and changing the contacts on that. even rebuilding one completely is better than any autostore starter. you usually get a click from the starter if the contacts are worn, since your not getting a click. it could be a bad solenoid in the starter or a weak relay. another thing i have seen alot is if your battery terminal is not tight. like you can grab each wire at the battery and twist it. if you got movement. tighten them down or replace the terminal if its already worn out. corrosion on the wire to the starter is another i would check
Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
imo, should stay away from non factory starters. your better off buying a junkyard oem starter and changing the contacts on that. even rebuilding one completely is better than any autostore starter. you usually get a click from the starter if the contacts are worn, since your not getting a click. it could be a bad solenoid in the starter or a weak relay. another thing i have seen alot is if your battery terminal is not tight. like you can grab each wire at the battery and twist it. if you got movement. tighten them down or replace the terminal if its already worn out. corrosion on the wire to the starter is another i would check
I've already tried all of this. The thing that puzzles me, is that when I use a wire from the cold start injector wire straight to the battery, it fires up every single time.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:04 PM

should try the hot start set up than. i need to look at the cold start wiring diagram and see if it ties into the starter circuit. if it does. might be a wiring issue
Old 07-15-2011, 04:58 PM

This morning, it acted up, so I whacked the starter relay a few times and then it started right up. Coincidence? Maybe.

So I took the starter relay apart. Looked good. Next: take a look at the ignition switch. Wires look good, and no broken solders. I know, that doesn't mean it's good. Cleaned the little wear there was between the contacts a bit with fine sandpaper and put back together.

Then was told next time it acts up, try wriggling the key around inside, that it might work. Or tilt the steering up and down a couple of times. If any of those two work, it might be the switch.

But then it totally slipped my mind: I have an alarm system on there, and of course it's hooked up to the ignition somehow. It looks like there's some kind of relay for the alarm, with wires going everywhere. I'll have to check there next.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 PM

Update:

The starter problem has persisted, and had gotten worse lately, so I 'fessed up and got a remanufactured OEM starter from my workplace (Toyota). It cost me an arm and a leg, but I no longer have the problem. It's been 2 weeks now, and I haven't had a problem yet.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:09 PM

You most likely have a voltage drop to your solenoid wire. A new starter is likely to be a temporary fix, since once it breaks in and needs more voltage, you will have intermittant problems again. Your friend going through 4 NAPA starters likely also was not getting enough voltage to the solenoid if it was an older vehicle. All older toyotas will benefit from the starter relay kit since they have voltage drop by design., and the solenoid needs a fair kick.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:50 AM

What starter relay kit are you referring too? I have an 87 runner with a similar problem, it has gone away but I fear it will return. I did a multiple of things. Does this relay kit work for the 4cylinder 22re?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ChickenFriedMX
What starter relay kit are you referring too? I have an 87 runner with a similar problem, it has gone away but I fear it will return. I did a multiple of things. Does this relay kit work for the 4cylinder 22re?
See one of my earliest posts in this thread for some info. on that.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:38 AM

Why spend tons of cash at toyota when you can get a denso one? Its what toyota sells you but doesn't come in a pretty toyota box.

You can find them for under 50$..
Old 10-26-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by chubbydude
You most likely have a voltage drop to your solenoid wire. A new starter is likely to be a temporary fix, since once it breaks in and needs more voltage, you will have intermittant problems again. Your friend going through 4 NAPA starters likely also was not getting enough voltage to the solenoid if it was an older vehicle. All older toyotas will benefit from the starter relay kit since they have voltage drop by design., and the solenoid needs a fair kick.
Yes, I DO plan on installing a Hot Shot kit as well.