Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

single click noise inside cab when trying to start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
single click noise inside cab when trying to start.

I have a 1988 toyota pickup 22re 5 speed 4x4. I just picked her up but have a starting issue. every so often it wont start and i hear a single click noise come from inside the cab to the right of the glove box behind the speaker cover. i took the cover off and there is a relay there and it is what is making the click.
My questions what is this relay since the starter relay is in the engine bay behind the fuse box on the fender well
Next is this relay that's inside the cab my problem or something else?
Battery is good, tested it.
Starter is new! just put it in thinking it was my problem.
NOT sure if the starter relay in the engine bay is making a clicking noise as well (will check the next time this happens)
could a bad ignition switch be causing the relay to click?

I know this has been talked about but couldnt find a good thread that told me what this relay is that is inside the cab to the right of the glove box, behind the speaker cover.

Last edited by 88yota_caskey; 10-01-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Search
Old 10-01-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
The clicking is the Circuit Opening Relay. It is completely normal (you usually don't hear it over the sound of the starter). It has nothing to do with your starter not turning.

So, no, a bad ignition switch won't cause the relay to click (just the opposite). A bad ignition switch could cause the starter to not turn. So could a bad starter relay, loose panel wiring, broken solenoid wire ......

So to keep RAD4Runner from having to say this: tell us you have a multimeter and you know how to use it. If you don't, take your truck to a mechanic, we can't help you. If you do, check for voltage on the solenoid wire when disconnected from the starter, with key to STArt.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Same problem; my fix: Go get your wire splice tools and make a pigtail for the starter wire with two ends, one for the ignition wire and one for the manual start switch you are going to install. Mine is just right of the stick & I got itt from ebay, made my own panel. Not hard just time consuming. Turn the key to run the pump and press the button to roll it over.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by skypilot
same problem; my fix: Go get your wire splice tools and make a pigtail for the starter wire with two ends, one for the ignition wire and one for the manual start switch you are going to install. Mine is just right of the stick & i got itt from ebay, made my own panel. Not hard just time consuming. Turn the key to run the pump and press the button to roll it over.
starting your truck like a prius, but this is a good troubleshooting method.

O.P.,
SEARCH
Old 10-02-2017, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like he did fine troubleshooting, just took a different route to remedy his no start issue.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by 88yota_caskey
I...click behind glove compartment...Starter is new! ....
Long story short...

$11 dollars worth of parts, and it fixes the wrong wiring from the factory (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52368225).
Ask Terrys87, MrMagoo, Kingjerd, Phantez, Griswald, et al...

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-03-2017 at 09:43 AM.