See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Sound-Proofing/Deadening & Interior Work

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Grego92
...Also, was going to use regular aluminum tape from HomeDepot if I was going to do that.
Yep, also good for sealing in the Thermo Shield that Chef has. I'm also looking for that but Pep Boys I've checked with don't have it

I just did some google searches on this... Fatmat sucks/is great! Dynamat Sucks/is Great!P&S is Great/sucks! Second Skin beats them/B-Quiet beats the whole world
LOL! One practical and objective way to settle that is by finding two very similar vehicles (i.e., Chef's 87 Ruby Red and my 86 Ruby Tuesday- after I Zuk her), take sound level readings before and after, on same section of highway, running at same speeds. Compare results. Caveat: Chef's engine might be quieter than mine 'cause Ruby Red's had been rebuilt.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sound proofing

I'd be curious to know how this works out for you in the end. I've tried almost all the products out there and in the end sound proofing hasn't been worth the time, cost, or effort on my restorations.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I have an idea, RAD, .....

I will get the part number for you if I've not put it out to curb already(the wrapping label)...

Also, on Pepboys, as I said, you can put in your Zip code.... I would put in the one I gave you, 90274, and see if any stores come up with it on their computer. THEN you can get them to give you the part number and ask your local store to order it, ya know? I got the last roll at my closest Pep Boys... BUT, I'll be hitting up another, today, to see if they still have it(my store looked on the computer and found another store near me that had 1 ROLL)... I asked, "Why only one roll?"... He said, "It's not commonly bought.. the carpet stuffs... BUT ,we wanna keep SOME on hand.. So we just order one, then when we run out, the computer alerts us to reorder as we're now out of inventory."... So maybe your local store decided it NEVER SOLD, so let's not bother"???? lol. I know Pepboys also carries Dynamat,... BUT, they're selling out there last of it... and no more will it be in their stores. Now they will only carry Ballistic. hahaha.

Best wishes..... And you'll find it, man... no worries.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:40 PM

I did P&S(every panel, door and halfway up firewall-as far as i could reach) about two months ago and I have a wife that can smell any chemical being used/sprayed 10 houses down the road. So far she hasn't said a word in my runner about any noticeable smell. Once i applied it i let it sit in the sun for a few days making sure each side of the runner saw sunlight and haven't had any slipage or seapage, like an old man, yet. As for sound i think it made a huge difference. I still get some engine noise, and i think thats mainly from the steering shaft thing in my floor where i can see right through it. I'll also eventually take out my entire dash and put P&S as high up as I can go. I really can believe what it did to my doors. they feel and sound solid not that planky toyota sheet metal. I don't have that great of a sound system but it definately sounds better and less things rattle. there's my $.02
Old 10-18-2012, 07:42 PM

Hey RAD, ... spoke to a Pep Boys Manager, today... He said, "The smaller stores, last time my memo's on this came, NEVER carry that... They will not, because there's just simply such limited room. It would probably sell... it's just not practical"........ So there ya go. I have asked 4 stores in this 15 mile radius....... 2 Carry it. So, I've already reserved one for Tuesday, the next shipment. (The computer reorders it immediately, as I thought, since they've had SO MANY hundreds of problems with mental midgets not doing proper inventory.... Hey, that was his choice of terminology hahaha)

Wow, MOTOX seems to have had a good experience, RAD! That's good news. I wonder, Motox.... are you in an area that sees 80's and 90's for much of the summer? (Not being sarcastic... I have no clue, hahaha)...........

U-Seal is the one I saw today at Lowes, RAD.... and it was 16$.... (6" x 25')..... I gotta tell ya, as strange as this sounds.... IT DID NOT smell as bad as the P&S... but you know what? I would bet dollars to donuts(Yes I have some donuts for you if you come to collect! lol)..... I would bet that they're EXACTLY the same product, within reason... Yeah?

I thought about it... and I think if I seal off the panels well enough, do the plan I had for the Alumifoam Insulate stuff OVER the U-Seal/all layers taped off with foil tape(I got a bunch today, along with the air cell double sided foam insulation stuff, to go over my Thermo-shield... I got it to be a 100% WATERPROOF barrier, ya know? And it's thin enough that it wont bring the carpet up any higher really.. but, will acts as a Heat/Sound barrier in addition to the rest, ya know? ).... It should be fine, ya know? .... It shouldn't ever be a problem with smell. (I'm Sealing off the front panel of with some stripping I have... Yeah, ... I'm really starting to consider the P&S products... I just can't stomach 100-200$ for the same amount of RATTLETRAP or whatever, ya know? hahaha. ALTHOUGH... NEVER KNOW, I might get tired of all this searching and just GO FOR IT! hahahaha. I can't find a desperado like Grego lol.

