Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Question with 2wd starter Vs. 4wd starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question with 2wd starter Vs. 4wd starter

Hey Guys!
I'm a newbie here and bought my first 4runner several weeks ago. WooHOO! Its a 1995 V6 4 wheel drive. Bought it for cheep because it needs some work including a new starter.

Got a question on the starters for these older 4runners. There seems to be a starter for the 2wd models and a different one for the 4wd models. Is there any difference between these? They look exactly the same from pics online. There is a major price difference between the 2 thats why i'm asking.

thanks for any help!!
Old 08-16-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
3.0L 4Runner starter made by Denso. 2 types available as stock equipment. RWD/4WD w/manual, or 4WD w/automatic. The difference is the RWD/4WD w/manual type is a 1.4KW, the 4WD w/ automatic type is a 1.6KW. AFAIK that's the only difference between the 2. So I don't know for sure if they're interchangeable. But I assume they are because Toyota also lists the 1.6KW as cold weather spec. Meaning, it should fit in place of the 1.4KW, but work better in cold weather.

http://www.densoproducts.com/results...ctCategoryID=6
Old 08-16-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rough translation: one is "low torque" and one is "high torque".

The manual transmission doesn't have as much "dead weight" to spin as the automatic and as such doesn't need as much torque, except in colder climates. They should be interchangeable.

The 22re's also have two starters with similar options available and they do interchange: I can take the starter from my '91 auto and put it on my '88 manual with no problems and vice-versa. Makes it interesting since I bought the starter for one at Autozone and the other at Kragen/O'Reilly's so I have to remember which store I last returned one to so I can go to the other. And neither store has had an issue with taking the starter from the other 'cause the parts have the same numbers.

It's been years since I've bought a starter, but have replaced them at least 4 times.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-16-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 PM

Yeah, I figured they're interchangeable.

The stock 1.4KW type starter that my truck(V6 4WD manual) was equipped with from the factory has always been sufficient(when it works). So that's what I ended up replacing it with, when the drive component went out in it. Which was cheaper than replacing just the starter drive, since it was a used starter(and WAY cheaper than buying a new/reman. starter motor assembly). But I've been second guessing myself ever since. Should I have put the 1.6KW type in instead?

I guess the only reason I didn't go with a used 1.6KW unit was I'd never heard of that "upgrade" before. So...admittedly...I chickened out. And went the "safer" route instead. For shame...that's really not much like me at all.

Oh BTW, OP, are you sure it needs a new starter anyway? As in, it's not just that the contacts need refurbished, and/or it's got a faulty drive, right?

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-16-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 PM

Agreed, MH. When faced with the option, I opted for the one with more KW cause I sometimes work in those cold areas where a little extra cranking speed could help. They tend to burn out faster than the others but if they last long enough, the lifetime warranty pays for itself the next time you have to change it. I've got it down to where I can change the starter within 30 minutes on either of the trucks so I really don't care if it fails as long as I can get a replacement when I need it.

The higher KW starter costs more but at the shops with lifetime warrantees, if it lasts a year, you get a replacement for free... and so on and so forth.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:53 PM

Hey thanks for the replies! I'm going to go with the 1.4kw or the cheaper of the 2. Mine is an automatic trans so we'll see how it does.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:57 AM

That's not what I(and presumably abecedarian), or Toyota, would do. And, frankly, it's got bad idea written all over it. The 1.4KW type IS NOT intended to suffice for an automatic equipped vehicle. The reason for this is due to the difference in weight of the parts needing to be spun by it. As in, a flywheel weighs less than a drive/flex plate + a torque convertor(full of ATF). Make sense yet? If not, YOU NEED THE 1.6KW TYPE!!!

And the reason that I asked about the state of disrepair was in hopes that you'd realize that there were cheaper alternatives than replacing the entire starter motor assembly. Apparently I missed the mark.

So let me try this again. First, you should check to see if the contacts need replaced or refurbished. That's the most likely condition that would cause the starter to not function properly. Second, if the contacts are fine, the next most likely part to fail is the drive. Either would be CONSIDERABLY cheaper to fix than buying a new/remanufactured starter motor assembly. Even if BOTH the contacts and the drive needed fixed.

But perhaps fixing the starter doesn't apply, because it's missing(and therefore can't be repaired). I don't know. Whatever the case may be, I strongly advise you to NOT INSTALL A 1.4KW UNIT!!!

Aye, yi, yi...

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-18-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm all for using cheaper parts in some cases but I would never DOWN GRADE to a lesser part than what's called for.

If it's a budget part you want get the proper starter used off CL from someone who is parting out a truck like yours. It would be better than buying a "new" starter with less capability
Old 09-15-2012, 07:13 PM

Just an update: installed the 1.4kw starter and it seems to be pulling its own weight.

Thanks guys for all the warnings on the starter. If it fails I'll post on here so others won't try it.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnyboy99
Just an update: installed the 1.4kw starter and it seems to be pulling its own weight.

Thanks guys for all the warnings on the starter. If it fails I'll post on here so others won't try it.
....you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink....
Old 09-15-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

Only a question of time!!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
....you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink....
Or... you can lead the horticulture but you can't make her think.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:57 AM

Put an Air starter a la Mad Max on it! Sorry I can't find the actual clip but if you are reading this going "WTF is an airstarter?"
As I understand they were more common in Australasia than the States. They are also colloquially known as "Old lady scarers." I want one when I do my surf build but it probably wont be practical. Save me drowning the starter! Or if I can figure out how to mount 2 starters, Stock electrical one and air starter, I'd have redundancy in the case of a flat battery/empty air tank. That would be ideal!

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Love it!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by falcon5nz
Put an Air starter a la Mad Max on it! Sorry I can't find the actual clip but if you are reading this going "WTF is an airstarter?"Here's a short YT clip As I understand they were more common in Australasia than the States. They are also colloquially known as "Old lady scarers." I want one when I do my surf build but it probably wont be practical. Save me drowning the starter! Or if I can figure out how to mount 2 starters, Stock electrical one and air starter, I'd have redundancy in the case of a flat battery/empty air tank. That would be ideal!
Or use the compressed air to get the vehicle moving and use the vehicle's inertia to start the engine (as in "bump start").

IIRC (been a while since mechanic's school), Kenworth had a 12/24 volt system for a while- ganged two 12 volt strings to make 24v and sent that to the starter for fast cranks and switched back to parallel 12v for lights and such capacities when the key was released. Only the starter received the 24v.

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Love it!
+ + :jessica: + + =

Last edited by abecedarian; 09-16-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:13 PM

Awwweee now y'all just givin me grief!!

Y'all check out my other thread, Need help on it!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nosing-258849/