86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New motor NO power

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New motor NO power

Alright so I'm getting closer to finding my problem. I put in a new 22re with new TPS, Fuel filter, EGR delete (yes ALL vac lines are correct) so the problem I'm having the truck has no low end power and I'm not saying it's going slower than normal, I'm talking with my foot on the floor it wont go anywhere. If I get it going on a Flat it runs good in the top end but only when its cold. Today I hooked up my timing light and while it's cold timing is correct but when the truck hits 100+ degrees the timing goes retard by quite a bit, and ideas?
Old 02-22-2019, 04:39 PM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
Time it when its up to operating temp...
Old 02-22-2019, 08:49 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Cumminsguy1
Alright so I'm getting closer to finding my problem. I put in a new 22re with new TPS, Fuel filter, EGR delete (yes ALL vac lines are correct) so the problem I'm having the truck has no low end power and I'm not saying it's going slower than normal, I'm talking with my foot on the floor it wont go anywhere. If I get it going on a Flat it runs good in the top end but only when its cold. Today I hooked up my timing light and while it's cold timing is correct but when the truck hits 100+ degrees the timing goes retard by quite a bit, and ideas?
Valve adjustment, idle, and timing are all specified to be set on a warmed up engine. So he may be on to something there.

There is a built in system on these referred to as the "warm up" protocol it consists of advanced timing and additional fuel. Which could explain why you have discrepancy if you set the timing while cold, or while cranking which is fine to get it running, but doesn't follow the protocol.

Now if we assume it is all set "by the book", and the sensors are sending accurate, aswell the computer is receiving these signals as sent.. It maybe detecting a signal on the knock sensor.. Fuel pump, fuel lines, filter, injectors..

Before I went through all that I'd start with making sure I was following the instructions. Then proceed with making sure the sensors are clean. Follow this up with checking the voltage and resistance at the ECU.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Valve adjustment, idle, and timing are all specified to be set on a warmed up engine. So he may be on to something there.

There is a built in system on these referred to as the "warm up" protocol it consists of advanced timing and additional fuel. Which could explain why you have discrepancy if you set the timing while cold, or while cranking which is fine to get it running, but doesn't follow the protocol.

Now if we assume it is all set "by the book", and the sensors are sending accurate, aswell the computer is receiving these signals as sent.. It maybe detecting a signal on the knock sensor.. Fuel pump, fuel lines, filter, injectors..

Before I went through all that I'd start with making sure I was following the instructions. Then proceed with making sure the sensors are clean. Follow this up with checking the voltage and resistance at the ECU.
I re-set timing last night while it was at running temp and did everything by the book. The camshaft I have in the truck said only to set valve lash while it was cold so that's what I did should i check them at operating temp? Also the knock sensor has never been hooked up even when I got the truck and I never had any issues so I dint bother messing with it
Old 02-23-2019, 05:09 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
You need the knock sensor hooked up.

The engine computer adjusts the timing for optimal engine performance. It does this partly by using the knock sensor to make sure the ignition timing is not too far advanced and causes engine knock (which will ruin your engine).

When the knock sensor is not hooked up, the computer goes into a self-preservation mode and limits the spark advancement, and that reduces the power quite a bit.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:33 AM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
[QUOTE=old87yota;52419158]You need the knock sensor hooked up.

The engine computer adjusts the timing for optimal engine performance. It does this partly by using the knock sensor to make sure the ignition timing is not too far advanced and causes engine knock (which will ruin your engine).

When the knock sensor is not hooked up, the computer goes into a self-preservation mode and limits the spark advancement, and that reduces the power quite a bit.

well done... good info