Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Speedometer & odometer + oil pressure gauges stopped

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedometer & odometer + oil pressure gauges stopped

Forum and mechanical noob here so excuse the many faux pas.

Background: I have a 1991 4Runner 22re 4x4 manual with about 185k miles that I hope to have for many more. I picked it up from the original owner about a year ago and it is ridiculously clean. So far I've replaced the timing chain and water pump (with the help of a buddy), done a couple oil changes, installed a trailer hitch, replaced the valve cover gasket, and driven about 10k miles. Love the truck, drives like a dream in the snow.

About a month ago I noticed the speedometer and odometer had stopped working. Hasn't been working since. A few weeks later the oil pressure gauge quit too. I was getting a decent oil leak from the rear of the valve cover gasket for a while which could have been a culprit to causing the issue. Searching around the forums I've found these two helpful posts:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cation-271944/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...orking-245220/

What's the best order of operations? I'm planning to start with the easiest/cheapest options and wanted to check if the oil/speed/odometer combination is a tell-tale symptom of a specific problem before I start taking things apart and replacing parts.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Welcome to YotaTech!

You have discovered (and expertly used) "search," so you no longer qualify as a noob. Good job!

I can't add much to those two posts. Visually check that your oil pressure sensor wire is still connected. Get under the truck and look at the back of the transfer case to confirm that you, too, have an electronic VSS1. I think that is the most likely cause of losing speedo and odo together. (Is your cruise control out? Another confirmation.)

I'd suggest you carefully pull it out, take a few photos, and compare it to the ones available at Rockauto. Toyota uses various speed sensors, and I can't tell you which is which. But each one looks different enough that you should be able to match one by photo. RockAuto only sells aftermarket sensors (and the OEM ones are pretty steep). With a part number, you might even search Amazon/eBay if you are so inclined.

[e.g.,
Amazon Amazon
Yikes! This is SO much less than I paid for my OEM, that it just brings tears to my eyes!]

Here's what mine ('94, automatic, 4x4) looked like:

Last edited by scope103; 05-02-2017 at 11:45 AM.