Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Redneck Parking,... nope, a DUI.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redneck Parking,... nope, a DUI.

Getting in late from work last night, I got showered then heard two very loud bangs outside. The wife thought something wasn't right so I checked on the kids first, then went to take a look outside.

Opened the side door & saw my truck didn't look like it was in the same place that I had left it when I parked. My neighbor saw me come out and said someone had hit my faithful and wonderful truck, and that the driver was parked at a stop sign about 150 yards away. I went hauling a$$ down the street to get a tag number and description of his vehicle, which I did. Called 911 as the bastard was starting to pull away but his front passenger side wheel was smashed into his frame holding him up.

The City's 'finest' showed up damn quick as another neighbor was able to wrestle his keys away. Field sobriety check was 2x the legal limit for VA, he was underage too. They cuffed him and he had auto coverage with the 'lizard company'.

A couple pics. Open to suggestions. I am concerned with a total loss. The door is severely mangled, looks like the control arm is bent as the truck was lifted up onto the neighbor's grass. Bent frame? Note the DUI driver's passenger side mirror left behind.

The 'good' part (if there is one),... I had gotten out of the vehicle about 30 minutes before this happened and it could have been me stepping out and getting badly hurt.

xlaxx

Last edited by Tofer; 05-31-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Woah, that REALLY sucks, dude! First and foremost, I'm glad that nobody got hurt. That's an excellent looking truck. Good luck fighting with insurance!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

I would'nt worry about total loss... if you have a good adjuster who knows what the real value of our trucks is... looks like only "cosmetic" damage... fender/door etc. the frames are pretty solid and can take a lot of abuse before bending... doubt you'd need a control arm... an alignment def. ... maybe some steering components...
You gotta love spring/prom season all the little drunken punks come out to "play"...

Hope you get a "good result" in the end..
Old 05-28-2011, 09:19 AM

I totally baby this truck.
Just put new shocks, headlights, leafs, exhaust, and Alpine system in it. Oil changes every 3K with BG MOA, all maintained by dealer with records. A lot of life left in her for sure. Really bummed about it,...
Old 05-28-2011, 09:44 AM

wow man, that sucks bad...

sorry about your truck, i'd be livid if i were you, hope the insurance does you right. its a beautiful truck, and it looks very well maintained.

glad no one was hurt though, thats the biggie
Old 05-28-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, glad you're not hurt. Second, did you part with your tires turned towards the curb, or did he break steering parts? Third, at least you have "trophies" from his car
Old 05-28-2011, 10:14 AM

That's a very clean truck. Hope that kid gets what he deserves!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:15 AM

dang, looks like u took really good care of ur truck it looks like new ! well it did sorry . hopefully sumthin good will come out of it !
Old 05-28-2011, 10:32 AM

This truck is very clean and I am just heartbroken about it. Spoke with my mechanic today at the dealership (have his cell #),...he is the only one that works on it (ever) and he was VERY upset too hearing my vm. He recommended a collision shop for me to take it to that did nice work on his mother's vehicle.

The tires were pointed forward and I was trying to see any broken parts but am not sure quite where to look. I am concerned about the door,... that thing has got to be hard to find given the vent window for the DeluxCab model.

I am hopeful with aviator that it is just cosmetics. My mechanic said the same thing though,... he said people don't understand how valuable these trucks are and how they run given what you pay for trucks these days. A salesperson said to me at the last oil change,..."They don't make trucks like this one, anymore." How true.

Any thoughts on how I can influence the adjuster to make things right and get the most out of the repair and/or loss?

