Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Redneck Parking,... nope, a DUI.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 05:14 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
if you want, i can keep an eye out on cl as well, and if you need a stock steel wheel or two, i've got a few

jeez... that's tough... i'm sure you'll be able to work things out. best of luck, and i'm so glad you and your family are safe

Last edited by irab88; 06-02-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I'd try to shop around the repair estimates. You might have to go out in the country a little bit, your tag says Nrthern Virginia, that could be part of the problem. Send the pics to places further out, I know prices here in Frederick are way different than where I work in Wheaton/Rockville. $150 in towing might save you a lot more at a fender-beater.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4700-5000? Who is doing the repair some kind of "Unique Whips" custom shop?!
No way the repair should cost that much... a new door and fender is like $500 max plus paint and so on... whole job should cost maybe 3000 at the outside.... maybe a little more if you have to go brand new on the CA... I got a "new" box from GA for about $700 incl shipping, 2 brand new doors and fenders for $750 3yrs ago when the C$ was worth about .90US (job would be even cheaper now lol)...
def. shop around for a few quotes on the repair and don't take the write-off right away...
IDK what the rules are in your state but in some places once a vehicle is written-off it gets "branded" as un-road worthy and it is a major PITA to get it recertified safe if you can at all...
on the door issue as long as your door guts are'nt too smashed up you can use the regulator and so on on the new door if you can't find a vent window door.
keep us informed and best of luck
aviator

Last edited by aviator; 06-02-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
that reminds me: there's a great shop by where i work. "r&d collision"... the guys are honest and helpful, but it's a good 30 miles away...
Old 06-02-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by xlaxx
Looking at this pic, with a few inches of lift and a set of sliders you would have gotten away with hardly any damage. The other car, not as likely.

Last edited by okie81; 06-02-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:14 PM

yeah that seems like a high estimate to me. Look around at the pick and pull for a used door and fender and install it yourself as that will save a little on labor. Also the insurance co is probably adding in the cost of a stripe kit from toyota as well, james dean on here sells some great kits
Old 06-03-2011, 12:11 PM

That is one of the more crazy stories I have heard. Glad to hear you are okay. Hope that guys insurance pays for a new truck.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd buy it back and fix it.... the worst it needs are:
-door
-fender
-tail light
-LCA
-shock
-CV axle
-steering rack
-tie rods
-steering column lock
-wheel

all of those can be easily found at a junk yard... $4700 to fix that little scratch? SRSLY???

you can DIY half that work and just ignore the stupid little dents and scratches... it doesn't affect how the truck will drive and most people won't even notice them
Old 06-03-2011, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
deleted.

Last edited by sebastianholmes; 06-03-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd hold out for close to what it takes to buy a truck like you had. Its over book price, if they were 4k, I'd own one. Most of the time they are 6k with 200k on them and they are approaching the end of the time period for the rust buy back.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
if you want, i can keep an eye out on cl as well, and if you need a stock steel wheel or two, i've got a few

jeez... that's tough... i'm sure you'll be able to work things out. best of luck, and i'm so glad you and your family are safe
Hey Ian- Thanks for the offer man. Been checking out your Timing Chain thread,... all I can say is nice.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:20 PM

Ya, I appreciate the replies and thoughts about all this. Let me tell you, it's been a process and a learning experience FOR SURE. Funny though because as you can see and read from the thread there are differing opinions and location is a pretty big factor here.

All in all, I have to go with Moonfish's comments,... I've got to hold out for the worth of the vehicle or do one of three things:

1) Take the buy out and add all the receipts from items that have improved the value of the vehicle,... which I have, thankfully.

2) Demand they fix my truck with sheet metal and original parts,...with warranty. Make the truck into its previous state prior to acciident.

3) If #1 and #2 fail,... time to hire an attorney and make the company pay for pain and suffering, attorney's fees, etc, while keeping the rental.

Here's an update though as I have not heard anything back since Wednesday:

- Drove a 98 4Runner V6 3.4L with 142K from a dealer yesterday, was a SR5, radiant red, 5spd. not the cleanest outside but was OK inside. Had a new front L fender, VIN sticker was missing and paint inside the engine bay was all chipped away. Looked to have been hit prior, because the inner headlight bulb retaining clip was broken/missing. Asking $7900 and when I pointed out the damage they wanted me to make an offer in a hurry,... I walked.

- Drove a 02 4Runner today V6 Limited with 129K from a private owner. White with tan leather. Was a soccer mom's bus. Babyseats and everything. It was a beach vehicle with a lot of rust on the skid plates and pulleys in the engine compartment. Heard a chirping under the hood sounded like a belt but the belts looked OK. Had a new timing chain, radiator, transmission flush, and brakes,... needed new tires definitely as it was driven a lot of hwy miles. Pretty dirty inside with the kid residue and dog hair. Seller was asking $9500 and was not too concerned about how clean it was. No accidents, all panels looked good, some dents in the bumpers. Had a towing package with it, keyless entry and seat warmers. Everything worked inside, just wasn't really clean at all.... I walked again.

