86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help with a bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with a bolt

Okay so I dropped my gas tank, after undoing the three hoses that run from the fuel pump bracket, into the engine. I believe one of these hoses is called the Emissions control hose. Anyway. There are three hoses, two are simple rubber hoses clamed on to metal pipes no big deal undoing those. And then there is a third one, it is a metal pipe "bolted through" the hose it connects too.

I need help unscrewing this pipe. I'm replacing the bracket so when the metal part of the hose broke it was no big deal. But Now, the only thing stopping me from re-mounting the gas tank, and starting the truck up, is this broken piece of hose.

There will be a picture here, to make things more clear. I've tried everything I know of. PB Blaster, channel locks to hold the pipe down, this sucker will not turn. I can't get either end to turn, and I'm afraid if I try and unscrew the other end, I'll break the pipe leading to the engine. I don't want that at all.

any ideas? Any help at all? I really need some pointers, I need to get this truck running fast.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How long did you let the PB Blaster work? Spray the heck out of it and leave it overnight at least. Make sure you get the back side too, if at all possible. Good luck, I believe that's called a banjo fitting. They are a bear!
Old 11-03-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
PB blast and a flare nut wrench. Hold the other side in a vice and rock it back and forth.

Also, that's not a banjo fitting, that's just a union. This is a banjo fitting on the bottom of this pic. It's a Celica, but you get the point- it's a Toyota fuel filter:

A closer look at a banjo:

(For the record, I just snagged that image from Google.)

Last edited by shaeff; 11-03-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man,

That is a bear. Those unions can be a problem. Like was said above, spray it and leave it overnight. DO NOT USE A TORCH. Just in case someone else throws that out there. It is a fuel line...

A line wrench will help to hold the hex better. They grab more points than an open end wrench.

It looks like you have already bent/crimped the engine side of that line, in the photo. You might have a fuel restriction there.

Good luck
Old 11-03-2009, 11:24 PM

Originally, I thought I had crimped the engine side, but on further inspection, I noticed that it seems like that's been curved on purpose. The line curves up, following the body shape of the underside of the truck. Of course..maybe it is crimped. >.< I reaaallly hope not. What does this line go to? Something in the fuel injector I suppose? probably have to replace another 160 dollar part lol.

Actually, someone did mention using heat. I found myself laying under the truck on a piece of thin wood panelling that had been rather well soaked with some gas a couple days prior, looking at a fuel line coated with pb blaster, and decided to put the lighter away. Haha.

When you say a line wrench, do you mean the...round side of the wrench? I've tried fitted wrenches, and putting some channel locks on this thing to hold it down. Nothing is turning these suckers. Does anyone know if it's possible to cut the rubber part of the hose and simply..replace the "union" bolt/nut/thingy?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by OutlawMike
Man,

It looks like you have already bent/crimped the engine side of that line, in the photo. You might have a fuel restriction there.

Good luck
On a side thought. If that IS crimped...Would squeezing it a bit on the sides like..open it back up maybe?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by A_CavanaughWebb
On a side thought. If that IS crimped...Would squeezing it a bit on the sides like..open it back up maybe?
Might make it worse. Sort of like when you squeeze a soda can, and then squeeze it just opposite of where you did to try and round it out, sometimes the can can weaken and split open. The same might happen here. If worse comes to worse, you can always just cut that section out and replace it with a rubber hose, can't you?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:42 AM

that line looks very similar to a break line you might be able to swap it out with one. NAPA usually carries them unbent and you have to hand bend them yourself to whatever shape you need. The bad part is your going to need to find out where that other end is. That's a worst case scenario though. It would be easier to cut it and run a hose.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 AM
User Requested Ban

do not use pb blaster or wd-40.

use a mix of transmission fluid and acetone. It works 1000 times better than either of those.

mix it up, rub it on and let it sit overnight.

can reduce the breaking power from 500 ft-lb to 20 ft-lb.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I did this I cut the hard line up to the fitting and put a socket wrench on that side and a line wrench on the other. Use cheater pipe and patience, no sweat.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
That can be a real pain in the butt...I just took a small pipe cutter and cut it out. Mine was leaking though.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by theAuthority

use a mix of transmission fluid and acetone. It works 1000 times better than either of those.

Really?
o.0
Old 11-04-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by theAuthority

Yep, that works too. I've done that a few times. I also know a sweet old mechanic's trick for loosening things that absolutely refuse to break free. Works better than the acetone and tranny fluid mix.
Originally Posted by peow130
Really?
o.0
For sure.

For what it's worth, I finally have to replace my hardline from the tank to the filter. I replaced the pump hanger about 4 years ago. My fuel line has been patched since then, and it's SUPER crusty now. I get a wicked discount at my dealership. List price for the hardline is $54.02, I paid $29.71 for it. Totally worth every penny.

If anyone's wondering, it's P/N: 7720535170- Tube sub-assy, fuel- for my '94 4x4 short bed. It'll be nice to have a brand new line on there just for piece of mind, as I take the truck on three four hour each-way trips.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:33 AM

Old 11-04-2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by lumpy
Old 11-04-2009, 11:46 AM

One, two, three, four, five
Hunt the hare and turn her down the rocky road and all the way to Dublin, whack-fol-la-de-da!

Didn't like what I had posted...

Ok now get on with it. We have not heard from the OP for a bit. Wonder if he got it?

Cut it, compression fit it and move on.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:16 PM
User Requested Ban

Originally Posted by peow130
Really?
o.0

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...arison-193496/
Old 11-04-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
One, two, three, four, five
Hunt the hare and turn her down the rocky road and all the way to Dublin, whack-fol-la-de-da!

Didn't like what I had posted...

Ok now get on with it. We have not heard from the OP for a bit. Wonder if he got it?

Cut it, compression fit it and move on.
I've had a compression fitting on my fuel line for 3+ years. I drove the truck again today- I've got a nasty leak. The frame rail is soaked with gas. I'll be pulling the box this weekend.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:32 PM

Alrighty...I'm not sure about the rubber hose thing. I've now realized this is the main fuel line. Lol I'm so new to all of this stuff, I'm not comfortable trying most of this stuff on my own. As for that breakup solution of Transmission fluid and Acetone..where did you learn that? I think I'm going to try that. I was also thinking about simply replacing the hardline but a friend of mine that fixes up toyota pick ups for a living reccomended against it. On sunday he's going to come out with parts from his shop and help me get it off.

The transmission and acetone. Do you mix it in equal parts? Is it diluted with anything? Will it work if I just pour it over it and let it sit? And...where the hell do I get acetone?
Old 11-04-2009, 04:51 PM

My dad taught me the acetone tranny fluid trick. Lots of old timers use it. Mix it 50/50. It's best if you can let the stuck part sit in the solution, but dripping it over will work, too.

Quick Reply: Need help with a bolt