86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

project nightmare - 83-95 mutt

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
project nightmare - 83-95 mutt

A friend picked up what we believed to be a 91 toyota truck that was disassembled. They had a frame that was nicely cleaned up and painted, pretty much rust free cab and box, 22re block freshly machined with .030 over pistons, etc. Looked like a good deal and they claimed it just needed to be assembled. Once it arrived back, the nightmare began. We are slowly working through it as there has been enough put into it already that we can't really turn back. Here are some pics of the motor and frame:

It turns out the block and head were from an 83-84 22R. They had a timing chain, gasket set, etc from an 85+ 22RE. We straightened that all out and got the correct parts and the motor is now nicely assembled and ready to go in. Only to find a bunch of addition issues.

We positioned the motor in place, attached to the transmission and transfer case. The transfer case mount fits properly and the front drive shaft will mount properly between the front differential and the transfer case. There looks to be proper distance between the fan and radiator. The problem is that the 22R then doesn't bolt up to the frame. The frame is from a 95 with V6 originally. The mount itself bolts to the frame ok but the brackets that attach to the block don't fit. On the passenger side there is about 2-1/2" of space and it looks like the holes could potentially line up as the bracket will attach to the block. On the drivers side there is about 2-1/2" of space and the hole pattern from the bracket does not match the hole pattern on the block.

Does anyone know if there are brackets that will fit this frame and the 22R block? If not we will have to make some, but was hoping that possibly a newer vehicle with 22R would have proper mounts.

The front differential is from the newer V6 truck. The rear is from an older vehicle. We have yet to determine which gear ratios are in both but I am expecting they will not be the same. We also do not have a proper rear driveshaft that would bolt up as things sit. The one towards the outside would mount properly to the frame at the bearing but is too long on both ends to fit. It also has a completely different kind of spline on the transfer case end. The other towards the inside appears to be the right length but the bearing would come up about 8" behind the mount on the frame. The angle also then wouldn't come straight out of the differential and would have to go up too high.

The thought at this point is that we can have the shafts cut and use the proper ends from the shorter one to make everything fit. The problem then would only be the gear ratios.

The front differential is much more work to get out. We could get a different rear differential to match the front differential ratio. The question is, with the 22Re vs the V6, how high can we realistically go with the gear ratio without sacrificing performance? I know the V6 typically had a much higher gear ratio.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:11 PM

Wow sounds like lots of fun and a bunch of head aches.The funny part is this sounds like the way it would go for me if I was in his shoes with the way my luck goes
Old 01-12-2013, 06:52 PM

Sounds like the old Johnny Cash song about building a Cadillac one piece at a time. By any chance, did the guy you bought it from have a big lunchbox and a job at the Toyota factory?

Last edited by Chip N Sawbones; 01-12-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 PM

I took some pics of we're my mounts are on my 89 22r but mines a 2wd don't know if makes a difference or not my mounts are in front of the control arm not in the middle of it.looks like you have some fab work to do .the fun part is how to know we're to put them your gonna need some measurements.sorry cant get pics to load up on here ill try tomorrow

Last edited by timothy47129; 01-12-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V6 and 22REs mount their respective frames in different places. I don't know of any companies that make adaptive mounts. Chilkat possibly could make you some?

The driveshaft issue I'm not sure of correct applications. The longer one that has a slip-yoke on the forward end I would guess to be either from a 2wd or a different brand of vehicle altogether. The first generations of Toy Trucks that are 4wd don't have a slip yoke. Jeeps, and some domestics do. You would do better to have a driveshaft made.

And that rear diff doesn't look like a V6 rear. Any pics from drivers side? The V6 rear has 4 ribs, whereas the 22RE has 3. And the solid axle truck rear diff is narrower than the IFS truck/Runner rear diff by 3". Typical IFS gear ratios are, I think, 4.10, 4.56, & 4.88 optional on Runners. Early trucks were 3.90, 4.10, & I've heard of possible 4.56s, but I don't know if that was offered.

Last edited by rokblok; 01-12-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
screw a carrier bearing for a two piece driveshaft..my '84 ex-cab had a one piece rear d/s and was fine for the 5 years I drove the truck..go one piece shaft IMO
Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like this will be quite the project! Sub'd
Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 PM

We went out to look at it before it was purchased. The story was that they blasted and painted the frame, put the motor in and then 10,000 miles later threw a rod racing it on the ice. They got a new 91 22RE block and had all the machining done and provided the receipt for that. Considering the body looked good, frame was perfect and the whole bottom end was new, we figured it was a good deal. They claimed everything was there and ready to assemble. Not at all the case.

