Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Speakers in your 2nd Gen 4Runner

Old 06-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Speakers in your 2nd Gen 4Runner

Hey, I was just wondering, where does everyone put audio speakers in their 2nd generation 4Runners? I've heard that they came with a factory 8 speaker system, but I have spent countless hours removing panels, measuring depths, and I have even considered speaker boxes, because I have no idea where to add more speakers, or how to add bigger speakers. Any help will be great, pics of your install would also help a lot. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, i am building a fairly extensive audio system in my 4runner.
I have 4inch speakers in the dash, 6x9's mouneted under the rear pannels(requiers SOME trimming, looks stock, tweeters on the rof in the rear.

i will soon be cutting hole in all four doors for some 6.5 or 8 inch mid bass speakers. all the others run highs and i have a kick ass sub setup.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:07 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds awesome. Where are you planning on putting the mids?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:17 AM

here is mine
Name:  Picture015.jpg
Views: 3002
Size:  51.1 KB
and this is in the back
Name:  Picture013.jpg
Views: 1976
Size:  39.3 KB
Old 06-26-2007, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

did you build the door boxes your self
Old 06-26-2007, 06:44 AM

yes i made them out of fiberglass
Old 06-26-2007, 07:27 AM

This is what I did.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/system-install-my-rig-95-4runner-116183/

I didn't want any amps showing and like the factory look to hide the quality components.

Go to a stereo shop, not BEST BUY OR CIRCUIT CITY, and listen to different speakers. What is good for the goose is not always good for the gander.

Case in point - I listened to the Polks and Infinity reference 4" speakers. To me the Infinitys were too tinty in the high frequencies and lacked tone in the base end. I liked the Polk's sound and got those. Everyone has a preference to sound qualities and each manufacturer does it differently, because there are trade offs.

I have two 10" Pyles for subs and they can vibrate my teeth! The mid-bass speakers will not add much in bass sound pressure, but it would be alright to say I have ummteen million speakers around and two up your @$$ (if you have them under the seats also), but it is just what everyone wants to do that makes them happy.

I went with a simple Sony HU that had an AUX input for my XM SkyFi2. I ran from the HU to the main amp and then from there to the sub-amp & used the amp's X-over. You can build your own box for $20 worth of MFD board and spend $60-80 on 12" Pyle drivers that will blow your mind. Unless you are in a competition for prize money, you don't need to spend $1,000+ on subs & a box, when you can do it for $80-100 yourself and have better quality sound.

Research, listen to speakers and figure out what you want it to be when you are alone in the car. That is what you should do and then show it to your friends when you are done. Don't do something because your friends said to do it. It won't make them like you more.

Osiris
Old 11-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, So I finally put new speakers in the back of my 4Runner. I used the stock little boxes, still, but modified them to accept a 5.25" speaker. The install was so clean, I was amazed. Removing the rear panels was a PITA as always, but I kinda had fun making those 5.25"s fit back there. In case you are wondering, they sound great, and they fit PERFECT. If you need to know any details about this install, I'd be happy to coach you along with it. Sorry, I didn't take any pics, but if you can imagine the back of a stock 2nd Gen 4Runner with the panels on, that's what it looks like still, just with bigger, badder speakers in the back. It looks completely stock from the outside, and even inside, it's a clean install. I didn't take any pics, and I'm not about to tear the back of my Runner apart again just to snap some, so sorry. I'll take some when I get an amp hooked up to em.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
my advice would be to upgrade your front soundstage and put a clean single sub in the back. A couple rules of thumb for stereo installs....your soundstage should ALWAYS be in front of you as if you were at a concert, putting your best speakers in the rear is like standing in the bathroom at a show. If possible left and right speakers should be as close to equal distance from your listening position as possible, meaning the lower corners or kcik panels are about the ideal location, speakers in places like headrests and high in the doors means one speaker is ALOT closer to your ear than the other. Bass is non-directional meaning put your sub anyplace, though the direction it fires may affect the sound ie: into a corner etc so try a few differant placements. Rear speakers should be for fill only providing ambient sound like your rear speakers in home theater. Heres a pic of something that is made specifically for YOUR truck and gets you most of what you want with minimal work. Q forms available at crutchfield.com

Old 11-06-2007, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree on the kick panels in the front. More expensive, but... I put in new 4 inch speakers in the original dash slots, and they loose a lot because they are effectively aimed at your feet/legs, not your head.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SKNKWRX
my advice would be to upgrade your front soundstage and put a clean single sub in the back. A couple rules of thumb for stereo installs....your soundstage should ALWAYS be in front of you as if you were at a concert, putting your best speakers in the rear is like standing in the bathroom at a show. If possible left and right speakers should be as close to equal distance from your listening position as possible, meaning the lower corners or kcik panels are about the ideal location, speakers in places like headrests and high in the doors means one speaker is ALOT closer to your ear than the other. Bass is non-directional meaning put your sub anyplace, though the direction it fires may affect the sound ie: into a corner etc so try a few differant placements. Rear speakers should be for fill only providing ambient sound like your rear speakers in home theater. Heres a pic of something that is made specifically for YOUR truck and gets you most of what you want with minimal work. Q forms available at crutchfield.com

