Sponsored by: DashLynx

Odometer/Speedometer/Fuel Gauge trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Odometer/Speedometer/Fuel Gauge trouble

Hi all!

I have a 1993 Toyota Pickup v6 DLX

I am back again! To make a long story short, my truck works again and I have indulged myself in upgrading some parts. My original speedometer didn't have a tach, and was not registering any millage, but was showing how fast I was going. I accounted this to a simple VSS. When I changed the speedometer to the SR5 model, not only was my odometer still not registering ANY millage driven, it is showing the same symptoms as the previous cluster.

Let me list the symptoms for ease of reading
  1. When using the turn signals the millage slams down and jumps back up to the correct mph
  2. The odometer is not registering ANY millage
  3. I believe the fuel gauge is not registering the correct fuel in the tank, as it has not moved from F at all
After doing some googling I decided that it would be best to REPLACE the VSS, which I did today, but it has not fixed any of my problems. Hence why I am here and asking you all for your help!

Where do I go from here, what is next in the diagnosis process?

EDIT: I have replaced the oil pressure gauge to the proper one, if anyone is wondering
The following users liked this post:
Sidlinger (09-01-2023)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:22 PM

Update

The gas gauge has begun to magically work, it dropped to half a tank suddenly and after pumping $15 of gas it went up half a quarter. So good news there

Bad news is that it’s still not registering any mileage, anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-22-2018, 01:36 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Check all the connections that ground the dash display, sounds like a power issue.

Second you may have gotten a bad cluster, it should be mechanically coupled with the MPG needle. Not uncommon for people to strip then by resetting the mileage while moving..
Old 06-23-2018, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
93 has the electrical driven speedometer. I think there is a sensor that can be replaced to fix that. I am not as strong on the 92 and newer trucks.

As far as your fuel gauge, the float in the tank is a very fine wire that acts as a variable resistor. The wire is about as fine as human hair and from my experience is so worn out that the wires is worn down to just a flat spot on the float. In my build threads I show some of the float assemblies and the wire worn down on the first few pages of my builds.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:28 AM

Yeah, I don't think it's a cluster issue, as my old cluster and my new cluster are both not recording any millage. Does anyone have any information on the locations for the grounds in the dash?

Correct Terry, I definitely have an electric speedo. Thanks for the help guys
Old 08-01-2018, 02:08 PM

Fixed

The truck has all been fixed!

Figured I'd rudely double post, sorry, to update you guys on the vehicle and attempt to help future people having similar problems.

Fuel Gauge: No idea, magically started to work again

Odometer: After fiddling around with the odometer itself, I noticed the top portion of the circuit board had a break in the wire running across the two main capacitors. Took it to a local speedoshop, had them fix the break and it's good as new!

Speedometer: This one is a real pain in the ass. I still have not fixed the issue, but what I have done seems to have decreased the frequency of it occurring. I cleaned up all the grounds and put new grease on them and it has helped, but the episodes still occur at random, my next best guess is the flasher unit, and with the next paycheck you can bet I'll be buying that part.

Thank you guys once again, looking forward to getting my own build threat started soon!
The following users liked this post:
Sidlinger (09-01-2023)