Thanks for all the comments.

xlaxx
Old 05-28-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
even if they do "tatal" it, u should have the option to buy it back.... usually, I'd prefer a total loss... the adjusters figure the cost of repairs at a shop, versus value of the vehicle... if the value is less than the damage, they pay you "fair market value" then u have the option to buy it back with salvage title, usually for $200-400. I have done this with a couple vehicles, and if you dont have to pay for labor ( I do all my own work) You can actually have some of that insurance check left over, to put some new mods into it....
Plus... then the 1st scratch is outta the way, and you can really start to enjoy the rig
Old 05-28-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
so we don't have to click on em.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 05-28-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:31 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Did you shoot him? You should have. That is a very nice truck. I would fix it if it took me 15 years to find the parts. Good luck and Im sorry about your truck.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:59 PM

looks like you just need a door and a fender your lucky your cabs not messed up
Old 05-28-2011, 03:59 PM

kinda looks like the wheel/steering is a little tweaked too. Hard to tell.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Ya that sucks:deal

I really don't think it is that bad though.

May be tough getting the insurance to pay, but most the parts are out there.
The equation is; how much time and $$ spent getting parts minus what they give you = how much you will spend/ make

What it comes down to is, you want it back to "the way it was".
They will offer "good enough" is what somewhere between is what you will get.

Repo
Old 05-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Sin

YES it's a total loss, sell it to me for $500 dollars! just kidding

It doesn't look bad at all, replace the tail light, fender liner, mud guard, fender and door / repair the cab and bed side and paint the hood for a blend panel. The hardest replacement part to find will be the door graphics and making the color match...imo Just make sure the repair shop you choose has a warranty, where I work we have a lifetime warranty on anything we fixed, so long as you own your vehicle.

Glad your okay, trucks are replaceable - people aren't!
Old 05-28-2011, 05:35 PM

Couple more pics of her tonight,... freaking damn shame.

Spoke to the insurance company tonight,...driver admitted fault but the agent wanted to know about all the damages. Just from my description, she said it was a 'potential' total loss.

xxxtreme22r- Thanks for uploading the pics for me again,... I am rough with photobucket but got it figured out now!

fdp101452- kind of funny you mention 'shooting' because it almost got to that. The driver got out of his vehicle because there was a scuffle for his keys. He started walking towards me and my house to retrieve his keys and I reached for my Ruger .45 inside my home that I fled to. All hell broke loose when I told the 911 dispatcher that I was armed and was going to protect my family and property if he got close to us. I kid you not,... 8 cruisers rolled up in like 1 minute. I was 'patted down' but afterward they said I did the right thing. It was pretty crazy at 1:30am.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:36 PM

Bad news,... broken shock mount and bent control arm. She had a hard time being pulled up on the rollback. Oh ya,... Homer-T Towing Guy yanked the parking brake so hard he busted the linkage. I was pretty pissed and in a foul mood afterward.

Drove down to the body shop,...know the owner. He said bend over and take it in the a$$ from the lizard dude. He says "The truck is in pristine condition and get what you can, because I really don't want to work on it, but we'll see!"

I know you all love pics, here are a few. Felt like I lost my best friend when she rolled away today.

How about that freshly painted skid plate huh?,... took really good care of this truck. New Ranchos too.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:52 PM

lower control arm, easy fix, SAS guys will have one for ya on here. Shocks, bah they are probably ok. I mean they broke the mount. Doors are pretty cheap too if you ask me. Cab dent shouldn't be too expensive to fix either. That bed dent appears like it isn't bad at all and should be left as is as long as it doesn't pose a major rust risk. Think battle damage here.

Any body shop I take it too that says get what you can for it I don't want to work on it, that truck would be out of that shop so fast it's not even funny knowing the owner or not. Find one willing to do the work on it and it won't cost as much to fix it. The body shop because he doesn't want to work on it will be quoted higher in price so he doesn't have to. Don't take the DUI's first insurance quote either.

Parking brake cable? well, that's the towing guys fault make them pay to fix it.

If the CA is bent I am almost 100% certain the wheel is bent too.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 05-31-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:53 PM

Good luck with the insurance company. I was sideswiped in the snow with my 94 2wd. It wasnt nearly as clean as your truck but my fender was smashed and so was the door and part of the cab. Insurance gave me $200 to fix it, and was deemd "totaled".

Quick Reply: Redneck Parking,... nope, a DUI.