Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rubbing noise and i am scared

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubbing noise and i am scared

Please let me know what you think, When accelerating (loudest at about 35 mph) i get a rubbing noise from the back of the runner, from the drivers seat it sounds like back and under. I also get the rubbing noise when i let off the accelerator and the manual transmission starts to slow the car down. But if i press the clutch it goes away and if i shift into neutral it goes away, i only seem to get the noise when accelerating or decelerating. Hear it all the time from when i start the truck to when i turn it off after 30 min of driving. it just started like 3 days ago when we started getting colder weather i don't know if that has anything to do with it, if you have any idea let me know. i am afraid it might be the transmission or something.

Last edited by linuxrunner; 12-08-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

i dont know but i hope it works out for you-
Old 12-09-2005, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Come on, nobody has any idea?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:57 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you describe the sound more? Not sure what you mean by "rubbing"...

What kind of winter conditions do you have there (temps, rain/snow/ice, salt, etc)?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

It sounds like there is somebody is behind me going shhhhhhhh It's not really grinding, more of a something sliding on something else maybe if you rub your hands together it's like that but continuous. I drove around a little today and it only happens when the transmission is stressed. Accelerating i can kind of hear it especially if i am in 3rd going around 35 and decelerating I can definitely hear it. i am not sure if it happens on the freeway as my engine is so loud i couldn't hear it if the transmission fell off . I am wondering if i should change the trany fluid, what do you think? i checked the diff fluid about 2 months ago it was good. Also i don't know if this could be related, but when i let off the gas the car always does a sharp jerking deceleration just once. It's really really bad in 1st and a little in second and 3rd, so bad i try not to drive at all in 1st because it looks like i am a 15 year old learning how to drive. Thanks for the help. as far as winter conditions they are pretty lame, just below freezeing and clear and sunny, no snow or ice really.

Last edited by linuxrunner; 12-09-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linuxrunner
It sounds like there is somebody is behind me going shhhhhhhh.
Also i don't know if this could be related, but when i let off the gas the car always does a sharp jerking deceleration just once.
As you sure it's coming from the tranny? Is it possible that it's just a vacuum leak? I've got a 3.4, but I've had similar symptoms when I've had vacuum issues.

See if you can get a buddy to riude shotgun with you and have him stick his head out the window when you hear the sounds. He may be able to isolate it better.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:51 PM

Could be brakes maybe. That would be the easiest thing to check. Maybe a u-joint. My 4runner was doing kinda the same thing, except that after about a week it started to vibrate. Luckely I checked it and the u-joint was totaly worn out. It woulda ruined my drive shaft if I woulda left it any longer. Just a couple of things to check.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:47 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just guessing, but what about your clutch? Maybe the sound you hear is the first signs of it slipping? The lurching could be when it grabs(?)

When was the last time you did the tranny oil? I think the interval is supposed to be 60k miles. Might be time to drain/fill. Use synthetic - lots of recommendations on here for Redline.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:54 PM

The same thing has been happneing to me too, I was thinking it might have been due to the extreme weather weve been having over here in bozeman
(-30 degrees). The noise is really wierd, and only happens sometimes to me, so i dont know if you have a similar problem or not, but maybe someone knows if it is infact the really cold weather/snow/ice causing something on mine, i dont know, just a thought
Old 12-09-2005, 06:14 PM

Almost sounds like a muffler/exhaust problem, but very unlikely. Maybe you just ain't shiftin' right!

J/k man, i'm sure it's this damn cold weather, it's like a plague.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:14 PM

Tranny noise is ususally a whining type noise. Mine was making a moderate whining noise especialy when decelerating, I changed all of the fluids (both differentials, transfer case and transmission) and the noise almost competely went away. As mentioned, synthetic gear oil is a great choice if you can afford the extra cost. But your noise sounds more like a vacum line or exhaust leak. If it is exhaust it will definitely get louder over time. You're getting some good suggestions from all ofthe posts here. Do a thorough inspection...if you have a gear wrencher for a friend have them check it out for a second opinion.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all your suggestions, lets see. It could be the tranny fulid, becuase when we i got the truck the drain bolt is compleatly round, so i have to pick up a new one before i change it that is why i haven't done it yet... It could be the brakes, because i had the common stuck e-bake squeek i think i might still have it, but it's very rare. but then could be a vacum hose, because i have reaplaced a few compleatly broken ones allready, i am not sure about the exhaust, but i'll check everything out later today or tomorrow. Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:59 AM

Linuxrunner and AWoods, I too am experiencing the exact same sound. It is an intermittent shhhhhh with a slight clank sound added in. heheh. Well That's how I would describe it. It only happens on accelleration and deceleration. I have an automatic, and Awood, you described the sound perfectly...so for what it's worth, you could probably axe the idea of it being you clutch. So keep me posted if you find out what is causing it. Maybe a worn out speedo cable connecting to the xfer case?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:26 AM

Check your drive train....... u-joints, etc.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

ok, checked drive train and u-joints, all look good. Just reaplaced rear shoes and hardware, changed my diff fluid, noise is still there. I will replace the trany fluid when it stops raining. i wish i had a garage i could actully park in, instead of just a room with two big doors where everybody dumps there crap.