Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

rocker vs. headgasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question rocker vs. headgasket

I rebuilt my 22RE a while back and put in a new camshaft. Because of the new cam, I put in a new set of rocker arms. Unfortunately, it seems that one of the new rockers is defective.

The engine has only been run about 80 miles. My question is that I would like to replace the entire set of rockers with a new set from a different manufacturer. But replacing them requires that the head bolts (actually ARP studs) be removed in order to pull the rocker shafts. I would really, really like to not have to pull the head and replace the head gasket.

Is it possible to loosen the head bolts long enough to replace the rockers without having to replace the head gasket given the low miles on the engine? (Draining the water is a given.) I don't want head gasket problems later on. The head gasket is a Felpro.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
If you don't break the seal, it is possible to do so. Some succeed with no problems, others experiene problems with doing so. I did this once with an MG and didn't have any issues. The real issue would be if you had original torque to yield head bolts; they'd have to be replaced.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is possible but not likely. I have tried to do it a couple time with no sucess. You can try it but if the seal brakes and you have to replace the HG, buy a Toyota gasket not a fel pro. They are more prone to problems. 22RE headbolts aren't really torque to yeald, they can be reused. 4AG/4AGE head bolts are torque to yeald and can only be used once.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had decent luck with the Felpro's.
Get a set of rockers from topline - Ted and DOA Racing both sell them.
Did your rocker not center? Sure it's oiling right? I take it you wore through the pad? You might have damaged the cam.

A lightly scuffed cam can also tear through rockers pretty quickly.

A HG with those ARPs are a bit of a pain... To me, the deal isn't that you can't reuse the HG (although I haven't tried it) - it that once you break the seal, you get a bunch of water in everything.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:52 PM

I have ARP head studs, so I'm not worried about reusing them.

The hardened face that rides against the cam came lose on the bad rocker. They are apparently pressed in. This one wasn't. Anyway, there is no damage to the cam since I caught the problem soon after it failed. The symptom was a sudden increase in rocker noise. (#2 exhaust failed.)

I've ordered a set of the prolines. I'm going to replace all of them.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
22R/22R-E engines don't have torque to yield bolts.

i've got a bad rocker in my hybrid -- they are topline rockers, with less than 2000 miles on them. apparently they've had some quality issues with these, and engnbldr recommends either reusing your old rockers or buying new ones from toyota.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyle_22r
22R/22R-E engines don't have torque to yield bolts.

i've got a bad rocker in my hybrid -- they are topline rockers, with less than 2000 miles on them. apparently they've had some quality issues with these, and engnbldr recommends either reusing your old rockers or buying new ones from toyota.
>>>*I regret having to say this but I personally had a bad time with aftermarket rocker arms, ALL brands. So much so that I quit supplying them entirely almost two years ago.

The main concern was the rocker pad coming loose, I finally determined that there is a difference in the alloy of the aluminum, since the pad itself tests right up to snuff on a drop rockwell hardness test.

All it takes is a bit more heat buildup than might be normal during breakin from friction and the molding around the pad's shoe seems to release. Then there is motion and the pad cuts, this results in taking out the camshaft, also.

It isn't just Topline, I went through 5 different suppliers with the same results, 10% failure. I even had one customer return a set for refund unused which is embarrassing, to be frank. I also changed cam blank suppliers and even switched a run of camshafts to a different company, same results.

We went back to refacing the stock rocker arms, or biting the bullet and springing for the $20 plus new OEM's. The problems vanished and we are at over 18 months without a cam lobe failure that we know of.

This is one case where the factory high priced item is cheaper in MHO...*EB
Old 09-28-2006, 10:36 AM

I haven't had a chance to install the new ones yet from proline. But from what I'm understanding, it might be a good idea to return them in favor of the official toyota set. I tossed out the old set when I changed the cam during the rebuild.

The pad seems to have failed as engnbldr described. It seems that once the pad loosens, the mounting stud that holds it wallows out the hole leaving the pad in a permanently lose condition.

The prolines were priced at $21 each from partsamerica and have a 1 year warranty. I think I'm going to return them.

Last edited by InternetRoadkill; 09-28-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:38 AM

Quick update: I got the proline rockers from partsamerica yesterday. To my suprise, they are no longer aluminum with steel shoes. It seems that proline has changed over to cast iron bodies with hardened shoes that are brazed on. I would imagine that this change will fix the lost shoe problem given that the two metals have the same expansion rate and the fact that the shoes are now brazed in place rather than simply pressed in.

Any comments?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sounds like you got 20R/81-82 22R rockers.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:08 AM

Hmm. I double checked the part number at three different parts suppliers. They all say that the parts received are the correct number and fit the 22R, 22REC, and 22RET engines (proline R-890). (???)