Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

spring-under axle?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy spring-under axle?

Hey guys,
I just purchased an '89 pickup for my DD and weekend wheeling.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/...c/IMG_0239.jpg

Its pretty much stock, looks like there are some ancient aftermarket shocks and the t-bars are cranked for the little lift in the front. new 31"x10.50x15 Goodyear DuraTracs.

How come no one runs their spring packs under the rear axle? I was thinking about buying the 4" or 5" All Pro rear leaf packs and putting them under the axle. That should keep the ride height about where it is now, correct? I don't really want to do anything major to the front because I'm planning on SASing eventually and I don't want to buy parts that will just be cut off later. Then once I do get the axle in, I'll just have to move the springs up. This would work right?

I'm also planning on locking the rear SOON, debating on an auto or an elocker. LSD up front? Most likely will replace the shocks. If i end up needing slightly more lift up front, bigger torsion bars until swap. Along with all the other goodies: winch, bumpers, sliders, etc.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe the 2wd trucks use the under axle design. If you do that you will need to buy a u-bolt flip kit which will involve welding the shock mounts on to the axle, that is what i had to do when i put my flip kit in although i did not mount my springs below the axle.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to YT!

usually you don't see spring under on a wheeling rig because it would reduce ground clearance from objects passing under your axle, especially with a tall spring pack like in the 5" lift. you COULD put in the 5" lift springs now and do a SUA setup if you're planning on a SAS, but it would make more sense to keep current setup and put lift in when it's time for SAS and save yourself the energy of doing things twice. is there a reason for wanting to swap the leafs now instead of when you're going to lift it and SAS? besides having to reconfigure the rear setup twice, one issue i could potentially see would be getting your stock height shocks to work with a SUA setup unless you get very clever with mounting them up.

if it were me, i would do something temporary with the rear until it's time for SAS and lift. some things to check out might be longer shackles, add-a-leaf, ZUK coil spring mod, lift block -eww, different leafs, etc.

also doesn't make sense to start investing in IFS if you're just going to eliminate them soon anyways - these would be the stiffer t-bars, shocks, and LSD in the front that you mentioned...unless you're going to somehow get most of your money back when you ditch them, but most likely will take a loss.

I suggest you just start spending your free time reading up on YotaTech regarding lift options and searching the boards, then decide which will be most efficient with your time and money and give you the most time enjoying driving your Toyota.

Last edited by highonpottery; 01-20-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
spring unders are done alot on desert race trucks. They typically run 35's or 38's most of the time. So lifting a truck with a spring under is possible just not common.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 PM

Thanks. Seems like that would be more involved than I anticipated. My original idea was to spread the cost out by doing things one at a time, but it never occurred to me to just BUY the parts one at a time and hang on to em till i was ready. haha

I was looking at the Zuk mods earlier. That seems pretty do-able.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:06 AM

So I know this is an old thread but I have a ? about SUA lifts. My truck is an 86 RWD and I need to lift it for the purpose of getting into it easier. AndysAutoSports says they have a 3 1/2" lift kit which includes an add a leaf from Fabtech - part listed here on Amazon.
Fabtech FTS200 Soft Ride Add-A-Leaf Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Fabtech FTS200 Soft Ride Add-A-Leaf Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive
my question is doesn't adding leaves to a SUA setup lower the vehicle? Would I be better doing a shackle extension? Again I just need the truck higher for ease of getting in and out of it. These low RWD trucks suck for anyone who has had back surgery and is 6' tall or more.