Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need Help in Seattle! (Starting concern)

Old 03-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need Help in Seattle! (Starting concern)

Need an honest mechanic and/or shop in the Seattle area. Please read on if you can possibly help me. Thanks...

Howdy. I own a 1992 Toyota 4x4 V6. I've gone through the pages and pages about starting issues and I think I have a problem with the solenoid. When I turn the key it just clicks once then stops. I turn the key again and the same thing happens. I keep on doing this until the starter catches, then the truck just starts right up with no noticed strain.

So, I replace the battery on a guess because it was quite old, besides if it wasn't I could use it for another truck and I wanted a gel cell for this rig anyway. The long and short of my situation is that the new battery didn't help.

Now, my biggest problem is not diagnosis. I'm confident I have all the tools and knowledge to fix this problem if I were home. However, I'm not at home. I'm living in Seattle for the next few months. My wife has lymphatic cancer, and she is receiving treatment at the Hutch (SCCA/Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center).

I'm wondering if anyone could possibly give me a name of a reputable and reasonable shop in the Seattle area? An honest mechanic? Or if anyone would be willing to spend a day helping me at their home? I'd gladly pay a fair wage, buy beer, or provide a gift certificate to a nice restaurant. Thanks everyone.

-Kevin
Old 03-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
the clicking your hearing is the stater contacts its a easy fix
Old 03-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Elton, yes I think you are right. The problem is that I don't live in Seattle, and my toolbox is 3 hours away. Hence it would require a 6 hour trip, plus the time to pull down the starter and replace/repair the solenoid. Do you know exactly what tools I would need to make this repair? I'd have to purchase everything here, so a specific list would be nice. Thanks for replying! -Kevin
Old 03-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
here http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/starter/ one more http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/
Old 03-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrenchmonster
Need an honest mechanic and/or shop in the Seattle area. Please read on if you can possibly help me. Thanks...

Howdy. I own a 1992 Toyota 4x4 V6. I've gone through the pages and pages about starting issues and I think I have a problem with the solenoid. When I turn the key it just clicks once then stops. I turn the key again and the same thing happens. I keep on doing this until the starter catches, then the truck just starts right up with no noticed strain.

So, I replace the battery on a guess because it was quite old, besides if it wasn't I could use it for another truck and I wanted a gel cell for this rig anyway. The long and short of my situation is that the new battery didn't help.

Now, my biggest problem is not diagnosis. I'm confident I have all the tools and knowledge to fix this problem if I were home. However, I'm not at home. I'm living in Seattle for the next few months. My wife has lymphatic cancer, and she is receiving treatment at the Hutch (SCCA/Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center).

I'm wondering if anyone could possibly give me a name of a reputable and reasonable shop in the Seattle area? An honest mechanic? Or if anyone would be willing to spend a day helping me at their home? I'd gladly pay a fair wage, buy beer, or provide a gift certificate to a nice restaurant. Thanks everyone.

-Kevin
Email me and I can put you in touch with both a professional shop and two different shade tree mechanics that WATTORA can state without a doubt will take care of you fairly. Who you use is up to you.

I am sorry your reason for being here happens to be that. I hope that all works out for you.

watrd at watrd dot com
Old 03-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Elton, thanks for the articles. And Rob, thanks for the support, I still may take you up on your offer. Since I last posted I've been able to convince the building managment to allow me to work on my truck. I've also been given access to some tools from another kind person. I ordered the parts yesterday at Toyota, and picked them up today. So, tomorrow, I will attempt to do the repair to the starter contacts myself. The contacts I picked up seem a little different though. One contact has a longer (wider) contact surface, a slightly longer bolt, and a knurled neck (forgot the part #). The other contact is 28226-72010, the one seen in the first article Elton sent. I'm wondering if this makes a difference? In any case, thanks everyone for their help. I'll post later after I get finished.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:13 PM

If you still are having trouble, I might be able to help a bit. Im not a licensed mechanic or anything, but I do and have always done all my own work on my vehicles, and I have tools. I live in Lynnwood, approx 25 miles from Seattle, but I work nights, so early in the morning is best for me. Anyway, if you do, PM me or whatever, and Ill see what I can do.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check www.4crawler.com for everything you need to know about starter contacts.

best wishes to you and your wife
Old 03-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Well I fixed the starting problem. The problem certainly was the starter contacts, as everyone suspected. The battery side was really messed up, while the other side was in okay shape. I replaced both contacts so they would be even, and cleaned everything up. Starts great now.

A big thanks to Elton, WATRD (Rob), Forsaken, and FilthyRich (Eric) for their help.

-Kevin