Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

japan engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
japan engine

I've seen the link on here to japan engine.com...has anyone used them before & if so how did your engine work out?
Thanks

Last edited by ibornagain; 09-23-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my truck from japan came with a japanese engine i love it!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:11 AM

PIECES OF S**T!! I bought an engine from them (22re long block) it broke a valve spring within 200 miles, developed a knock and the crank was too small..resulting in low oil pressure and a leaky rear main seal..avoid these people at all costs.!!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:29 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by bigt
my truck from japan came with a japanese engine i love it!!!
CHEATER!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Japanese engines are a BAD idea most of the time, and let me outline why.

1. Low miles? I don't think so. Engines mileages are guessed and averaged. They are required to be pulled within a certain time period, NOT a mileage period. You MIGHT be getting 30k, but you MIGHT be getting 150k. Who knows?

2. Engines are not test run. They are pulled from the car and they nothing of the engine other than the outside appearance

3. Often times, engines are the wrong size/displacement. They will sell you a 21-RU which is a 1.9L version of the 22R. Small and slow. Same goes for other toyota models, ie a 2.0L V6 in the 1990 camry where its supposed to be a 2.5L, etc etc. Think your truck/car is underpowered now? Slap in a smaller engine

4. The engines are rarely maintained. Oil at over $15 a quart, plus you have to give up your car in 5 years? Why bother.

5. Japanese engines are not certified emissions legal in the USA. If you plan on ever driving it on the road, this engine will not work. Technically, the engines are illegal, but they get by on an "offroad use only" loophole.

So you see, japanese engines are a bad deal all around.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Japanese engines are a BAD idea most of the time, and let me outline why.

4. The engines are rarely maintained. Oil at over $15 a quart, plus you have to give up your car in 5 years? Why bother.
very good point

i think buying one of those motors is living on the edge a little bit. I would not hesitate to buy say a 2UZ-FE from them were i planning on rebuilding it and just needed the block but because of the risk of poor maintenance i wouldn't use one off the crate.

i was under the impression that it was a mileage requirement not a time requirement though for recycling engines?

They will sell you a 21-RU which is a 1.9L version of the 22R. Small and slow.
this isnt right though, im not sure if this is what they consider it in japan but a lot of people around here combine 22R+20R to make a 21RU the motors have much higher compression and with the correct carb setup make much much more power than a 22R and are considered a racing variant.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ibornagain
I've seen the link on here to japan engine.com...has anyone used them before & if so how did your engine work out?
Thanks
Whats wrong with yours in the first place??? thats the first thing we should all know!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:25 PM

well the engine has a "knock" not the timing chain more like a rod or main bearing...i started to day on removing the engine...almost have it out going to get a engine lift in a few minuites..I have a local machine shop who will do my machine work on the 22r...i am going to rebuild it my self...will most likely go stock on everything to keep cost down...if i put the engine back together it will save me 500 bucks...he will rebuild my engine head however...

Thanks
Old 09-23-2008, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds good! way better idea to DIY if you can. Once that motors rebuild it will be good for another 200K
Old 09-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by apalmer1
this isnt right though, im not sure if this is what they consider it in japan but a lot of people around here combine 22R+20R to make a 21RU the motors have much higher compression and with the correct carb setup make much much more power than a 22R and are considered a racing variant.
You are sorta right. They do combine the 20R and 22R to make an engine, but it is NOT a 21-RU. A 21-RU is a 1.9L japanese crate engine, low power and low torque. its NOT the hybrid engine we build in the US.

See this thread: http://forums.off-road.com/toyota-su...re-engine.html
Old 09-23-2008, 05:06 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
so, what is the designation for the hybrid motor that we build?? the 21R???
Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Staff

its not a 21R dammit!

Its just a 20/22R hybrid. A 21R is a real engine that toyota actually built for the Jap market. And it sux.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:42 AM

I was looking at JDM for a turbo swap for my MR2. It's got 235K on it so it's due. I'd rather have a turbo setup and go for the extra 100hp, even if it means rebuilding the motor. I mean, If I'm going to rebuild it, go for the gold and rebuild the stronger motor instead of the weaker one.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:15 PM

yeah up in canada you can get half cuts or buy from reputable people with a warrenty on your engine...

i love my jdm but i paid a little more to get one that was tested for a year "no winters" upgraded head and generally just an amazing find..

you gotta really watch yourself when importing vehicles or engines cuz roll backs arnt against the law in japan.. But most people drive in japan like 10 000km a year and some people like who ever had my truck take amazing care of it... it has all sorts of stickers that tell milage and what was done..

i heard that the states are hardocre on emissions and stuff.. up here a e test for my diesel was " wow man you got a nice truck ........"
they just look at the truck for diesel.

never thought i could get 25-30 mpgs on a truck style i been driving for 10 years getting way less on gas 22re style...

i tell you one thing my 22re could stomp this truck in a race lol
but i could pull a house down now!
Old 09-24-2008, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that Japan Engine does not sell used engines from Japan. They sell a rebuilt engine with a lot of new parts. I bought a set of valve adjusting screws from them and they were of high quality. On the entire engine quality, I could not say.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by apalmer1
very good point

i think buying one of those motors is living on the edge a little bit. I would not hesitate to buy say a 2UZ-FE from them were i planning on rebuilding it and just needed the block but because of the risk of poor maintenance i wouldn't use one off the crate.

i was under the impression that it was a mileage requirement not a time requirement though for recycling engines?

It is a mileage(kilometers) requirement for recycling and not re-reregistering after about 70k kilometers. Thats when they auction them off to dealers who either sell them to service members stationed in japan, or sell them to import/export companies.

My Japanese Surf with the 3.0 v6 purrs like a kitten still, and only has 110,000 kilometers. Alot of japanese people do take very good care of their vehicles, and oil is not expensive over here, so regular oil changes do take place...
Old 09-24-2008, 05:48 PM

yeah try finding a runner this clean in the rust belt!!!

most 2000s or 1998s i went and looked at had 200 000+km and def were not taken as good of care as mine..

DEF the cleanest 91 around my parts..

but i though this thread was about engines from japan not a company
sorry
Old 09-24-2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by cbrsport17
It is a mileage(kilometers) requirement for recycling and not re-reregistering after about 70k kilometers. Thats when they auction them off to dealers who either sell them to service members stationed in japan, or sell them to import/export companies.

My Japanese Surf with the 3.0 v6 purrs like a kitten still, and only has 110,000 kilometers. Alot of japanese people do take very good care of their vehicles, and oil is not expensive over here, so regular oil changes do take place...
nice post...thanks for the first hand knowledge. a lot of what people disseminate on this board is hearsay and reasonable deduction...not first hand knowledge. thanks.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Staff

No heresay here
Old 09-24-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by idayota
nice post...thanks for the first hand knowledge. a lot of what people disseminate on this board is hearsay and reasonable deduction...not first hand knowledge. thanks.
No problem sir, just trying to help out, i have gotten alot of help from this website so i just try to help out when i can. Luckily i have been living in japan for the past 3 1/2 yrs so i have gotten alot of knowledge of how they do business with their vehicles. When i first got here i could never understand why so many vehicles here had such low mileage, then i found out from the Vehicle Registration Office down in Naha, Okinawa and fully understand it now. They even have such rules as if you buy a Kei Car(really small type cars) they get free parking in most places and a way cheaper JCI inspection rate. The US should offer stuff like that in my opinion...

Quick Reply: japan engine