Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pictures of my rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures of my rebuild

Since I took the time to take all these pictures I thought I'd post them up for your viewing pleasure. Besides I'm bored and there is nothing else I can do to the engine until I get some other parts. It is a little further along than the last pics show but my better half has the camera at a gift opening so I'll have to update later. Here you go....all comments welcome.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Green93Toy/MyToy

Jason
Old 09-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Banned

Nice job.

Oh. BTW. Every time I go to Toyota stealerships, I don't feel like I get robbed...I just feel my wallet gets violated and molested.

Last edited by 4JOGGER; 09-30-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn Jason! That engine looks PURRRDY

lets hops your headers get in soon, I want to check your build out for myself
Old 09-30-2007, 01:12 PM

Good job...it's always nice to see the progress of a project with pics!
Old 09-30-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just don't reuse the O-ring that came with the oil pump, on your gasket set there is a brown o-ring that made to replace it. I use the O-ring that came with the oil pump on mine and now it is leaking. If lucky enough it might not leak from it. Also you should throw in some MLS HG from cns A/P, I have order some graphite HG and fail on me, only 2,000 miles of driving when it fail. The graphite HG are not thick enough and sometime you can hear the piston slapping the head making a clunk noise coming from piston #2. After my MLS HG it never hear that clunk noise and seem to give me a pretty high compression.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.

Guardian....where did you get your oil pump and gasket set from? I don't think I had a brown o-ring in my set. Just another thing to worry about i guess. I'll be stressed until it actually fires up.

Jason
Old 09-30-2007, 01:30 PM

TopLine oil pump, I didn't order striaght from there ebay store, was cheaper from another ebay store. The brown O-ring came same size as the both cam O-rings, there should be three brown O-rings with the set.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:00 PM

Ok now I'm nervous. Here is a crappy pic of the 2 orings I have left. I emailed engnbldr and asked him as well. I never really paid much attention since I have alot of stuff left over. Mostly because I bought alot of new parts and I had my heads done before I got the kit.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Green93Toy/Temp

Let me know if that looks like it. It's a crappy pic I know. I'm off to get my FSM. BRB

Jason
Old 09-30-2007, 02:10 PM

Now that I'm thinking clearly again, I think the one with the groove around the inside is for the thermostat. Which I didn't use because I had a new Toyota thermostat with the rubber already around it.

Now to figure out where the other is supposed to go. Any ideas please let me know. I really don't want to have to tear into this thing again. but if I have to I'd rather do it on the engine stand.

Off to read the FSM

Jason
Old 09-30-2007, 02:39 PM

Ok life can go on as normal. I emailed engnbldr and he said all is well.

I know most of you know this already but if you need engine parts then go to engnbldr.com. Ted has the best customer service I've ever had. Emailed him about a half hour ago. Its Sunday afternoon and he's already gotten back to me...and he's not even at home. Absolutely excellent guy.

Jason
Old 09-30-2007, 03:44 PM

The left one can go to either both cam or the oil pump, so your are black instead of brown like mine... The left over one that u have would go to the oil pump but since it already came with one then you have extra parts left. You should be fine. Mine maybe was just too old sitting in there shelve...

Last edited by Guardian_Saint; 09-30-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:15 PM

Jason, I asked you earlier in the other thread - but what were the results before/after for flow pattern/spray from having your injectors professionally cleaned?

Did LCE send your headers via pack mule?

Hey another thing - when you get your truck up and running - wanna hit the dyno and compare our trucks? I'm just thinking a Chassis Dyno where they do a run on the rollers or whatever to see the HP at the rear wheels (is that right?). My undersanding is Mopac in Langley has one. I could maybe pitch in a bit of $$$ for yours Jason as long as it's not too much per pull (I thought it was $75 each or something - have to look into it). I'd only want to do one pull to see what kinda HP and TQ I'm getting at the rear wheels and to see what kinda gains you have from your various mods you added as you rebuilt it.

One more thing - what kinda diff/tranny/transfer case fluids are you going to put in your truck?