I grabbed some HD 1/4" Project panel for the tailgate today... HAVE to redo mine, as I put any weight on it and it caves in the board that's there(OEM)... It's time...

THEN, ... what I DID score on today? What appears to be "Bed Rug" material... I got 5x6ft. for 19$!!!!!! haha... I'm going to hopefully have enough for the tailgate, both walls.... He's gonna check for me, if he can find more scrap.... I will get it and do the carpet and seat backs BEDRUG is this GNARLY strong Rubberized Carpet with the backing that DOES NOT rub off with your hand, ya know? I KNOW he has more.. but not sure on the colors, .... This is a dark charcoal/gray 'tight' burbur kinda color. I'll get pics... Might need some advice on how to sew 'new edging' around it... maybe?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:26 PM

... putting an extra layer on the firewall, on the transmission hump and under the driver side (specially if you have a header that goes right underneath).
Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Did you notice a difference in temp also I mean the floor heat from exhaust I would imagine would be improved as well.
Originally Posted by MortonPhotographic
^^Greg 92 looks pretty well hooked up!Over the top of the mass deadener, you can add something soft to dampen ambient noise--like the carpet and Jute padding under it.
Originally Posted by MortonPhotographic
...As long as all the layers are stuck together and stuck to the metal, you are good.
Agree, its the added mass that matters for deadening panels

Originally Posted by iliketoyota
or maybe he slept on it so he put it there so he wouldn't feel the humps and would have some insulation between the metal.
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey RAD, ... spoke to a Pep Boys Manager, today... So, I've already reserved one for Tuesday, the next shipment...
... I'm really starting to consider the P&S products... I just can't stomach 100-200$ for the same amount of RATTLETRAP
... THEN, ... what I DID score on today? What appears to be "Bed Rug" material... I got 5x6ft. for 19$!!!!!! :Might need some advice on how to sew 'new edging' around it... maybe?
Thanks for shopping for me, Chef! P&S , even if it's not the best, will still definitely adds mass to panel to minimize vibration, and the layers on top of it would seal off any smell.

Re: Thermal Insulation
Discombobulated, Now that I have all insulation off the floor, I can really feel the heat at footwells/firewall, on transmission hump (even through the P&S), and on driver side floor coming from exhaust, plan now is:
  1. Put thermal insulation like Chef's Thermoshield on top of P&S on on firewall, transmission hump & driver side floor, As Grego and MortonPhotographic suggest,
  2. Put back whatever thin stock fibrous carpet padding remains,
  3. Put layer of closed-cell foam* for additional sound insulation and carpet padding,
  4. Put carpet back because I haven't found a good substitute for carpet, yet.
  5. Use thinner Ensolite I ordered from RAAMMAT for curved surfaces and vertical surfaces.
  6. Most of the wide anti-fatigue mat will be used on top of the P&S on the rear deck to minimize the valleys and ridges, and add noise insulation. remainder will be used in rear passenger floor and under rear seat (Not much insulation needed as the seat upholstery already does most of that.)

BTW, Big Lots sold out of the side anti-fatigue mat like Chef's got. so I got mine from Sears. However, at Big Lots I found an exercise mat with much softer and heavier foam. I believe this is same as Ensolite and will insulate better than the stiffer foam of the Big Lots, so I think this is what I'll use for my front floors.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:13 AM

Wow, .... that sounds like it's going to get REALLY thick on the floor up there, RAD... Don't ya think? I'm just telling you from recent experience... Even on the floor in the rear...., just adding ThermoShield... the carpet got REALLY tight to 'fitting' over the tabs. Don't you have strips on the edge of the front carpet under the retaining trim? Just wondering if you could try test fitting 2 layers of the closed cell, just to see if it'll pull to the trim and line up with the slots... maybe?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:04 AM

Wow, MOTOX seems to have had a good experience, RAD! That's good news. I wonder, Motox.... are you in an area that sees 80's and 90's for much of the summer? (Not being sarcastic... I have no clue, hahaha)...........

[/quote]

You need to get out of CA more then. j/k. Here in Utah we see 90-100 degree summers.
When I did this it was around 95. Maybe that was the reason it didn't smell so back because I reaked
Old 10-22-2012, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello RAD..Just answering your PM for you. Just like Motox711, my wife can smell anything a mile away and never a complaint from her. I could only get halfway up the firewall and have yet to have any problems. I have had PS on for over a year now and was in side the panels the other day for a jack and still looking great.

Before I had the PS in there and the kids were in the back, we really had to talk loud for them to hear us and have a converstion. On my 86 runner, I have it on the panels and cargo bed floor and that is about it. I was driving mine the other day and then drove Mistys which is completely done and could tell the difference right away. I also have new window seals and the carpet in hers and that I am sure makes a difference as mine is still stripped out.