]
I put 5.25" speakers in the rear, and I realize they do more for fill than anything. But they are a definite improvement over the crappy 4" stock speakers. I believe those things you have are called Q-Form's. I have looked into those, and I was scared away from buying them by the price, and the question of how much leg room I'll have to give up to cram them in there. Keep in mind I have a 5 Speed, so I will have to clutch. Do you have any pics of your driver's side with the Q-form? Also, How hard was the install- of the speaker, and the Q-form itself? Did it come with a wiring kit? Was it difficult to wire it into the rest of your system? Are you running an amp with those? Would you recommend these?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:27 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Here's how they calculated 8 speakers:

Tweet and mid in dash (like plate separates)
Full range in back side panels
Tweets in roof panel

If you're interested in truly the best sound, especially imaging - kickpanels (like the Qforms pictures above) are the way to go. Otherwise, just throw some 6.5" coaxials in the bottom of the doors and call it good.

x2 for the listening to different speakers - everyone's taste is a little different. Be sure JL Audio is on your list to audition though.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stormin94
Hey, I was just wondering, where does everyone put audio speakers in their 2nd generation 4Runners? I've heard that they came with a factory 8 speaker system, but I have spent countless hours removing panels, measuring depths, and I have even considered speaker boxes, because I have no idea where to add more speakers, or how to add bigger speakers. Any help will be great, pics of your install would also help a lot. Thanks.
Well, onl he 92-95 2nd gen 4runners came with 6 speakers, th 90/91 4Runners only came with 4 speakers. i have replaced my speakers with 4" Alpine speakers, you cant go much bigger without mods. i have a 8" Bazooka Tub sub, it takes minimum space behind my rear seats and makes one heck of a thump. and i dont know about other 4Runners, but the way i have my sub set up, when i open my rear window, just a little, it actually AMPLIFIES my bass?!?!??? so factory says 4", butyou can get as big as you want, but it'll take time for mods. i have seen some put subs or bigger speakers on the doors to the little compartments in the cargo area. but then i would think you loose what space you have in there. depends how loud you want to be.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:15 AM

Im running my 6.5" Dynaudio components in kick panels (q-logic, they were temporary til I built fiberglass one.....that was 4yrs ago... )

BTW if you do want to run kickpanels I suggest 5.25 components, I think they are better suited for small kicks.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stormin94
I put 5.25" speakers in the rear, and I realize they do more for fill than anything. But they are a definite improvement over the crappy 4" stock speakers. I believe those things you have are called Q-Form's. I have looked into those, and I was scared away from buying them by the price, I really think they are cheap compared to building your own....time is money

and the question of how much leg room I'll have to give up to cram them in there. Keep in mind I have a 5 Speed, so I will have to clutch. Do you have any pics of your driver's side with the Q-form? I dont have pics or a clutch my trucks an auto. people have posted they do not interfere with manuals

Also, How hard was the install- of the speaker, and the Q-form itself? pretty simple considering its made for a 2nd gen and I have a 1st gen

Did it come with a wiring kit?no speakers comewith wires q forms are just plastic

Was it difficult to wire it into the rest of your system? no harder than wiring speakers anyplace else. I have installed lots of stereos so I think its easy

Are you running an amp with those? Would you recommend these? I am runing an Xtant 4 chanel amp....its pimpalicious
yes I reccomend them hope this helped
Old 11-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SKNKWRX
yes I reccomend them hope this helped
Hey, thanks for your help. I think you might just have sold me on those things. I'm going to Crutchfield tonight to check on prices...
Old 02-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Contributing Member

Speakers in Rear

Ok, so I figured out the rear speaker situation. I ended up modifying the rear boxes to accept a 5.25" speaker. I did this a few months back(November), but I didn't bother to take any picures, but I was digging through storage, and found two of the factory speaker boxes, so I figured since it was SOO easy to do, that I'd take some pics and let you know how to do it. This is a great beginner's upgrade, or budget upgrade, or starting point, because it doesn't take any mechanical knowledge, other than how to saw and file.

This is the line where I sawwed off the excess from the side (NOTE: Remove anything that is screwed onto the box around where you are working before you start cutting)
Name:  speakerbox02-1.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  12.1 KB

This is what it would look like when the sawwing was done
Name:  speakerbox02-2.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  11.8 KB

Now this is another view, from the front. This is for referance
Name:  speakerbox01.jpg
Views: 1922
Size:  19.3 KB

This is with the center blacked out, no cutting yet.
Name:  speakerbox01-1.jpg
Views: 1769
Size:  14.3 KB

This is approximately what it would look like after completing the sawing, and filing.
Name:  speakerbox01-2.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  14.0 KB

After you get done sawing, you will want to file away the excess plastic, so you have a mostly smooth area surrounding the speaker. Vacuum or blow out the plastic "dust" and find your self a 5.25" speaker to install. If you find that there are "high spots" along the inner circle(the part that you were filing), and your speaker doesn't fit, just mark those with white out, or a sharpie, and file them down so your speaker will fit. This mod is free, assuming you have a course file, a saw of some sort, a sharpie(or whiteout) a 5.25" speaker, and about 20 minutes start to finish once you get those damn back panels off. If you have any questions, just ask.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:23 PM

can someone please give me advice on how to get to the speakers? Im having trouble trying to find screw to remove the back panels. Thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by bballchrism
here is mine

and this is in the back
just wondering, but it looks like you moved the pocket to the rear on your front doors, how did ya do it?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please whatever you do dont start chopping holes in door panels and stuff......these parts are getting harder and harder to find and it really irks me to have to replace them (from POs hack jobs) to restore to stock.... Thanks in advance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speakers in your 2nd Gen 4Runner