86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Opinions needed: Weasy vs. EngineBuilder cams

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions needed: Weasy vs. EngineBuilder cams

So, I'm about to embark on getting a set of heads rebuilt on for my 3VZE. As expected, I'm going to have Ted take care of the work.

As part of the process, I'd like to put in some cams that will give me a little more ooomph! Weasys cams are very popular here and have a good following. But Ted has his TORKR cams that are significantly less $$$ than Weasys.

My question is this, can anyone comments on one cams vs. the other. I found all kinds of data on Weasys cams, but little on Ted's.

For the intended use of my Runner (primarily towing my boat and occasional runs to Home Depot), is the extra $$$ for Weasy's cams worth it?

thanks for everyones input
mike
Old 12-11-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure that the engnbldr cams are for the 3vze?
Old 12-11-2006, 12:36 PM

huh, you're right. When I was last on his site, I thought he had cams for the 3VZE. But when I look now, I don't see it.

So, what are my other options for cams for the 3VZE?
Old 12-11-2006, 01:04 PM

I didn't even know that they offered anything aftermarket for the 3vze... Hardly seems worth it...
Old 12-11-2006, 01:33 PM

They do have services and OS valves for the 3VZE. Given the experiences of others, headwork seems to be one of the most effective mods for the 3VZE.

I'm just trying to figure out what my options are for cams
Old 12-11-2006, 01:36 PM

The only 2 options I've seen, or even heard of for 3.0 cams are: Weasys, and DOA...but you can do your own research about the second option.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bill
The only 2 options I've seen, or even heard of for 3.0 cams are: Weasys, and DOA...but you can do your own research about the second option.
Weasy it is then!...
Old 12-11-2006, 02:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
crower has some cams out too, but personally Ive never seen dyno results from them. Weasy's I have. Hence why I have weasy2k's cams!
Old 12-11-2006, 02:31 PM

My understanding from EB was that DOA cams are actually crower cams. BTW: EB use to grind whatever duration you wanted for your cam... Send EB an e-mail, I'm sure he'll be helpful. BTW: I purchased the "EB Stick" for my 22RE from him, and was very happy with the results.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Th3duke
My understanding from EB was that DOA cams are actually crower cams. BTW: EB use to grind whatever duration you wanted for your cam... Send EB an e-mail, I'm sure he'll be helpful. BTW: I purchased the "EB Stick" for my 22RE from him, and was very happy with the results.

>>>*No I don't think DOA uses Crower, although one profile I had on my chekker was similar. If we think about it, the better designs are all similar of course, usually within 5% of each other on potential.

Crower doesn't make cams, they just grind what they want into a ready made blank, just like we do. Well, just like everybody does, I guess.

I played a little with the 3VZE, ran smack dab into that valve train geometry can of worms. Regrinding a stock profile runs us out of room to set the lash real quick. The base circle has to be reduced, something has to take up the slack. Adding weight to the top of a valve train is not good, the goal is to get weight OFF the valve train.

Sure, we could run bigger shims but that's weight, we could recess the valve seat or change angles to get the valve installed taller but then we had a one time shot with few ways to fix a problem if something happened.

The answer was a longer valve, but that would really restrict the possible choices. Plus developing a new valve part number is a few grand each time so I just made 1mm oversize and left it at that.

After I chased myself around the fence so to speak for a few months I gave up on making 3VZE cams, the idea was getting kinda expensive.

I sure will be interested in the results you get if you try those cams, though....*EB
Old 12-12-2006, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 'DOA' cam is a Crower Cam and was designed for one of the Toyota Racing Teams.

There seems to be very little that the cam does for the bottom end, however it greatly increases the powerband. A stock 3.slow begins making power at 3k and gasps at 4.2k. Mine behaves the same at 3k but pulls hard all the way to redline.

The eb oversize valves did help.

However, all this polishing the turd still yields minimal results for the vast quantity of $ that needs to be spent to achieve it.

IMHO, polishing the turd is not a good return on investment. Yes, minimal gains can be achieved on the 3VZE, but for the same $ & effort a swap could be completed.

If you are already doing a valve job due to a failed headgasket a set of eb's $60 valves is probably worth the coin, but all the filters, throttle bodies, porting, polishing, cams, headers, exhaust...ad nausium is an exercise in futility. I've spent way more on the 3.turd than a swap would have cost and the performance achieved isn't even equal to what an stock motor swap would give. Add in the capabilities of superchargers on the 3.4 and all the other goodies and there is no question that the swap is a much better choice.