86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 Rnnr rr windw problms. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 Rnnr rr windw problms. HELP

I have a 94 4runner 2wd with a puzzle. Hope someone can help me.
My rear window decided to stop working. I got a click when pushing up, wether on the console or the rear door key switches, but no sound when pushing down.
I bought a control relay box, used, and replaced the original one. It did not solve the problem. I then pulled the motor out and tested it with direct patch wires to the battery. It works both directions. I pugged it back in, not mounted though, to see if I shocked it into unfreezing, a wishful thought. But all I would get with the newer control unit is a click in the unit, both up and down. I then put the original unit back in and was able to get the motor to move in the up motion but not down. And there is no click noise from the unit when you press down, like in the one I purchased to replace it with.
I plugged my voltage tester into the motor plug and with both the control units there is full voltage on the up switch but nothing on the down. Although there is a click from the replacement unit when up and down is pushed, no down click from the og unit. WHAT????
So, I tested both units and they both have voltage on the up position but not on the down position. And the original moves the motor in the up direction but the replacement one does not, even thought they both give the same voltage for up .
HELP!!! I tested the motor. What else could be stopping the voltage???????
Old 03-30-2006, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the grounds. Many have complained of the grounds being corroded and not making good contact.

Mike in AR
Old 03-30-2006, 02:05 PM

What grounds should I be looking at?
Where is the best place to find switches?
Can the console switch work separate from the rear door key switch? Like if one is bad, does it effect the other?
I patched the motor directly to the battery and it moved both ways.
I am freaking out. I need to get this done last week.
Thank you for any and all help.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:54 PM

Grounds in the rear gate. I had a piece of weather stip loose on the bottom side of the gate. It was letting some moisture splash up into the bottom. I fixed the weather strip. I concurrently had gunk in the console switch. I sprayed it liberally with electric contact cleaner I bought at Radio Shack. Actually, I don't know which solution was the fix, because I did both at the same time. I've had no problems since then.

When the console switch wouldn't work, I could still get the window up and down with the key switch in the gate. I still think moisture was partly to blame. It's a long run back to the gate from the console switch. If the ground in the gate was partially bad,, the switch might not have been passing enough juice to overcome the lack of a good ground.

Mike in AR
Old 03-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Hi,

I tore my control unit apart last year, burned out some stuff with a too-hot, too-long soldering iron, replaced the relays with some junk from Radio Shack, NOT using the circuit board anymore (except for the windshield wiper part) and am happier with it now than before. Oh yeah, and I found my problem, too. I'll help out as much as I can.

Originally Posted by Greenbush
Can the console switch work separate from the rear door key switch? Like if one is bad, does it effect the other?
If memory serves me correctly, They work independantly. There are like 4 or 6 relays on the board, a set for up and down depending on which switch (key or console) is used.

I patched the motor directly to the battery and it moved both ways.
And you also say both control units are making clicking sounds, so that means the relays are moving. The lack of a clicking sound in one direction, to me, means that relay is not as noisy, especially since neither unit is working.

I bet it's NOT the control unit. I bet it's the wiring. Check all the wires going from the control unit to the motor. I bet you have a broken wire, like I did. They are pretty tiny, and can be broken (not carrying current) even if they aren't broken with loose ends.

PM me with your email addy and I'll send you a wiring diagram

Last edited by Injohneer; 03-30-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:56 AM

Timely post! the rear window on my '93 randomly went down on me last night while the truck was shut off (sometime over night). haven't gotten it fixed yet but it looks like a short is causing the motor to recieve continuous voltage, pulling the window down constantly. the window motor was pretty hot by the time i got to it. had to cut the wires to the motor and switch them around long enough to get the window back up before unplugging it. Keep me up to date on your progress, it could be a big help in tracing the short! good luck
Old 03-31-2006, 10:54 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4Crawler has an extensive section in "Cheap Tricks" about the 4Runner rear window
Old 04-11-2006, 12:38 AM

Mine goes up but will not role down i hear the same click in up position but not down Let me know if you found the problem
Old 05-31-2006, 08:44 AM

rear window problems

Help!... I seem to have the same problem as your first post. My relay clicks in the up and down position, but the window doesn't move. It will work very randomly after a few minutes of using the console switch. ANy suggestions? I don't know where the ground is located in the gate.

thanks
Old 06-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

so, has anyone figured out a solution to this dilema? i replaced my old motor because the gear was worn out, the newer motor worked great until tuesday. i put the window down on the way home from work, closed it before going in the house and come wednesday, the window does not open.

i really would like to know what to do to fix this, wiring is another language for me. ive read up on rogers site but i have no idea where to go from here. a tried and tested fix for this would be greatly appreciated.

lee

ps

this is copied from the other post about rr window, i would really like to fix this! talk about a PITA!!

