Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

rear leaf bushing trouble... cannot find some that work!

Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear leaf bushing trouble... cannot find some that work!

So, here is my dillema. Each of my springs resembled letters of the alphabet. So needless to say it was time to change. Im basically doing a frame off resto on this truck so the leafs were coming off anyways. Keep in mind, im from new england, so everything is frozen, or rotted, or both.

My problem is my stock shackles are junk. I got a set of 2'' lift rear springs (basically levels out the truck, with a slight rake), but they had no bushing sleeves. The ID of the bushing is 18mm, give or take. The factory bolt has the built in bushing sleeve/stop (obviously we've all seen them), and the bolt looks to be about 14mm ish. I made a set of shackles, but i cant find a set of bushing sleeves or greaseable bolts anywhere!!! greasable is a must, just because of the climate and salt there, id rather pump it with grease at every oil change then take them out and re-grease them.

Does anyone have a place to get new sleeves and greasable bolts, even if it comes with bushings? the bushings are the same size as stock, there rancho leafs i beleive, if that helps. I've talked to a bunch of the larger few companys (no names will be mentioned...) and they all say i need to buy a full shackle kit, but i just feel like i would be wasting my money as none of them are for stock height/lenth shackles.

any ideas??
Old 09-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shackles.shtml
Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You can order the bushings from marlin crawler, i just ordered some for my 4Runner.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:22 AM

buck87, thanks, i actually looked at that site. i need the bushing sleeves too tho. i already made the shackles, they do have the correct bolts tho, an they are greaseable, i must have missed that.
]
and myyota, i taled to marlin, they sent me 6 of the wrong sized bolts. the package got torn open and everything just just kind of tossed in there... so i lost a few, but they are replacing them for free. i asked about the bushings too but they said they didnt carry them? ill have to give em a call again
Old 09-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

Are your existing bushings urethane? If not now might be a good time to up grade with some new ones from energy systems. Can you make sleeves out of 9/16" id steel tubing?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jgood
So, here is my dillema. Each of my springs resembled letters of the alphabet. So needless to say it was time to change. Im basically doing a frame off resto on this truck so the leafs were coming off anyways. Keep in mind, im from new england, so everything is frozen, or rotted, or both.

My problem is my stock shackles are junk. I got a set of 2'' lift rear springs (basically levels out the truck, with a slight rake), but they had no bushing sleeves. The ID of the bushing is 18mm, give or take. The factory bolt has the built in bushing sleeve/stop (obviously we've all seen them), and the bolt looks to be about 14mm ish. I made a set of shackles, but i cant find a set of bushing sleeves or greaseable bolts anywhere!!! greasable is a must, just because of the climate and salt there, id rather pump it with grease at every oil change then take them out and re-grease them.

Does anyone have a place to get new sleeves and greasable bolts, even if it comes with bushings? the bushings are the same size as stock, there rancho leafs i beleive, if that helps. I've talked to a bunch of the larger few companys (no names will be mentioned...) and they all say i need to buy a full shackle kit, but i just feel like i would be wasting my money as none of them are for stock height/lenth shackles.

any ideas??
Marlin Crawler sells 18mm greasable bolts. I have them on mine great product and good people.

The factory bolt is 14mm

I have OME rear leaf springs (medium) with over center rear shackles, and bushings. Soon to have OME 23.4mm torsion bars. Basically all stock replacement plus. Wheelers Offroad talk to Dan.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 PM

The leafs i have, have poly bushings in them but no sleeves. The ID od the sleeve hole in the middle is 18mm. the greasable bolts i got from marlin are all 18mm. Thus meaning no room for a sleeve.

I know you technically dont need a bushing... but this bolt doesnt have a raised lip or stop to keep from overtighening. Without a sleeve there really isn't much of a need for the greaseable part of the bolt anyways.

Im looking, basically, for 14mm greaseable bolts, 6 of them. 6 18mm od/14mm id sleeves, and frame shackle mount bushings.

ill get energy a ring tomorrow prob.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

On advice from a very knowledgeable member I used nylon locking nuts and tightened my urethane bushings down until they started to squeeze. No overtightened no bushing sleeve (simple). The greasable bolt is still a good thing even with out the sleeves. IMO
I wonder if having a sleeve is necessary or just one more part to maintain and protect from rust and wear and tear. Also wouldn't using a smaller diameter bolt be less strong or are the shackles not a common failure point? Just wondering.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Greaseable bolts are for articulation, thats why they are 18mm. You will not find a 14mm greasable, you have to make it yourself, on a lathe. then you need a drill fixture for the side holes in a drill press. Yes; it is much weaker but for street use it should be fine. I drilled my frame flanges out for the 18mm bolts and used locking nuts. Must be 3k street miles or more and not a hint of trouble. You simply do not need a sleeve, that was my big hangup in solving my suspention issues. I drive in a lot of road salt too and a pressure washer fed with hot water is your best friend, along with bed liner. YMMV
Old 09-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Because I have to drive 3-4 hours to reach the snow, I assume that all rigs are built-up to be used off road. If your pressure washer is water cooled be carefull using hot water because I have been told that it can burn up.

Last edited by Buck87; 09-23-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:28 AM

yes, buck87, im a very expirienced fabricator...not the smatest as ive been on jeeps for the last 8 years, but thats over now as you can tell. I always found myself using the sleeves with leafs, just because i like the fact that it crushes againt the mount and keeps the bolt from being able to move. Up where i am in new england stuff gets rusty. When not using a sleeve i have had the holes wallow out, and that bring a whole new pain in the ass into the equation. Maybe i will just give it a shot and see. I can always weld a washer in afterwards if they wallow out.

And true, a smaller bolt will be weaker... but im not running the baja 1000, im running the DD50... on 31 inch BFG all terrains, strength wont b a huge issue. As i said before, id like to just have a greasable bolt to keep out rust. I've had sleeves seize on bolts after 1 winter wen using never seize or grease upon install.

I would make my own, as i have a lathe, but i dont have the time. Im writing this from my shop computer on lunch break! I dont have 2 hours to go make sleeves and bushings and luber bolts. I figurd i wouldn't be the first to have this problem, so i would toss it up and hope for a quick easy link, no dice, its all good tho, time to go throw this rear end back together!

ps, this is my dd, my solid axle clusher˟˟˟˟ is my wheeler, this wont see any more then sandpit duty to get to the mx track, and dirt roads to get the the downhill trails