Last edited by CoedNaked; 09-30-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:40 PM

Please post up the charts/graphs of gains/increases if ya'll dyno. That will be one of the key factors in the 3.0 rebuild vs. 3.4 swap.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:17 PM

Looks like your passenger side cam sprocket may be on backwards - I'm pretty sure the lip is supposed to be on the inside. (drivers side lip out, passenger side in)
Though I don't know how crucial this really is....
Steve
Old 09-30-2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 4JOGGER
Nice job.

Oh. BTW. Every time I go to Toyota stealerships, I don't feel like I get robbed...I just feel my wallet gets violated and molested.

They made that gap in your wallet a lot looser eh ? Yeah, they will ream you if you buy from there. I won't buy from the stealership...
Old 09-30-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by snelson
Looks like your passenger side cam sprocket may be on backwards - I'm pretty sure the lip is supposed to be on the inside. (drivers side lip out, passenger side in)
Though I don't know how crucial this really is....
Steve
X2 on the cam pulley being backwards. I believe it is important to orient it the right way because the flange helps keep the belt from walking too far towards the engine. At the very least it will help prevent accelerated belt wear.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:04 PM

You guys keep scaring me with these observations. I took a look at my pictures but the cam sprockets are for sure on the correct way. The lip is supposed to go on the outside like I have them. The other side of the cam sprockets have no lip what-so-ever. You would just see the edge of the teeth on the sprocket. I don't know if you can zoom into the pics but if you do you will see they are correct. I know you're just lookin' out.

There's some things that I will do to the dealership for and some that I wont. I was thinking about getting a new o2 sensor and that I wont be getting at the dealership. They quoted me $250 and I can get one online for about $90. It just depends what it is and how fast I need it to continue working. I love getting a whole wack of those little red boxes and bubble wrapped baggies though. I have a clipboard with all my receipts since I have started this build. I'll add it up when I'm all done. I don't want to know right now.

Jason
Old 09-30-2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
Jason, I asked you earlier in the other thread - but what were the results before/after for flow pattern/spray from having your injectors professionally cleaned?

Did LCE send your headers via pack mule?

Hey another thing - when you get your truck up and running - wanna hit the dyno and compare our trucks? I'm just thinking a Chassis Dyno where they do a run on the rollers or whatever to see the HP at the rear wheels (is that right?). My undersanding is Mopac in Langley has one. I could maybe pitch in a bit of $$$ for yours Jason as long as it's not too much per pull (I thought it was $75 each or something - have to look into it). I'd only want to do one pull to see what kinda HP and TQ I'm getting at the rear wheels and to see what kinda gains you have from your various mods you added as you rebuilt it.

One more thing - what kinda diff/tranny/transfer case fluids are you going to put in your truck?
Coed,

The place I got the injector work done was Dynamic Fuel Injection & Turbo Ltd. #209 20701 Langley By-Pass. (604)533-5600. Have your questions ready because he is a gruff straight to the point kind of guy. He told me he doesn't do the printout. So I don't have a before and after comparison. I'm just going to assume it will be better. Kershaw Performance sends all their work to him so I'll just trust that.

As for the headers I'm going to have my parts girl make a couple phone calls tomorrow. This is getting out of hand.

I know someone through a friend that works at the Mopac in Langley. Maybe I could get us a bit of a hookup. I'd be into it but the only thing is I have an auto and you have the 5 speed. Just have to account for the trannies I guess. Did your truck come stock with 31" tires? If so then our gearing should be the same. I'd love to swap out the auto and do another pull to compare that as well.

As soon as the engine is up and running I will be addressing the drive train. I'll drive it a bit and when I do my first oil change after the break in I want to change everything to synthetic. Not sure on the brand yet. Do you recommend anything? I also have a problem with the 4x4. I'm hoping its just a vacuum line or something easy. It used to be Monica's truck and she didn't use the 4x4 much so it should be something easy.

Jason
Old 09-30-2007, 10:37 PM

dood man great stuff! i enjoy all the pics, it makes me want to start on mine...but i cant......
Old 10-01-2007, 03:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
If you don't have one lip in and one out on the cam sprockets, one of them is on the wrong way for SURE. This prevents the belt walking off the sprockets. They are interchangeable and it LOOKS like the both go the same direction, but they DO NOT!!

Quick Reply: Pictures of my rebuild