thanks
Old 06-02-2006, 09:32 AM

Rear window

Here's an update on my rear window problem.
I opened the rear gate hatch and inspected all the connections. They looked good. I sprayed some electrical connection cleaner on one "relay"( it's a small black box with a spring arm and wheel on one of the armatures). I locked out both sides of the gate and the window worked both up and down everytime I keyed the switch. After I put everything back together, the window started to malfunction again. Only in the down direction. Once again, it takes numerous attempts with the console switch to bring the window down. It seems extremely random as if some contact is barely touching somewhere. I'm going to try the contact cleaner again to see if it does some good.
Hope this update helps my fellow Yota mates. Maybe you guys will have some luck.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:51 PM

Mebbe your lockouts on the gate are a little bit screwy, since it seemed to work better when you manually locked them.

Mike in AR
Old 06-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

update on my issues with the rear window, i pulled the carpet cover etc off and manually dropped the glass. pulled the interior panel and other assorted bits to get at the relays and tested them. everthing seemed to work according to the meter. i decided to redo the connections as the p/o had cut out the male part of the connector for some reason.

tinned the wires, crimped on some new connectors, taped them up, reinstalled the motor and cycled it 4-5 times. seems to be working as it should, the new motor really moves that glass! ill give it a few days and report back. in my case, it appears that the spliced connections were the culprit.

lee
Old 06-03-2006, 10:39 AM

Rear window

Update again
After cleaning the contacts again and buttoning everything up the window doesn't go down. It worked when I locked out the gate manually. It could be the lockouts.
Question: Where is the ground connection for the gate? I haven't found anything that looks like the ground. It definitely looks rusty inside, so that may be the problem.

Question #2: How do you remove the motor? I would like to test it.

thanks again for the assistance. This is giving me a big headache. I'm ready to sell the thing as is....
Old 06-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

there are three bolts that hold the motor in place, they are towards the inside of the gate. an 8mm ratchet wrench is the best thing to get them out with. once you get all the covers etc off, carefully reach in behind the motor to locate these bolts. looking at the motor, imagine a clock face, there should be a bolt @ 12, 3 & 6 o'clock locations.

unless your motor is hardwired in, you should be able to disconnect the plug and apply 12v directly to the prongs. one way will give you clockwise and the other counter clockwise rotation.

keep us posted.

lee
Old 06-07-2006, 10:05 PM

Solved my problem.

Okay!!! After ripping everything apart and buying a control unit and spending hours on the internet looking for a motor, or info, or whatever.
I found my problem..........long pause and a drum roll.

It was my wiper sensor. The wiper had gotten shut in the rear window a while ago and I didn't think anything of it. I straightened it back into place, thinking that was it.
Well, apparently when it got closed in the window it set off some kind of alarm switch. So, I went down to day and wiggled the wiper and the turned the wiper on. It worked and then went back into it's position. I guess this
reset the alarm and then my window motor worked in both directions.
What a PITA!!!!!!!
Hope this can help someone.
Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Greenbush; 06-07-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:12 PM

Okay!!! After ripping everything apart and buying a control unit and spending hours on the internet looking for a motor, or info, or whatever.
I found my problem..........long pause and a drum roll.

It was my wiper sensor. The wiper had gotten shut in the rear window a while ago and I didn't think anything of it. I straightened it back into place, thinking that was it.
Well, apparently when it got closed in the window it set off some kind of alarm switch. So, I went down to day and wiggled the wiper and the turned the wiper on. It worked and then went back into it's position. I guess this
reset the alarm and then my window motor worked in both directions.
What a PITA!!!!!!!
Hope this can help someone.
Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!
I went through almost the exact same thing about two weeks ago-- sorry I didn't see this earlier, or I would have helped out!
Old 06-07-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So that could have probably solved all my problems. Another great way to fix it: Sell your truck!
Old 06-08-2006, 07:13 AM

rear window

Update:
After an lengthy troubleshoot with a meter, I found the problem was on the relay card. The relay would click in both directions, but shaking or tapping the relay would make the window work. I plan to change out the relays on the card and see if that does the trick. Looks like I may keep the truck afterall.

More to follow...
Old 06-08-2006, 04:34 PM

Success!

Success!

After troubleshooting the relay as the culprit, I found the link to "crawler's" solution. I bought one relay at Radio Shack - Part #275-005 A . The relay in question was the 3rd one from the wire connection. After de-soldering and soldering on the new relay, the window works perfectly!
I was not looking at the relay earlier simply because I heard the relays click in the up and down positions.
Thank you for all your help. This forum has helped me a great deal.
I'm keeping the 4Runner afterall!

Frank

Quick Reply: 94 Rnnr rr windw problms. HELP