86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Speedometer and Odometer and (maybe) Fuel Gauge Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedometer and Odometer and (maybe) Fuel Gauge Stopped Working

Newb to all things 4Runner. I have a 1990 4Runner, 3.0L V6, manual transmission. My speedometer and odometer and (maybe) fuel gauge stopped working all at the same time on the way home from work. I'm not sure about the fuel gauge, since it only looks like it's not moving, but I haven't driven much. I've looked through the forums and am only finding things relating to just electric speedometers, which I'm pretty sure mine isn't. So, my questions:
  1. How do I tell if my speedo is electronically driven? (I think it's not, because the needle has been bouncing/vibrating.)
  2. Do I have a VSS? What would the PN be for a manual transmission?
  3. What needs to be replaced, if anything?
  4. Is the fuel gauge related or a separate issue?
Old 02-23-2019, 11:39 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
The speedometer and odometer are driven off of the same assembly.

To figure out if you have a mechanical speedometer or an electrical speedometer, take a look at the transfer case output. You should see a cable for a mechanical speedometer or an electrical connection for an electronic speedometer. The bouncing needle is pretty common for a mechanical speedometer.

There is a Vehicle Speed Sensor built into the gauge cluster. You would also have a speed sender in the transfer case for the speedometer if it is electronic.

The parts that would need to be replaced depends on what is broken. If it is mechanical, the speedometer cable or the gears in the speedometer itself are the most likely suspects.

The fuel gauge is probably a separate issue.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:14 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by old87yota
... There is a Vehicle Speed Sensor built into the gauge cluster. You would also have a speed sender in the transfer case for the speedometer if it is electronic....
The in-dash VSS1 is only for the cable-driven speedometer. Otherwise, VSS1 is in the back of the transfer case.

VSS2 (another speed sensor) is in the AUTOMATIC transmission.

IF you have the electronic speedometer, when VSS1 starts to fail you'll get a speedometer that will suddenly drop to zero, and after a bit, spring back up. Until it can no longer make it up. Some might call that "bouncing." Slide underneath and look at the back of the transfer case, right side, above the line of the driveshaft. As always, you have a few steps you should take before you start replacing parts, but those steps depend on what you have.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:01 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
The in-dash VSS1 is only for the cable-driven speedometer. Otherwise, VSS1 is in the back of the transfer case.

VSS2 (another speed sensor) is in the AUTOMATIC transmission.
Good info, Scope103.

Thanks for clarifying.