Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Please help on bad idle and hard start??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help on bad idle and hard start??

86 T4R 22re 5speed

Chasing both bad idle and hard to start issues.

Yep, searched everywhere! Yep read all the articles related to “hard start and or rough idle”!!

I assume nothing wrong with the motor or sensors since it was a fresh install and running motor from the donor. Im leaning towards what I didn’t change out. But I could be wrong. I do have a header leak on the “Y” pipe. (if that matters)

Here is some information:

Original 204k motor (bad idle and hard to start)

New 55k Motor (before install, on other truck ran well and idle perfectly)Hard start happens after a drive when the truck sits. Or during anytime of the day when cars is sitting for a while. Bad Idle happens “all” the time.

Thermostat is drilled with 2 holes.

Swapped done with new motor (bad idle and hard start)

1 month later = found out acceleration cable is broken and then replaced (bad idle & hard start continues)

Weeks later tested both CSI timer and Temp Sensor, BOTH in good working order, took it out and test it with hot & cold water. Measure the resistance and everything was working. Had both from other motor sitting around and everything checked out okay as well.. (Still bad idle and hard start)

Checked CSI injector, loosen the nut and turned key “ON” and gas sprayed everywhere. (Still bad idle and hard start)

Starter Relay work intermitted.. Override starter with push button…problem solved ( still bad Idle and hard start)

Tested my AFM and also Switch AFM with a buddy. No change. (bad idle and hard start)

Tested and switch igniter and coil with a buddy.. No change. (bad idle and hard start)

Test TPS per FSM.. it is GOOD (bad idle and hard start)
Jumped FP on terminal, was able to hear the fuel pump. Without it I hear nothing, but eventually start after a many attempts.. (Bad idle and hard start continues..)

Check air leaks with carb cleaner. Spray around manifold all hoses, to bottom of IAC, and around throttle body.. NOTHING!! (bad idle and hard start)

New spark plug wires, plugs, and distributer… (bad idle and hard start)

Switch intake arm…. (bad idle and hard start)

New O2 sensor….. (bad idle and hard start)

Switched COR, weird thing is that when I try starting with the jumper from FP on. And pressing my starter push button, I don’t hear the COR click. After pressing on gas pedal I now hear the click. (But still no start!)

Valve adjustments.. Did a valve adjustment 4 times!! 2 while engine was super hot under this Fresno Cali 100+ weather. And 2 other times while engine cold minus .1 on the feeler gauge. 2 out of 4 times I really thought I nailed it…. It finally idle perfectly and was not rough as before. I assumed it was it. After a drive around the block it was bogging and almost died. I have to rev it up to make it home. I did it again and couldn’t get it back to where I had it.

***Only thing left to check is IAC, Fuel Pump, Fuel filter, EGR… ***

Your thoughts, comments, directions, assistance, help, and recommendations, is highly needed. Please help?
Old 09-04-2012, 05:28 PM

leaking injectors would cause it to flood making it hard to start and maybe rough idle
Old 09-04-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by tyes
Checked CSI injector, loosen the nut and turned key “ON” and gas sprayed everywhere. (Still bad idle and hard start)
The Cold Start Injector should spray nothing unless you turn the key past "ON" to "Start." If I understand your description correctly, that could be your problem, because you'd be running rich all the time.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Slowey23
leaking injectors would cause it to flood making it hard to start and maybe rough idle
i dont see anything leaking externally, perhaps internally?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
The Cold Start Injector should spray nothing unless you turn the key past "ON" to "Start." If I understand your description correctly, that could be your problem, because you'd be running rich all the time.
my "cut to the chase explanation" could cause confusion... i loosen the nut on the CSI, went into the car and did 2 clicks before i press the start button... gas sprayed everywhere. i dont do too good on gas too. this bad boys drinks like my v8 suburuban....
Old 09-04-2012, 07:04 PM

BTW also changed out CAT and muffler...
Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by tyes
my "cut to the chase explanation" could cause confusion... i loosen the nut on the CSI, went into the car and did 2 clicks before i press the start button... gas sprayed everywhere. i dont do too good on gas too. this bad boys drinks like my v8 suburuban....
sorry let me clairify again, i took the bolt for the fuel line off and not the CSI if that matters...
Old 09-04-2012, 07:44 PM

did another test... took CSI out with fuel line connected and wraped it up in zip lock bag. went in the turn it 2 clicks and nothing. no fuel sprayed out, i did it again and try to start the car, and again NO fuel sprayed out.. i pulled it off and cleaned it and connect + / - and i can hear it click.. im assuming its the timer switch.... any thoughts????
Old 09-04-2012, 08:28 PM

some more info on hard to start issue, if it matters:

http://www.toyotapart.com/22R-E,_22R...T-EG011-89.pdf
Old 09-05-2012, 02:28 PM

anyone has ideas i can start troubleshooting???
Old 09-05-2012, 06:58 PM

i think its the fuel pump... today i try to bypass the CSI.. i can hear it click but no fuel.. i then took the CSI off the fuel line and click the key 2x. no fuel...i try starting 3-4 times. and still no fuel... i believe there is no pressure.. which lead me to believe "Fuel Pump" is bad OR there is a leak...