Also I really feel there is a differnce in keeping the passenger area warmer in the winter when it has been some really cold days last winter and when I didnt have it in, just seemed like I had to keep the heater going full blast. Hers has the rear heater and it was going at top speed to keep warm.

My 86 doesnt have a rear heater and without the PS in it I am sure it will be a little cooler in there.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello RAD..Just answering your PM for you. Just like Motox711, my wife can smell anything a mile away and never a complaint from her.
Thank you so much, Terry! I'm sure Chef would like this info, too. He wants better insulation for Ruby Red.
nice job on Jason's project!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:19 AM

Yes, I appreciate the input, Terry/RAD

I finally got the tailgate panel mostly done(just some finishing touches, but that's ok, cuz it has to come off anyhow to do the wiring for the dome light and panel lights Did a few pics and video, explaining how I did it.

Still trying to figure out how to do the sub... Stanz is filling me in on what he's done... He added 3/4ply and changed from 1/4" ply panels to 5/16" ply? I don't think that's adequate for a 10" sub/preventing vibration.... I think the .41"(1/2") Birch Ply will work better, ya know?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:49 PM

Soundproofing Project: Update and Final Summary

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the inputs! Project is 95% done, but with your help my plans firmed up and proven to work. I just need to do doors and tailgate according to same plan.

I consolidated final sound-proofing project "as-built" under my build thread here.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 12-01-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:29 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I had damp carpets in my reg Cab and found some surface rust. After chipping away at the factory stuff I needed to replace it. Almost went the ice shield peel and stick route, but after reading about the smell I ordered some GT MAT.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:46 PM

Name:  weaponsofchoice_zps5caf8d0e.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  62.6 KB

This what I started with.
Previous owner had allowed carpets to stay wet/damp. Luckily only surface rust.
Had to chip away all drivers side soundproofing to ensure all rust treated.

Name:  rust1_zps6b5aba9e.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  85.0 KB

After grinding/wire brushing all the rust I applied two coats of Eastwood rust converter.
Name:  inprogress_zpsb4398f1f.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  69.5 KB

Then applied GT Mat 50
Name:  soundproofingtruck_zps51a3cb1d.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  83.8 KB

It's a tough job getting the mat to fit all the contours of the floor pan. If I was to do this again I would rather use a soundproofing paint if possible. Or look for a product that will mould more easily to the contours. I'll be keeping an eye on it after each winter.
Fearful of water getting under that product and just sit there chewing away at my metal.

I ordered 100sq ft of this stuff and 50 was plenty to do the driver floor pan, under the seats and the back panel [Reg Cab 1994 Pickup]. Cabin has a plusher quieter feel to it.
Although without a decibel meter hard to quantify the improvement.

Last edited by milkybar; 06-23-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by milkybar
...It's a tough job getting the mat to fit all the contours of the floor pan.....
Good job. Yeah, lots of work but well worth it. Still need to do my front doors and tailgate this summer.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:12 AM

Nice work, Milky!

SUUUUUP RAD???
Old 05-23-2016, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Body bushing consideration

In process of Peel & sealing my cab. Just did the floors tonight.
An important consideration for anyone wishing to do a body bushing replacement or installation of a body lift should either make good note of the bolt locations or cut out the locations for less headache finding them in the future. I cut out holes for the plastic caps and covered them too, but seated them over the P&S for easy removal(Pic). Captain obvious here, but it helped me to locate and mark each hole for the seats as I went so I wouldn't lose track of their location.
Attached Thumbnails Sound-Proofing/Deadening & Interior Work-img_4183.jpg  

Last edited by sticksnstones; 05-23-2016 at 08:14 PM. Reason: add picture.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to do this project this summer. lots of good information here.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:45 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by YOUNGIAM
I'm going to do this project this summer. lots of good information here.
RAGE!!

How dare you bump this while I've still got so many holes in my rear quarter panels that the stereo is louder outside than it is inside.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:29 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Glad I read through this whole thing and your build thread. I like your write ups. Always full of good info and explanatory pictures.

I'll be going the peel and seal route when I do my truck later this year. after looking into reviews on a few other car audio forums, It is the best soundproofing/$ of anything out there.
Dynamat, hushmat, damplifier pro, soundqubed mat, etc. all would do better for sure.
However, for the money, you can double or triple up on the p&s and hit similar levels of damping for less than buying only the amount of the higher end stuff needed to cover in only a single layer, if you so choose. There have also been enough reports from people who have used p&s for multiple years that show it sticks just as well or better than any other product and continues to not smell.

good enough for me to put it in my truck.

Quick Reply: Sound-Proofing/Deadening & Interior Work