Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Mystery trans?

Old 09-20-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery trans?

I bought a really nice and nearly rust-free 93 pickup with a 5spd and a 22-RE a few months ago as an emergency commuter when the brakes went out my Ford. I was planning on selling it as soon as I got the other truck running, but I fell in love with the little beast, and now it's the F-150 that's getting sold (yay for trading up!) I decided to have a mechanic friend of mine check it out to give me an idea of what I might need to repair to make sure she lives forever, and got some interesting news back. The engine seems to have been rebuild well and recently, there's some noise in the rear diff and it may need to be rebuilt eventually, and my speedo isn't working because someone capped off the sensor, and put in a tranny with a cable style speed sensor! Does anyone have any idea what kind of trans I may have or how to find out? I'd like to fix my speedometer, and it'd be good to know what parts I'm looking for if the diff was swapped too.

Last edited by NotKauaiet; 09-20-2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to say it's a 5spd 22-RE
Old 09-21-2018, 12:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You most likely have a older w series transmission made before the speedo by wire

pictures would tell us for sure

simple fix might be a older style cable driven cluster i am not sure if the speed sensor can be adapted to the older trans
Old 09-21-2018, 06:10 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
is this a 2wd or 4wd truck? You can find could use 3rd members usually fairly cheap and just swap them if you wanna save a few $$$

You might consider a cheap GPS as a speedo or if you find (4×4) you have an early gear driven case you could use a vss n converter from marlin (excuse the double pics the hosting code does that sometimes)
Originally Posted by dropzone
this post is mainly so i don't forget how to do this.
This allows you to keep your electric speedometer, when converting from chain drive transfer case to a gear driven transfer case. saves having to tear apart your cluster and converting to a 4 cylinder mechanical speedo...PITA

I will probably have to extend the harness a few inches to reach the back transfercase, unless i can find my original cable extension from the 81..

thanks for 85toyman for the info! its appreciated Don

A Marlin Crawler VSS (Variable Speed Sensor) is needed to get the electronic speedo to work in 92-95 4runners when converting from chain drive to gear drive transfer cases

trouble shooting info
To troubleshoot the operation of the sensor, connect a 12 VDC power source across pins 1 (+VDC) and 2 (GND), and connect a multimeter across pin 3 (SIG) and the power source ground (or pin 2). With your multimeter set to read voltage, you will see two distinct voltage readings as you slowly rotate the shaft of our VSS: 0.07-0.08 VDC and 12 VDC. The lower reading is the nominal voltage (outputs at least this much voltage), and the 12 V reading is the pulsed output signal (which occurs exactly 4 times during one full shaft rotation).

VSS_diagram320

The pulsating output signal (pin 3) will be the same as the input voltage at pin 1 slightly stepped down from internal resistance. If a lower voltage signal is needed, then use a relay, controlled by your vehicle's ignition ON power source, to activate a different power circuit whose voltage has been reduced through a resistor.

Any vehicle input voltage may be supplied and the output will always be the same as the input. The voltage drop due to internal resistance is about 5 millivolts (0.005 VDC) and may be neglected. For example, if you input 5.00 VDC at pin 1, you'll receive 5.00 VDC at pin 3 at four distinct positions per shaft rotation. Connect 8.25 VDC to pin 1, you'll get four 8.25 VDC signals at pin 3. And so on...

sensor from Marlin:

electric-vehicle-speed-sensor

variable speed sensor compared to gear drive sensor

vehicle-speed-sensor-comparison

VSS installed on gear drive sensor

electric-vehicle-speed-sensor-installed

Last edited by dropzone; 09-21-2018 at 06:11 AM.