Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New engine or reman?

Old 07-19-2012, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New engine or reman?

HEY GUYS, I'M GOING TO GET STRAIGHT TO THE POINT, SO THE OTHER DAY I SEIZED MY 22RE. I WENT UP A MOUNTAIN AND IT OVERHEATED, AND GAVE ME THE KNOCK OF DEATH. AS I WENT DOWN THE MOUNTAIN I CRUISED IT ON NEUTRAL HOPING IT WOULD COOL DOWN BUT IT DIDNT, IT SHUT DOWN ON ME. I PARKED AND STARTED IT UP AFTER 3O MIN, DROVE IT FOR ABOUT 30 YARDS AND IT TURNED OFF AND BLED OIL FROM THE BOTTOM. I PULLED IT OUT AND NOW I AM FACED WITH THE DILEMMA OF EITHER BUYING A NEW ENGINE FROM JAPAN ENGINE FOR ABOUT $1700 OR A REMAN FROM OREGON ENGINE RE-BUILDERS. THE BRAND NEW ENGINE ONLY HAS A 1 YEAR WARRANTY AND THE REMAN ENGINE HAS A LIFETIME WARRANTY AND IS ONLY ABOUT $1000.... WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

LINKS ARE HERE
http://www.ebay.com/itm/22R-22RE-Eng...#ht_1300wt_932

http://www.japanengine.com/products/...h=&page=:king:
Old 07-19-2012, 07:30 PM

sorry, this is the Japan Engine Link...

http://www.japanengine.com/products/...&search=&page=
Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's a link to a thread about Japan engine:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...engine-155204/

I bought my long block from Jim at 22RE Performance. He's up in Chico.

Last edited by slow-mo; 07-19-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 PM

how's your engine running? i ask because i've heard from other people that get their engines worked on and they end up in a worse situation. I was also thinking about Autozone but i really dont know who to turn to... the Oregon guy does offer a lifetime warranty...
Old 07-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I shopped for an engine the only new engines that I could find were not manufactured by Toyota. That means that the block and other parts were a knock off of unknown quality. I went with a re-manufactured Toyota engine. If you want a warranty then you should use go a reputable local builder. I have an Oregon engine with 20,000 mi and no problems, but if I have to deal with a warranty problem they are 400mi away. How well will that work? I have had good luck with Toy Connection in San Jose. Toyota trucks is all that they do.

Last edited by Buck87; 07-19-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

22re Performance has a very good reputation, but they are still 90mi away.

Last edited by Buck87; 07-19-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
take it to a machine shop get everything checked and resurfaced then Rebuilt it yourself save a ton of money and learn a ton. Even if you have never done one before everything you need to know can be found here trust me I did mine with never even looking at one till I decided that a blown head gasket was a perfect excuse to tear into one. I searched this site found everything I needed to know talked to TOD /and TED at ENGENBLDR for the HP questions and info and it was the most fun and interesting thing I had done for years and the since of pride and accomplishment is well worth and trouble you may run into.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by olharleyman
take it to a machine shop get everything checked and resurfaced then Rebuilt it yourself save a ton of money and learn a ton. Even if you have never done one before everything you need to know can be found here trust me I did mine with never even looking at one till I decided that a blown head gasket was a perfect excuse to tear into one. I searched this site found everything I needed to know talked to TOD /and TED at ENGENBLDR for the HP questions and info and it was the most fun and interesting thing I had done for years and the since of pride and accomplishment is well worth and trouble you may run into.
^^^ great advice. I did a long block replacement for all of the same reasons. Now I am comfortable with everything that I see under the hood and some things that I can't see.
Had a couple of bumps in the road, but I learned a lot from those also.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:21 AM

I agree with olharleyman. Dont do Autozone or O'reily's or anything similar as they are rebuilt by folks who dont know anything about engines and are paid a minimum wage or less. Plus here is the exciting part: you get to choose what parts you want to use in the rebuild, which could result in an increase in power. If I were you I would be choosing hypereutectic pistons from Sealed power or TRW, increase the compression ratio a bit by purchasing pop-up pistons or having the head milled slightly (I would go with pop-up pistons). Have the valves in the cylinder head given a 30 degree three angle valve job as that is cheap and easy HP, as it flows air a bit better. You could port match the head to the intake and exhaust manifold if time permits (and can be done with a dremel) as that is free, cheap and easy hp. I would go with total seal piston rings as there is almost 0 blowby compared to gapped rings. If you have the time and wearwithall, go with an RV cam and light weight rocker arms, roller, if budget allows. There are a tonne and a half of things one can do to increase the HP and torque of any engine. Heck you could stoke the thing or install longer rods, but I do not think Toyota has the same aftermarket as say Chevy or Ford, which would cost a lot at a machine shop to do, but it is possible. At the very minimum go with total seal piston rings and lightweight pistons (as you won't be super or turbo charging the vehicle). If it is carburetted, you might want to consider a small Holley or Weber, depending on budget. Port matching the intake and/or exhaust is free horsepower and if you are interested I can walk you through it. Whatever you do, do not get a remanufactured motor, unless from Toyota. If you saw where they do those reman's it would make you sick! Good luck!

-gt350mk
Old 07-20-2012, 07:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have heard nothing but bad things from people who have gone with Oregon Engine Rebuilders. There are a couple of lenghty threads on the topic here, read for yourself and see if you want to go with them.

I too have gone with Jim at 22repreformance for my rebuilt engine. There good and know 22re's. The only problems is, there always a couple of months out on orders.

Good luck
Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamma_Hugo
how's your engine running?
No issues, no problems with the engine. I bought his stage 2 engine.

The only issue I have is with the Aisan carburetor. It is doing the common fuel bowl draining thing. I'm still pondering what is causing that to happen, but it has nothing to do with Jim's work.

Originally Posted by snobdds
I too have gone with Jim at 22repreformance for my rebuilt engine. There good and know 22re's. The only problems is, there always a couple of months out on orders.
dito on the wait period. Mine also took several months to get.

Jim has videos on Youtube regarding the work he does to the 22Rs. That's what convinced me to buy from him.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:11 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. I just gotta save of some cash so that i dont have to settle for something cheap. i will probably go with 22re performance since its only an hour drive or the guys up ion Oregon. as of now, My 94 toyota pickup is sitting in the garage. good thing my dad let me borrow his 1994 toyota pickup.. haha. he's got 243K on it and it still runs great. I think it runs better than my truck before it took a coma..