Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Race Muffler!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Race Muffler!

I will be re doing my exhaust soon and will have a header, then about two foot of 2.25" pipe, into some sort of muffler and out my bedside... I want this to be as obnoxiously loud as possible, now I am aware that that annoys people, But I live in a town of straight piped chevy pickups and ricers, so whats it matter... Anyways I was thinking of getting the IMCO (Cherry Bomb) Extreme Race muffler, its about a foot long and single chambered, I have no clue how this would sound on my little 22R.. I have an idea of what a glasspack sounds like, If I went with a glasspack would I need a shorter one or longer one to create the popping noises associated with them when I let off the throttle or downshift to a higher rpm? Its between those two mufflers, or just getting another Dynomax Super Turbo like I already have, I love the tone, but its just not loud enough.

Oh, and I know Jay351 and Algranger run glasspacks, any input on that? Oh, and Algranger if you read this, hows that IMCO muffler sound on your buddies Mighty Max?
Old 06-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If you were to run a glasspack, you would want a pretty short one, that will be the loudest.

Im sure if you went that route that thing would be damn loud!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from my experience the smaller the exhaust the louder the sound. ever hear a straight piped 97 tercel? step down to like 1 1.5 with the glass pack and then step up to a larger chrome tube. it will sound rediculous but i think thats what you are going for. similar setup on an ice racer here for laughs.

hey jay how loud is your truck? any thoughts on going with downys headers?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:14 PM

you could just make it into a duel exhaust with strait pipes. that would be practical and it would be ridicuolously loud. just don't plan on having to many long conversations in the truck. I have a old school cherry bomb on my pu. I didn't want it to be way to loud so it's pretty long but it has a really nice tone. I had it with just a strait pipe for a couple of weeks that was pretty loud though. But i don't have duel and i had it cut of at the catalatic converter which is hollow.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shancerlelby
from my experience the smaller the exhaust the louder the sound. ever hear a straight piped 97 tercel? step down to like 1 1.5 with the glass pack and then step up to a larger chrome tube. it will sound rediculous but i think thats what you are going for. similar setup on an ice racer here for laughs.

hey jay how loud is your truck? any thoughts on going with downys headers?
My truck is pretty loud. I have some ollllld clips up on youtube from when I first got my exhaust made. When I go through the town center and im on it it reverberates for a few blocks, haha.

My thoughts on downey headers? I wouldnt go with them, most of the people I hear from who have gotten them say they are pretty low quality. Apperantly they don't always fit right, leak and the EGR equipment is sometimes hard to hook back up.

Originally Posted by lotalucas
you could just make it into a duel exhaust with strait pipes. that would be practical and it would be ridicuolously loud. just don't plan on having to many long conversations in the truck. I have a old school cherry bomb on my pu. I didn't want it to be way to loud so it's pretty long but it has a really nice tone. I had it with just a strait pipe for a couple of weeks that was pretty loud though. But i don't have duel and i had it cut of at the catalatic converter which is hollow.

Duels are kind of pointless on a 22r... Unless you went duel 1" pipes
Old 06-21-2008, 04:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cut the downpipe ahead of where the two pipes siamese and extend the two pipes back and 1 out each side and maybe a 12" x 1 7/8" glasspack on each.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Banned

Yeah, but I dont have a siamesed downpipe on the header I just ordered.. I think I'm gonna do the Cherry Bomb Xtreme, 2.25" pipe, and a 3-4" tip sticking out of a 4-5" hole in the side of the bed.. If It ain't loud enough, I just wont have a muffler, I already don't have a catalatyic converter..
Old 06-21-2008, 09:37 AM

i have a 3.0 with a high-flow cat and a glasspack and i get complements on how good it sounds for a v-6 all the time. i can imagine with a header and no cat on your 22-re it would "pop" and "bubble" alot considering mine does everytime i down shift.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:31 AM

i ran open head for a lil bit about 5 miles with the hood off and my god was it loud!!!!!!! but then again i didnt have any back pressure so it was slow and loud so what ever you go with make sure theres some back pressure there

ie..... header to 1.25-1.5in pipe to the side thats it loud poping and flame shootin alarm go offer kinda monster there man!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i get a nice poping sound on decell with my setup it sounds louder when its sticking out the side of the bed as well.