It took awhile to identify everything. We had the block and head from the 83-84 22R with EFI. The intake and EFI from somewhere 85+. Timing chain and sprockets from 85+ that they claimed had only 10,000 miles on them. Chain guides from 85+. Wiring harness from a 91. ECU from the V6.

We ended up going with the double chain and sprockets from the 81-82. We had to get the correct spline drive for the oil pump. Order the right water pump gaskets. Order the right chain guides for the 81-84 block. The rocker assembly they claimed was new but the bushings were so worn the two center rocker arms barely hit when they came down. We got a new performance rocker assembly from 22reperformance. Everything went together beautifully now and turns very smoothly.

Anyway, back on topic here. The mounts I'm not too worried about. I can weld those up without much issue. The transfer case mount fits in the cross member properly. With it in place, the fan seems to sit properly in the shroud. We are missing the plate that goes between the block and transmission to cover the bellhousing though. I'm not sure how thick it is but we have enough room to work with. I'm also not sure where to find that plate. If someone can put up a link to point me in the right direction where i can find one would be great. With the transfer case mount in the depth of the mounts is set. I can measure off both sides to get it centered. Making some plates from 1/4" steel will be fairly straight forward.

Then on to the differentials. I'm expecting we can find out if the gear ratios are the same by marking both differentials and both front and rear wheels. Turn the input shaft on one differential so the wheels make exactly one revolution while counting the revolutions and measuring the final angle on shaft. Then repeat with the other differential. I really don't want to take the front differential apart to count the teeth. I'm hoping that they actually researched it first and matched the gear ratios although I am not expecting they did. I plan to find out tomorrow. I was hoping to look in the cab,which came off the v6 frame and find the differential code. Unfortunately they peeled the sticker out it out. Best case is they both end up to be 3.91 or 4.10.

http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html

Then it is a matter of fitting the rear driveshaft. I think they gave us both because they knew they would have to be combined to make it fit. There is a machine shop that does shafts so it will only be a matter of getting the right dimensions, cutting, welding, and re-balancing.

This is a lot of work though for a truck that was supposedly all there and only needed to be assembled.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 AM

Your luck sounds just like mine. I'm to the point that my wife want to make me a shirt that says, "Oh ya, it will bolt right in."

What transmission are you running? If it is the w56 5 speed manual I might have a plate that goes between the engine and transmission. If I can find it you can have it for the just the cost to ship it.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:54 AM

Lmfao does your wife know my wife sounds like what my wife would say. How much clearance do you have from the fan to rad?from what I have seen they say the v6 frame has the crossmember a little farther back than the 4 cyl. Which makes since since the motor mounts are farther back.

Last edited by timothy47129; 01-13-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 AM

I have a friend with a 22re in his truck and I will measure it and get you some numbers. Let me know what dimensions you need and I will do my best to get them for you.

I can't use my truck, because I dont have it anymore.

I had the 86 toyota 22re 4x4 5speed which I had the engine block crack; crack was coming up from the oil pan on each side. I pulled that engine and put in a 22ret (turbo version). I kept blowing head gaskets with that setup, so I pulled it and dropped in a mustang 5.0 with a bellhousing adapter from North west off-road (nwor).

Having a 5.0 under the hood was fun, but for off roading it was like having a boat anchor up front. In 2wd I could literally get stuck on flat ground if I got into any sort of loose gravel. On the flip side, you should see the look in the guys face who has a modified dodge cummins that you just smoked.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by 400yzturbo
Your luck sounds just like mine. I'm to the point that my wife want to make me a shirt that says, "Oh ya, it will bolt right in."

What transmission are you running? If it is the w56 5 speed manual I might have a plate that goes between the engine and transmission. If I can find it you can have it for the just the cost to ship it.
I'm the owner of this frankentruck.

We figured out the gear ratios for the differentials match, got the engine mounted, and the shafts cut and balanced. Waiting on $130 in bolts for the shafts to arrive at the dealership. They were adamant they don't have transmission dust cover/block plate. Stuck looking for that plate. If you could send it this way I'd be happy to compensate.