86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new 22re head-lube questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new 22re head-lube questions?

I've just received a new head I'm going to install on my 86 pickup(22re).
New cam and head bolts too-all stock. Can anyone give me some tips on initial lubrication before first start up? I.e., cam lube, break in guidelines.
I'm sure there are some helpful hints out there.
By the way, parts were ordered from engnbldr and there service is exceptional. Delivery was made way ahead of schedule-I am impressed.
Thanks to all in advance.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:15 AM

You can buy assembly lube at most auto stores. Coat the cam lobes and maybe the rockers if you want to get particular about it.

Verify you've got oil pressure before start up: pull the plugs, crank it over until the idiot light goes out or until your gauge registers pressure.. Then again, probably not critical if you don't pull apart the bottom end.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just poured all 5 quarts of oil over the cam and rockers with the valve cover off when I filled it. Then I put on the valve cover and fired it up.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fire5
I've just received a new head I'm going to install on my 86 pickup(22re).
New cam and head bolts too-all stock. Can anyone give me some tips on initial lubrication before first start up? I.e., cam lube, break in guidelines.
I'm sure there are some helpful hints out there.
By the way, parts were ordered from engnbldr and there service is exceptional. Delivery was made way ahead of schedule-I am impressed.
Thanks to all in advance.
Change the oil before you start the motor if you had the head off. Water always leaks out of the head when you replace them and ends up in the oil. Anitfreeze and oil and bearings do not mix.

If you have not already started I would advise replacing the rocker arms while you are at it. I know nothing about the condition of your old cam but if it had score or wear marks there is a good chance that the old rockers might cause the new cam to wear quicker or harder to adjust properly without rocker nosie.

Before you start the motor go back and check the Head bolt torque again just to play it safe and also double check the rocker arm adjustments again just to be safe and to make sure they are correct so you do not ruin a new cam.

As for lube your local auto store should have cam lube or engine builder lube.

I used the builder lube and poured some STP all over the cam before I installed the valve cover.

To properly break in the cam you should warm the motor up and let it run for about 20 minutes with you changing the RPM from around 1000prm to 1500rpm during the break in period.

After the 20 minutes stop the motor and while it is still hot double check the valves again. Go find lunch or somehow a way to kill a few hour to let the motor return to roon temp and only when the motor is cold re torque the head bolts to the proper setting. Install valve cover and you should be OK.

Over the next few days before you start the motor double check the fluid levels of the oil and radiator to make sure everything looks good.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:33 PM

The new parts came earlier than expected, so I still have a little prep. to do before installation. Hopefully this weekend I'll have the truck running.
The old cam lobes looked good, but for the price of the new one I just went with it, so the rockers should be good....right? Ha, Ha, I hope so! Any thoughts? The cam contact spots on the rockers are smooth so...
Old 11-23-2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
I just poured all 5 quarts of oil over the cam and rockers with the valve cover off when I filled it. Then I put on the valve cover and fired it up.
x2 - no problems.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by fire5
The old cam lobes looked good, but for the price of the new one I just went with it, so the rockers should be good....right? Ha, Ha, I hope so! Any thoughts? The cam contact spots on the rockers are smooth so...
new cam should get new rockers. use assembly lube on them.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:19 PM

I used power punch assembly lube, and changed the oil after the break in, then again at 1,000 miles.. then got back on my amsoil routine...

As far as break in IIRC its 1500-1800 RPM for the first 20-30 minutes... check your instructions as it should have the procedure...
Old 11-23-2006, 06:25 PM

Can anyone reccomend where to get new Rocker arms?

I talked to engnbldr and they told me that they either re-surface or get new ones from Toyota(but didn't give me a price). And LC engineerings are a bit more than I want to spend.