Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear window problems on 1990 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window problems on 1990 4Runner

Help! I know someone out there has fixed this problem....
My 90 4runner rear window doesn't go down when using the key or the console switch. It works occasionally only after repeated pressing of the console switch. It seems very random when it does work. When it does work, it goes up fine. I can hear the relay in the up and down positions. I tried looking for the ground in the gate, but I cannot find it. ANy suggestions?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
id take the access pannel off and take a look inside to see if there are any obious problems.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Rear Window logic

Originally Posted by surferfrank
Help! I know someone out there has fixed this problem....
My 90 4runner rear window doesn't go down when using the key or the console switch. It works occasionally only after repeated pressing of the console switch. It seems very random when it does work. When it does work, it goes up fine. I can hear the relay in the up and down positions. I tried looking for the ground in the gate, but I cannot find it. ANy suggestions?
It would be helpful to have the wiring logic/diagram.

Apparently the motor, when it is activtated, seems strong. Still possibly a motor problem, but not likely.

Since both switches pretty much behave the same way, that leaves the relay and any lock-out logic. Seems to me that there must be logic to say: Ignore the switches, I'm in the tailgate down position...etc. That switch/sensor may be working intermittently.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
very well, good luck

large version
http://www.snjschmidt.com/wiring/rea...wer_window.jpg
page 2
http://www.snjschmidt.com/wiring/rea...r_window_2.jpg
page 3
http://www.snjschmidt.com/wiring/rea...r_window_3.jpg

Last edited by snap-on; 05-31-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by snap-on
very well, good luck
Nice post. That should help surfer to figure out his problem.

Based on your diagrams, there are several things that can lock out the window up/down switches. At a guess, the wiper is probably the most likely. The logic is that if the wiper is not fully retracted, you can't move the window. Pretty logical.. Since the wiper gets the most use, I'd check that that switch is fully closed. Since its intermittent, you could try to seat the wiper while closing the key window switch.

Same with door closed/open logic.

Somewhere there is a micro-switch which says..."don't move that window".
Old 05-31-2006, 03:04 PM

reply to all help

Thanks for all the quick responses... I scoured the forum looking for an easy fix, but I may have to troubleshoot further. I'll look into the lock out switch direction. The wiring diagram looks kind of complicated to me. I don't really know where all these switches are located.

In one of the responses, do you think the relay has anything to do with the problem? The motor seems strong enough when it is working. The relay clicks in up and down positions. I found the relay on the rear drivers side.

Last edited by surferfrank; 05-31-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

so, has anyone figured out a solution to this dilema? i replaced my old motor because the gear was worn out, the newer motor worked great until tuesday. i put the window down on the way home from work, closed it before going in the house and come wednesday, the window does not open.

i really would like to know what to do to fix this, wiring is another language for me. ive read up on rogers site but i have no idea where to go from here. a tried and tested fix for this would be greatly appreciated.

lee
Old 06-01-2006, 11:23 PM

On my 84 the back window does not work unless I lean hard with my left hand in the upper left corner of the gate. Doing that completes a circuit that tells the rig the back door is shut. Works great.

Worth trying.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:36 AM

rear window problems

Here's an update on my rear window problem.
I opened the rear gate hatch and inspected all the connections. They looked good. I sprayed some electrical connection cleaner on one "relay"( it's a small black box with a spring arm and wheel on one of the armatures). I locked out both sides of the gate and the window worked both up and down everytime I keyed the switch. After I put everything back together, the window started to malfunction again. Only in the down direction. Once again, it takes numerous attempts with the console switch to bring the window down. It seems extremely random as if some contact is barely touching somewhere. I'm going to try the contact cleaner again to see if it does some good.
Hope this update helps my fellow Yota mates. Maybe you guys will have some luck.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:51 PM

rear window problem

Hi I have a 1990 4 runner that works quite well, except the rear window does not want to go down with the key. It will go up with the key and it will go both up and down using the switch on the console. I have assumed it must be the keyed switch that has malfunctioned but after doing some reading here, I am not so sure. Anybody care to take a stab at this?

thanks Ben

By the way, my 90 runner only has 24k on the motor
Old 08-15-2006, 05:58 PM

window

check the links to the same problem... I found the problem in the relays. See the diagram which one it is or replace all four. Radio Shack sells them for about 5 dollars. I tried everything and the relay replacement fixed it.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:03 PM

here's the link to the relay fix. I had the same problem. It is the relay for sure.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/94-rnnr-rr-windw-problms-help-82330/

good luck
Old 08-15-2006, 06:04 PM

Thanks surferfrank! I was dreading buying an 89 dollar switch from Toyota! Yeah you are probably right, I can here the relay click when going up but not when going down.

thanks a Bunch!

Ben
Old 04-16-2013, 06:13 PM

I have a 90' 4runner with a 22re and Manual. I was re-wiring the back window Modulator and like an idiot I didn't disconnect the battery. Some wiring touched and sparked. Now it won't start. Checked all my fuses they are good. Checked the Alternator, Starter, Battery and they are good too. Even check my starter relay and that is good. The last thing I can think it could be is the ignition switch, but it clicks when I try to start it. So doubt it that. When I turn the key to start the volts meter go way down. Please Help!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 PM

main fuse
Old 04-16-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Richard
main fuse
If you are referring to the black 80amp fuse in the fuse box I already checked it. Can't think of any another main fuse. If this was blown nothing would come on at all. It still push starts.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:11 PM

Ive had rear window problems as long as ive had my mine(2years), ive replaced the circuit board twice that was a temp fix, i replaced the relays on both circuit boards twice that was a temp fix, i took the console switch apart that didnt do anything. Then yesterday i went and picked up a used camry drivers side motor(exact same motor, different plug, 2 minute modification) and bam windows fixed and reliable again, its also abit faster. I always thought my motor was fine because sometimes it worked, i figured if it works sometimes the motor is still fine and the relays are causing the problem but that wasnt so. Go pick up a used 87-90 drivers side window motor and fix it!! Takes 5 mins to replace motor and plug. Btw my motor was $40 with a regulator but i dont need the regulator
Old 07-29-2013, 06:15 AM
DRM

I picked up a 1990 4Runner a few months back and the rear window is dead - switch or key. Should I assume motor? I've never been into the 90+ rear gate, so not sure what to expect. Guess I get to crawl back there and pull the trim cover and see what I can see.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by surferfrank
check the links to the same problem... I found the problem in the relays. See the diagram which one it is or replace all four. Radio Shack sells them for about 5 dollars. I tried everything and the relay replacement fixed it.
does anybody know if these 4 relays are found in the tailgate behind the rear panel ? and are they easy to get to ? thanks.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigmuddy
Hi I have a 1990 4 runner that works quite well, except the rear window does not want to go down with the key. It will go up with the key and it will go both up and down using the switch on the console. I have assumed it must be the keyed switch that has malfunctioned but after doing some reading here, I am not so sure. Anybody care to take a stab at this?

thanks Ben

By the way, my 90 runner only has 24k on the motor
this is the same problem i'm having.

Quick Reply: Rear window problems on 1990 4Runner