86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pressure in cooling sys. and blow-by from oil cap

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
You might have an exhaust-to-coolant leak. You can test with this:
Amazon.com: Lisle 75500 Combustion Leak Detector: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 75500 Combustion Leak Detector: Automotive
(I've never tried it myself). Most likely cause of such a leak is through the head gasket, but a crack in the head itself can do it.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by thedrewski86
... Honestly after doing the h/g and timing chain on my 22 there is no way I wouldn't do that job to any newly acquired 22. I replaced tons of stuff (oil pump, water pump, gaskets, front cover, belts, HEAD for crying out loud)...
Concur, altho I was happy to pay for mine because I had neither time nor space.

Originally Posted by kirkerik
The correct radiator cap helped and was workong for a while but... It has been almost a year and i am loosing coolant again. Very much the same way as described in the first post. About a liter per week of driving.

I found a thread where another truck has very similar symptoms:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...gasket-159309/

I start my truck when cold with hood open. The coolant hoses firm right up and the tube in the overflow starts bubbling. Not a lot but a slow steady stream of bubbles. Overflow tank smells of exhaust inside.

I turn off the motor and open the radiator cap (still cool) and the pressure that was in the coolant system dumps in to the overflow tank. Both the radiator and the overflow tank smell of exhaust fumes.

I just thought i'd mention it because this is a subtle set o' symptoms that i have not read much of here at YotaTech.

Kirk
Originally Posted by scope103
You might have an exhaust-to-coolant leak. You can test with this: Amazon.com: Lisle 75500 Combustion Leak Detector: Automotive (I've never tried it myself). Most likely cause of such a leak is through the head gasket, but a crack in the head itself can do it.
I hate to be bearer of bad news (which I experienced), but I'm with Scope103 &thedrewski86.
I did not have milkshake, but earlier on, the coolant would overflow into reserve tank. At first shop owner and I thought pressure was from boiling over
because of overheating.
Later on... while engine was cold with radiator cap off, as soon as I started engine, coolant would well up and I'd see bubbles come up. The only possible cause of this pressurization of cooling system while engine is cold that I can think of is exhaust leaking into cooling system.
Shop owner confirmed with hydro-carbon test.
At this point, I also noticed substantially more moisture (splashing, not dripping) out of exhaust pipe, and hard-starting- when there's no more compression, coolant may be pushed back into one or more cylinder(s)
Old 11-12-2013, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
I hate to be bearer of bad news (which I experienced), but I'm with Scope103 &thedrewski86.
I did not have milkshake, but earlier on, the coolant would overflow into reserve tank. At first shop owner and I thought pressure was from boiling over
because of overheating.
Later on... while engine was cold with radiator cap off, as soon as I started engine, coolant would well up and I'd see bubbles come up. The only possible cause of this pressurization of cooling system while engine is cold that I can think of is exhaust leaking into cooling system.
Shop owner confirmed with hydro-carbon test.
At this point, I also noticed substantially more moisture (splashing, not dripping) out of exhaust pipe, and hard-starting- when there's no more compression, coolant may be pushed back into one or more cylinder(s)
Interesting, thanks for sharing. It sounds like a similar problem although, my coolant is NOT filling the overflow tank at this time. I do not recall it doing that but i don't remember. I know changing to the proper pressure radiator cap made a big difference.

Im pretty sure the exhaust is leaking in to the cooling system as I can not get past the smell of the pressure/bubbles in the rad. or the OF tank.

Was your problem the head gasket, crack in the head or block?

kirk
Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
I start my truck when cold with hood open. The coolant hoses firm right up and the tube in the overflow starts bubbling. Not a lot but a slow steady stream of bubbles.Kirk
Exactly my symptoms. Blown HG. Since truck already has 185K miles, I decided to have full rebuild. I was going to buy re-built from 22RE Performance in Chico, CA, but its leadtime is 10-12 weeks. Then, a local shop was recommended to me by an office mate. So far so good. I can feel more power from the engine, too.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Its been a couple of days with the new rad cap (13psi) and the trucks symptoms have disappeared!! Its now holding coolant and it took a little from the overflow tank. So it seems to be working well.

I am so glad! What a releif. Now i can plan an overhaul at a reasonable time. But its running great.
The correct radiator cap helped and was workong for a while but... It has been almost a year and i am loosing coolant again. Very much the same way as described in the first post. About a liter per week of driving.
looks like the planning didn't happen? hope you are able to fix the issue now without too much trouble. i'd guess there isn't much margin anymore, as far as putting it off. exhaust gasses in the coolant system aren't usually a positive sign. good luck.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Wallytoo

No, the plan did not happen. i'm not prepared but i have my 2wd to get me by and my neighbor is allowing me to use their garage for the winter.