Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Possessed radio and clock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possessed radio and clock?

Hi !

I just came back from a drive with my 90 Yota picku (22re 5speed 4x4)
and when I removed the key, the radio and clock just stayed on...
Then after 30sec, the clock dimmed and the radio was flashing (on / off cycling)

So, my guess would be the ignition switch having a bad contact but maybe
some of you guys have already seen this issue but I know our ignition switch
are prone to failure...

And if the the igntion switch should I change the switch alone or should I also
replace the ignition lock cylinder with it ?

Any input is greatly apreciated !

Thanks!

PS, I used the search function and found numerous no start issues related to the ignition switch, so far the truck always starts up it just seems to ''stick'' on the accesory contact...
Old 11-08-2015, 11:53 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

This is the first time this happened ??

All stock wiring add anything lately ??

Any alarm ??

Lock cylinder worn so bad you can pull the key out before it is completely in the off position ??

Now it was the complete radio flashing on and off now just the light??

I would figure out just what is wrong before changing anything .

An Exorcism may be in order just in case!!!
Old 11-09-2015, 05:11 AM

No alarm, stock wiring stock everything aside from the radio (Sony something).

The lock cylinder seems find, I can't remove the key unless its at the off position, and it feels smooth enough.

I never had issue with the head unit, I tried a different one (pioneer) and the same issues happen. It cycle between on and off so the complete head unit turns on and off.

I tried throwing holy water at the damn thing but no luck, I was thinking of sacrificing a lamp for the gods of yota's...
Old 11-09-2015, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The previous generation to yours is located on the Steering Column and can cause issues. I have changed out a couple of the ignition switch assemblies do to causing issues. Not sure how hard it would be on yours since the Ignition Switch is on the dash.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
The previous generation to yours is located on the Steering Column and can cause issues. I have changed out a couple of the ignition switch assemblies do to causing issues. Not sure how hard it would be on yours since the Ignition Switch is on the dash.
It seems rather easy to swap out (aside from the little cam thing) but I was just wondering if those symptoms would point to the ignition switch... Thanks for the reply !
Old 11-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have had similar issues. Truck would shut off or have to jiggle the key to get a good contact. Below is an 84-88 truck but yours should be similar in removing. The electrical cable can be replaced as well on these that hooks to the back of Ignition Switch. If I recall right, there are just 2 small screws that connect it to the Ignition Switch and it just plugs into the Steering Column harness.

To remove the Ignition lock, you have to have the key in the ACC position for it to slide out of its assembly. Once you have it in the ACC position, there is a little tab that you push in to let the lock slide out. Not sure where it is on your generation of truck.

Copied...
you turn the key to the Accessory Position and push in on the silver button and pull assembly out. I use a nail or something similar to push the button in.
Name:  key2_zpseef9ed1f.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  70.6 KB

Since your key wont turn, I would try a several other keys as a last chance effort, if that doesn't work, my suggestion is to drill out the key slot to get it to let the tab that engages the slot inside the steering column to turn. You have to get it to turn to remove the key assembly.

Beckley Arnlay seems to come to mind for a key set off of ebay or the parts store could get you an assembly I think. This is how I would do it if it was up to me. I have heard of this happening and it does take a tow truck to get it home. Others might have a better way. Never had it happen to me but it did to a friend of mine on his 94.

Here is the key cylinder upside down showing the tab (by my thumb) that engages the slot inside the column.
Name:  key1_zps67726d0f.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  91.0 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-09-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by warracer
... and when I removed the key, the radio and clock just stayed on...
Then after 30sec, the clock dimmed and the radio was flashing (on / off cycling) ...
While a bad ignition switch could do something like this, the "30 seconds" part caught my eye. The Door Lock Control Relay http://web.archive.org/web/201102052.../7powerwin.pdf keeps 12v on pin 5 for (something like) 30 seconds after you turn the key off, so that you can roll up the windows. Could you have a short from that wire to the clock/radio "lighting" line?

If the problem is difficult to reproduce, it's going to be hard to find. But if it happens again, quickly open the door. That causes the Door Lock relay to drop pin 5 to ground (or open -- but no 12v). If the clock dims at exactly that moment, you may have made a connection!
Old 11-10-2015, 05:05 PM

Terry87,

Thanks man, really apreciate the pictures, super helpful I'll look into that this weekend !

scope103, That would seem probable but my truck doesn't have electric lock or electric window. I have zero equipement aside an heater and powersteering... haha but I'll check the wiring in that area , thanks for the input man !