86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

real dual exhaust on a 3vz

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
real dual exhaust on a 3vz

ive been think what a dual exhaust with headers would preform on a 3vz. i know you would lose alot of back pressure in which will create the lost of torque. So i was think you could put an X pipe in between all that. you guys think its a good idea?? i wanna here some feed back on this if you could! ill try to draw up a pic soon.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You'll have an issue with the O2 sensor. It will only be reading from 3 cylinders. Even mounted at the crossover you might not get correct readings.

But if you can overcome that, you might be on to something.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elvota
You'll have an issue with the O2 sensor. It will only be reading from 3 cylinders. Even mounted at the crossover you might not get correct readings.

But if you can overcome that, you might be on to something.
I actualy talked to a muffler guy and it doesnt matter if it only goes off three cylinders. the comp doesnt know any better if you know what i mean.

I would stay with just the headers and single exhaust. doing dual will be a pain in the ass and not really worth it. Plus its the 3.0 so really youll see a bit more power but not much either way you look at it the motor just isnt going to be a power house. Again ide stay single and put some headers on and youd be good and it would be easier all the way around
Old 12-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Perhaps if you went duel 1.25" exhaust, but that would be pushing it. Stick with a single
Old 12-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned

I made the mistake of putting too much effort and money into my exhaust. should have put it all toward a swap.
Single cat back and no on the headers. Save your money for a swap or put it elsewhere on the truck...tires, wheels, susp. etc. No way would I put a single dollar into headers again.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF you do true duals, make sure to come off the headers with an X pipe to 1.5 or 2 inch pipe, into TWO mufflers and then to tips, personally dual exhaust on a V6 sounds like a popcorn fart, no matter what muffler you use, I prefer using a single 2 1/4 inch pipe with one muffler. Sounds better. Performs better.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:17 PM

If I still had my 3.0 truck, I think I would put some effort into copying what was done with the 3.4 factory exhaust. Would not be easy but likely doable. I had considered picking up a 3.4 pipe and modify it to fit the 3.0. I think that would be easier. Then with pipe in place you could run a 2 1/4 back with free flow replacement cat and Magnaflow muffler. I think that would sound great and flow really well. I hear reports that headers generate too much under-hood heat and melt things.

My $0.02
Old 12-29-2007, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like a waste of time and/or $$$

have you ever tried to polish a turd?

save for your next headgasket/waterpump/timing belt/random ticking noise
Old 12-29-2007, 08:17 PM

shoes, i thought of that exact same ideal when doing my exhaust but there is limited space for one, and the expense is to much for me cause you will need two cats and two mufflers unless you use dual inlet. and outlets on both. but i see no reason why it wouldnt work if you have the space for it all. i say if you want to do it go for it. let us know how well it works.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
IF you do true duals, make sure to come off the headers with an X pipe to 1.5 or 2 inch pipe, into TWO mufflers and then to tips, personally dual exhaust on a V6 sounds like a popcorn fart, no matter what muffler you use, I prefer using a single 2 1/4 inch pipe with one muffler. Sounds better. Performs better.
[beavis & butthead voice] hehe, hehehe, he said popcorn fart, heeheehee [/beavis & butthead voice]
Old 12-30-2007, 01:15 AM

all great points! here is a picture of how i was thinking of doing it! and i have a flowmaster on my 3.0 and it sounds awesome! but i never heard a v6 with dual exhaust. i would imagine a little less beefy than a v8. but i would definatly hafta go to a smaller pipe!

I really never heard the headers makeing more heat.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SEAIRESCUE
I hear reports that headers generate too much under-hood heat and melt things.
thats the opposite of what happens.
HEADERs keep the engine bay cooler. in all cars/trucks.

compared to a manifold (which is a huge block of iron) headers will heat up faster, but also stay cooler, and in a smaller space.

however, if the pipes are not measured or (close to ) even in length, there will be some issues.
and the install is sometimes botched by poor mechanics who dont clean up the mating surfaces or use new bolts/anti-seize+ locktite in the proper places.

one of the best increases in raw power is to port match your exhaust ports into your header/manifold.

simply use your old gaskets as templates to match up the holes evenly and smoothly. it wont be more than 3-5hp but its a free 3-5 hp.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Looks cool but any power gain you might see would be canceled out with the weight of the extra muffler and piping.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...t-torque-loss/
Old 12-30-2007, 09:22 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
shoes - your design may as well ewliminate the cost/complexity of the extra muffler and tailpipe. The flow will be limited by what can pass through the cat, and you have all the pulse interactions. A big point of doing duals with a crossover is to allow the pressure pulses to balance out, achieving a steadier/constant flow instead of a bunch of pulses. This is where headers help a lot by adjusting the length of the tubing, they time the pulses to hit the collector in sequence instead of on top of one another.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:18 AM

if your going to do it use the x pipe at and for the o2 sensor only and split the exhaust from there. use two cats and mufflers. that would still be true duals.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will not necessarily lose torque, you will shift it upwards in the rpm band which will increase power. Now if you shift it higher than the engine can rev, that's another story, you would in that case lose torque and power.

Be sure to open up the intake at the same time. You need to get their air in and out of the engine.

Also, to see the max benefits of better breathing, cams and a timing advance will likely be a good idea. The engine is a system so you need to look at all the parts that impact the modification's goal which is more power achieved through more torque at a higher rpm. (power=torqueXrpm)

If you get a good amount of punch when revving high, lower gearing will compliment that torque profile nicely and you will have a much quicker vehicle.

Since the gas tank is in the way on the passenger side, I'd suggest a good crossover section, high flow cat, and larger diameter single exhaust. You could do dual tips for looks if you want but I don't think that far down the pipe it's going to make much of a difference in performance.

Frank