I'll post a few pics of what I have seen thus far. I guess, I am just being too picky picky picky with the money I am working with. If you guys have suggestions, I am all ears. Have a lead on a 98 4 Runner tomorrow that is garage kept with 133K, asking $6k,... will take a few pics of that too.

xlaxx
Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 PM

All right! So here are a couple quick pics of a few Yotas I am looking at. I am trying to cover my bases even though I haven't settled with the lizard company yet. Need to be in a decent situation if they decide to buy me out and take the rental away. I am still holding out hope that they will do the right thing and fix my glorious 93 DeluxExtCab 4WD. She was a beauty until Mr. 2x da Legal Limit Bro crushed her last Friday.

For those of you keeping track at home, sitting in front of the ole monitor, sippin' a brew, bad-mouthing the counrty,... I have looked at two 4Runners.

Here's the 98 SR5 142K from dealer,...

Here's the 02 Limited with 129K,... you gotta trust me on this one,... the inside looked like a bomb went off, the kids puked on the floor and the labrador pooped in the back.

Oh, I forgot,... the Seller of the 02 Limited said,... "I just read a book about optimism, that's why I didn't clean it out." Are you kidding me!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:08 PM

I'll do a better job with the camera next time and get some more body shots so you get a feel for the outer condition, etc... My mechanic took a look at the 98 and said pass on it because of the missing ID number from the fender and new hood (missing all the stickers and back boarding/dampening material).
Old 06-03-2011, 07:09 PM

Heres my take, vehicles are worth what the buyer is willing to pay. I dont even tend to look at kbb or nada values, especially when looking at toyotas. If you look around CL, autotrader, ebay etc. You will see tons of toyota trucks and 4runners priced over kbb values and the reason is that people are willing to pay for them. These vehicles have a large following which is evident with forums such as this one. So in my personal opinion the best thing to do when trying to buy a used toyota truck is set a price cap that you a comfortable paying for all vehicles you would consider then start evaluting each vehicle close to that price cap individually. Especially when your in a situation where time is of the essence. And as far as Tacomas go, you absolutly 100% cannot go wrong with 95-04, I had an 01 double cab before my current 95 4runner. If it had not been bought back I would still be driving it. And the 2.4(2rz) and 2.7(3rz) are nearly identical engines, both are just as reliable as a 22re and the 3.4(5vz) is arguably the best V6 toyota has put in its trucks to date. The only real issue with the 95-04 tacomas is the frames rusting out but with toyota extending the rust warranty 15 years any tacoma after 96 is still covered to have the frame replaced at no cost and the tacomas that are available now are going to have good frames because when they first extended the warranty they were buying back tacomas at 150% retail value no matter the condition (mine got bought back ). which meant everyone took there tacoma in to have the frame inspected.

Sorry for the long post, hope its helpful.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zeb8806
...vehicles are worth what the buyer is willing to pay. I dont look at kbb or nada values.
...toyota trucks and 4runners priced over kbb values and the reason is that people are willing to pay for them....large following which is evident....set a price cap that you a comfortable paying....start evaluting each vehicle close to that price cap....specially when your in a situation where time is of the essence..
All good advice. The 02 Limited was actually advertised as being $2K below KBB value...someone would be totally crazy to pay over $10K for that trash heap in its present condition. The Seller was still paying it off and didn't have the title either. It was kind of gross just to sit in it. People need to have a clue on presentation for that kind of money IMO.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:36 PM

ive been reading this from the first day, and figure it's time to post my opinon...

hire the attorny and make them pay out the yin/yang, take the cash, buy that truck back, then take the remaining cash and rebuild that truck, trade/sell it, for a decent sum, then take all your money and buy what you want! if you can do that...

sorry to hear about the wreck, but at least nobody was hurt!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Hey Zeb8806 long time no see man. oh sorry for the hi-jack. But I do agree with him, it's all in the buyer and what they are comfortable in paying. It also depends on if the buyer is more geared towards cosmetic problems or mechanical problems and what they are and are not willing or capable of repairing themselves.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:38 PM

I keep forgetting stuff to put in posts,... must be the Fat Tire Beer,... but if I catch a whiff of another one of those freakin' scent trees that hang in vehicles to give it some type of aroma or atmosphere, I'm gonna hit someone!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by xlaxx
I keep forgetting stuff to put in posts,... must be the Fat Tire Beer,... but if I catch a whiff of another one of those freakin' scent trees that hang in vehicles to give it some type of aroma or atmosphere, I'm gonna hit someone!
i don't know why, but, for some reason, that just tickled my funny bone lol

Quick Reply: Redneck Parking,... nope, a DUI.